Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 150
  1. #31
    Long Live The Phantom Aioros22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I think we can safely say Sheila has no place in this continuity and Catherine is officially his brith mother.

    Also, after rereading, I actually like the art much more and I think it fit the tone perfectly.
    They`ve been taking Sheila`s importance and character away slowly since the 2011 reboot. That`s pretty much the one thing I dislike about the mythos of the character but it`s been a thing since the animated UTRH wholy skipped it to just a Jason and Joker situation.

    The real reason I dislike it is because despite Loedbell writting it well (issue 9) it steals away the strongest reason for Jason to go to Middle East and to his demise being heroic despite whatever issues he dealing with. In contrast, it`s now mostly Jason trying to stop the Joker from dealing with nuclear weapons in a case with Batman or Jason having a fallout with Batman and going after the Joker to prove himself like in The Last Crusade (this one with the in-story assertion that Jason was supposed to take over Bruce in the near future, however).

    I think him trying to stop the Joker out of an arms deal because he made the cal is still fine, they`ve just been sketchy with the details.
    White Tiger P.O.C
    https://vimeo.com/195242203

    "Take your clowns and get out!"
    https://68.media.tumblr.com/ec7a9a0c...e68o1_1280.png

    I don`t care
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FPkrddyP0v...s1600/02-4.png

    "Second star to the right... and straight on till morning"
    http://www.benreillytribute.x10host....BenGrieves.jpg

  2. #32
    Long Live The Phantom Aioros22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,080

    Default

    As for this, yeah looks like Artemis will have some explaining to do for Jason.
    White Tiger P.O.C
    https://vimeo.com/195242203

    "Take your clowns and get out!"
    https://68.media.tumblr.com/ec7a9a0c...e68o1_1280.png

    I don`t care
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FPkrddyP0v...s1600/02-4.png

    "Second star to the right... and straight on till morning"
    http://www.benreillytribute.x10host....BenGrieves.jpg

  3. #33
    Caperucita Roja Zaresh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Just passing by to say: holy crap, that was so intense! I usually don't cry easily with fiction, and it did make me cry a little. Christ, so good!

    I'll read your posts later and discuss, but for now, I'll go have a meal or something, and let it rest a bit.
    I love sleeping, I really do. But I also love to do all kinds of stuff. Which means I don't sleep enough in the end.

    This is my Tumblr in case you are curious about my sleeplacking activity.

  4. #34
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    They`ve been taking Sheila`s importance and character away slowly since the 2011 reboot.
    Shiela was erased by the reboot, in the new 52 Catherine was the one he wanted to rescue from the Joker.

  5. #35
    Long Live The Phantom Aioros22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Shiela was erased by the reboot, in the new 52 Catherine was the one he wanted to rescue from the Joker.
    Weird, I recall Catherine supposely dying of overdose in Gotham. There`s the zero issue with Joker narrating the origin which implies being behind her death but that`s the Joker.

    Good excuse as anything to go back and re-read the former volume in one sitting.
    White Tiger P.O.C
    https://vimeo.com/195242203

    "Take your clowns and get out!"
    https://68.media.tumblr.com/ec7a9a0c...e68o1_1280.png

    I don`t care
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FPkrddyP0v...s1600/02-4.png

    "Second star to the right... and straight on till morning"
    http://www.benreillytribute.x10host....BenGrieves.jpg

  6. #36
    Incredible Member Rise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    848

    Default

    Sheila has been erased since the reboot, but I do think she is such a missed opportunity.

    Anyway, there's some great analysis from this reviewer about the issue which I personally think it worth reading.

  7. #37
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Look East
    Posts
    4,774

    Default

    Honestly i don't see the Penguin dying at all. How is Jason going to resolve the upcoming brawl with Batman if he does?
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    They`ve been taking Sheila`s importance and character away slowly since the 2011 reboot. That`s pretty much the one thing I dislike about the mythos of the character but it`s been a thing since the animated UTRH wholy skipped it to just a Jason and Joker situation.

    The real reason I dislike it is because despite Loedbell writting it well (issue 9) it steals away the strongest reason for Jason to go to Middle East and to his demise being heroic despite whatever issues he dealing with. In contrast, it`s now mostly Jason trying to stop the Joker from dealing with nuclear weapons in a case with Batman or Jason having a fallout with Batman and going after the Joker to prove himself like in The Last Crusade (this one with the in-story assertion that Jason was supposed to take over Bruce in the near future, however).

    I think him trying to stop the Joker out of an arms deal because he made the cal is still fine, they`ve just been sketchy with the details.
    DOTF is mostly retconned now as well so your argument is moot now.

    This issue was fantastic and a marked improvement over the past few issues, story was focused and properly build towards a satisfying cliffhanger. However my favorite part is how well Lobdell managed to humanize Willis and turning him from a sleazy good for nothing into a fully realized character that only tried to do the best for his family with what he was dealt by life.

  9. #39
    Long Live The Phantom Aioros22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,080

    Default

    I don`t have an argument, I`m pointing out that Jason`s death still happened in the Middle East but the details as to why he was there have been kept sketchy, whereas Catherine`s demisehas always been linked to Gotham due to overdose. I understand that Sheila has been retconned out and while I see it as missed opportunity I enjoy the world building Loedbell has been doing in the book and in the character`s overall mythos.
    White Tiger P.O.C
    https://vimeo.com/195242203

    "Take your clowns and get out!"
    https://68.media.tumblr.com/ec7a9a0c...e68o1_1280.png

    I don`t care
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FPkrddyP0v...s1600/02-4.png

    "Second star to the right... and straight on till morning"
    http://www.benreillytribute.x10host....BenGrieves.jpg

  10. #40
    Long Live The Phantom Aioros22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,080

    Default

    Great review there Rise, the lettering examples are spot on in conveying emotion across time.
    White Tiger P.O.C
    https://vimeo.com/195242203

    "Take your clowns and get out!"
    https://68.media.tumblr.com/ec7a9a0c...e68o1_1280.png

    I don`t care
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FPkrddyP0v...s1600/02-4.png

    "Second star to the right... and straight on till morning"
    http://www.benreillytribute.x10host....BenGrieves.jpg

  11. #41
    Astonishing Member G-Potion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,875

    Default

    Just rip my heart out already Lobdell and co.

  12. #42
    Astonishing Member G-Potion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    Weird, I recall Catherine supposely dying of overdose in Gotham. There`s the zero issue with Joker narrating the origin which implies being behind her death but that`s the Joker.

    Good excuse as anything to go back and re-read the former volume in one sitting.
    I would much prefer Sheila as his mom. But I also remember somewhere in N52 Jason found out that Catherine was in fact still alive and went to the Middle East to reunite with her. All part of Joker's plan.

  13. #43
    Astonishing Member G-Potion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,875

    Default

    Willis's jacket looks like Jason's.

  14. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G-Potion View Post
    I would much prefer Sheila as his mom.
    Why you prefer Sheila?

    She wasn't a great character in execution or concept and is only a contrived reason to move Jason away from Bruce in time to get murdered. Katherine at least has been integrated organically into Jason's story making more believable his reasons to go looking for her.

  15. #45
    Fantastic Member okiedokiewo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Honestly i don't see the Penguin dying at all. How is Jason going to resolve the upcoming brawl with Batman if he does?
    Well, yeah, plus it's the Penguin.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •