Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Expect the Unexpected - The Unexpected Appreciation Thread

A new Crisis is brewing, and they are the first line of defense... not exactly what you expected right ?

In the aftermath of DARK NIGHTS: METAL, the DC Universe has been forever changed as new heroes are called out of the shadows. Amid this all is Janet Fals...Firebrand! Once a paramedic dedicated to saving lives, she must now start a fight once every 24 hours to feed the Conflict Engine that’s replaced her heart. But Janet’s heart isn’t just a curse—it’s a beacon, drawing out both the mysterious Neon the Unknown and the seductive, malevolent Bad Samaritan. One of them wants to cut out her heart, the other wants to save it—but neither of them knows the true danger hidden within that will kick off a superhero manhunt ranging from Thanagar to the deepest heart of the Dark Multiverse!

https://www.dccomics.com/comics/the-...e-unexpected-1

And they faced off against Macho Man Randy Savage!

But half of those guys kind of died in the first issue. Unless they resurrect later on?

This was a good first issue, coming from someone who thought Orlando’s JLA and Supergirl were boring.

Amazing Member

They all look cool, but I don't like the idea of using the names of other, unrelated heroes.

It was a good issue but easier to digest on a second read. The team dynamic has potential even if the first issue was a bit thin.

I wanted them to team up with Hawkman down the road.

I loved this first issue! I liked the wild, vibrant, kinda mysterious feel of it. it was full of character and, speaking of which, I loved the gnarly character designs. I like the way they are building on the darker cosmic stuff from Dark Knights Metal. If it plays it right this could be one of my favorite new titles of this year. This, Sideways, and Silencer are my top 3 New Age of Heroes books so far. Holding out hope for Immortal Men tho.

Fantastic Member

Why is Hawkman still the dragon of Barbatos? I thought he has returned to normal after Metal.

Well, the Dark Multiverse is the result of fears and hopes and nightmares and dreams from the Normal Multiverse. I guess that somehow, this Version of the Dragon endured because of it.

I enjoyed this more than I expected to.
    Making my enjoyment... unexpected? ;-)

I'll stick around for the first arc. I love the Firebrand character. Neon intrigues me despite his emo Dr. Strange appearance. With these characters being non-mainstream and less marketable, I'm hoping this allows Orlando to really stretch his imagination and wow us.

Invincible Member

I found it interesting so far.

Since this is kind of the 70's Defenders analogue, I'm hoping to see a Silver Surfer substitute.
    Last edited by ed2962; 06-09-2018 at 05:48 PM.

I was very pleased with this issue. Some nice twists I didn't expect, references to Mandrakk, interesting character in Firebrand, stellar art and excellent designs.......honestly this issue was worth the price of admission just for the villain, in all his crazy Randy Savage glory.

I hope those two characters are, and remain, dead though. That's be quite unexpected, and I'm hoping this title lives up to its name.

I had little interest in this book when it was first announced, but once interviews and character designs started coming out my interest spiked, and I gotta say the first issue didn't disappoint at all. If Orlando can keep this up and build on it, Unexpected might become one of the best titles DC has right now, and given how much I'm enjoying Justice League and Man of Steel, that's fairly high praise.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member

I was looking forward to this book coming out. The Unexpected, the Terrifics and the New Challengers were the three books I was most interested in and none of them were disappointments. I really enjoyed this issues even though I thought Orlando's JLA wasn't that great.
    It also seems weird to me that most of the Age of Heroes titles are directly "homages" to Marvel books. Damage (the Hulk/Weapon H), the Terrifics (Fantastic Four), Sideways (Spider-Man), the Curse of Brimstone (Ghost Rider) and the Unexpected (the original Defenders). I mean the Unexpected look so much like versions and combinations of Doctor Strange, the Hulk, Valkyrie, Namor and Silver Surfer (Firebrand, bald, energy based and super powerful energy source) but, for me, was part of the draw. Very interested in seeing where it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I hope those two characters are, and remain, dead though. That's be quite unexpected, and I'm hoping this title lives up to its name.
    Do you think it's possible ? I mean, it would be a very huge twist, especially since we have the next two solicits and all... but I guess they could be somewhat misleading...

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marxtles View Post
    I was looking forward to this book coming out. The Unexpected, the Terrifics and the New Challengers were the three books I was most interested in and none of them were disappointments. I really enjoyed this issues even though I thought Orlando's JLA wasn't that great.
    It also seems weird to me that most of the Age of Heroes titles are directly "homages" to Marvel books. Damage (the Hulk/Weapon H), the Terrifics (Fantastic Four), Sideways (Spider-Man), the Curse of Brimstone (Ghost Rider) and the Unexpected (the original Defenders). I mean the Unexpected look so much like versions and combinations of Doctor Strange, the Hulk, Valkyrie, Namor and Silver Surfer (Firebrand, bald, energy based and super powerful energy source) but, for me, was part of the draw. Very interested in seeing where it goes.
    I was getting more of a Namor vibe from Firebrand rather than Surfer ( super strong, arrogant attitude) but as a combo I guess that works.

I really liked this issue. Nice to see Midnighter Orlando again instead of JLA and Supergirl Orlando. I hope the better version sticks around.