Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Tom King Appearing On Late Night With Seth Meyers June 12th!

DC writer Tom King is scheduled to be a guest on NBC's Late Night with Seth Meyers, according to show producer Mike Shoemaker.

King is scheduled for the Tuesday, June 12 edition of the late-night talk show - just weeks before Batman and Catwoman's planned marriage in July 4's Batman #50.
    https://www.newsarama.com/40264-tom-...th-meyers.html

So first Morrison now King. Has King also got a TV series out? Klaus is doing great and just got extended

Looks like Tom King is making it to the mainstream, which seems like a weird thing to say .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Looks like Tom King is making it to the mainstream, which seems like a weird thing to say .
    Despite the "divisiveness" of his work, his stories are kind of very mainstream, especially compared to Scott Snyder's work.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Despite the "divisiveness" of his work, his stories are kind of very mainstream, especially compared to Scott Snyder's work.
    Honestly, compared to King (or even Morrison), I'd think Snyder is more mainstream.

His work that I find the most mainstream is Grayson, co written with Seeley.

His Batman isn't as mainstream as Snyder's or other authors take on the character, but it still plays inside the normal superheroes comicbooks's parameters.

Vision and Mr Miracle feel quite different with what I'm use to in superheroes comicbooks and I think are his works closer to indies-for lack of a better word, since there are indies about superheroes- that he has written inside the big two companies main continuities.

I haven't read Sherrif of Babylon, nor Omega Men, so I can't talk much about them. All in all, I see King as a writer nowhere as close to mainstream as most writers who work for DC or Marvel are. When I think of mainstream, I think in people like Geoff Johns or Peter J Tomasi.

I don't think being more or less mainstream makes you better or worse than others, or your work more valid, just in case my post was giving that impression.
    Last edited by Chubistian; 06-07-2018 at 02:17 PM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    His work that I find the most mainstream is Grayson, co written with Seeley.

His Batman isn't as mainstream as Snyder's or other authors take on the character, but it still plays inside the normal superheroes comicbooks's parameters.

Vision and Mr Miracle feel quite different with what I'm use to in superheroes comicbooks and I think are his works closer to indies-for lack of a better word, since there are indies about superheroes- that he has written inside the big two companies main continuities.

I haven't read Sherrif of Babylon, nor Omega Men, so I can't talk much about them. All in all, I see King as a writer nowhere as close to mainstream as most writers who work for DC or Marvel are. When I think of mainstream, I think in people like Geoff Johns or Peter J Tomasi.

I don't think being more or less mainstream makes you better or worse than others, or your work more valid, just in case my post was giving that impression.
    I tend to agree - King's stuff is slowly paced, carefully constructed with a strong eye to artistic formalism over excitement, and tends to be deeply moody as opposed to actiony (not that he doesn't do excellent action). I haven't read Sherrif either, but I have read Omega Men, and it's very much of a piece with Vision and Mister Miracle.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Should be interesting. Most interviews of his I've read, King seems to lean toward just saying what he thinks people want to hear (especially now he's a company man), but maybe he'll drop some news or offer some fresh insight into his projects.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I tend to agree - King's stuff is slowly paced, carefully constructed with a strong eye to artistic formalism over excitement, and tends to be deeply moody as opposed to actiony (not that he doesn't do excellent action). I haven't read Sherrif either, but I have read Omega Men, and it's very much of a piece with Vision and Mister Miracle.
    I meant he's more mainstream than Snyder in terms of broad concepts (Joker/Riddler gang wars! Batman revealing a suicidal streak! Batman and Catwoman wedding! Joker secretly wanting to be Batman's best man! Poison Ivy mind-controlling the whole world! etc.) that would catch the attention of more people than most of Snyder's concepts, which tend to require more knowledge of the mythos to fully grasp their impact, or introduce entirely new characters/villains).

Quote Originally Posted by CryNotWolf View Post
    Should be interesting. Most interviews of his I've read, King seems to lean toward just saying what he thinks people want to hear (especially now he's a company man), but maybe he'll drop some news or offer some fresh insight into his projects.
    Hopefully he talks about Sanctuary.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 06-07-2018 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I meant he's more mainstream than Snyder in terms of broad concepts (Joker/Riddler gang wars! Batman revealing a suicidal streak! Batman and Catwoman wedding! Joker secretly wanting to be Batman's best man! Poison Ivy mind-controlling the whole world! etc.) that would catch the attention of more people than most of Snyder's concepts, which tend to require more knowledge of the mythos to fully grasp their impact, or introduce entirely new characters/villains).
    I dunno, I think Snyder's ideas on paper were pretty straightforward.

- Batman vs. Secret Society of Gotham.

- Joker destroys the Batfamily.

- Batman and Joker's "final" battle.

- Jim Gordon as Batman in a Mecha Bat-Suit (Okay, that might garner some side-eyes ).

Really, the only Synder "Bat-Story" I can see being difficult for newbies to get into is Metal, but that's because it's so entrenched in DCU lore.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    So first Morrison now King.
    Actually he has had many more comics people on than just those. Seth is the one late night host doing us a real solid even though I'm sure a few of them must read comics. Let's definitely support him!

TK will be a great get because he has such an interesting personal story to his career. Surely that will come up right away and probably the Batman wedding but that's it.

Honestly, compared to King (or even Morrison), I'd think Snyder is more mainstream.
    If had not came back to comics, I would not had even heard of Scott Snyder or Metal. He is not more mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by dishpan View Post
    Actually he has had many more comics people on than just those. Seth is the one late night host doing us a real solid even though I'm sure a few of them must read comics. Let's definitely support him!

TK will be a great get because he has such an interesting personal story to his career. Surely that will come up right away and probably the Batman wedding but that's it.
    Keep in mind this is not about the comics per say but the cultural impact of Bat/Cat getting married. Folks may not read the comics but they know that couple through the mainstream and the BIG comic stories like HUSH. It’s just like when Jimmy Fallon mentioned their engagement on his show last year.

That’s who is going after appearing on this show.

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    If had not came back to comics, I would not had even heard of Scott Snyder or Metal. He is not more mainstream.
    I never really though that King would be someone non-comic fans would be that aware of either, but I guess the wedding did get a lot of social media attention.

I never really though that King would be someone non-comic fans would be that aware of either, but I guess the wedding did get a lot of social media attention.
    The wedding would get a lot of attention because again, the couple’s place in pop culture and with general audiences. They wouldn’t know King either.

Maybe it doesn’t seem likely they have a place to some people here on the CBR Batman forums but this is a big deal for pop culture and for BOTH the Mainstream and General Audience culture.

I mean, it’s people who think they been together in the for years or got a child together, lol!