Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Cause I knew...
    Attachment 67116
    This is from 2001 last time I checked 2001 Was BEFORE 2005's Bloodlines mini
    Sooooooooooooo
    Tsk muthaf^ckin Tsk
    Don't come for my GenX knowledge
    You gonna look foolish
    Meh , I stand corrected , but it was so inconsequential that I forgot all about it.

And you immediately thought that she was supposed to be Black just because of that? Again, there are White people in the Carribbean, even Bermuda!

And that picture proves my point that Blink’s appearance was indeed RetConned. Does she still look anything like she does in the current Exiles series? Hair, skin, nose is all different! She is supposed to be the color of Violet, even Magenta, but not Purple!
    Last edited by JDC001; 06-14-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDC001 View Post
    Meh , I stand corrected , but it was so inconsequential that I forgot all about it.

And you immediately thought that she was supposed to be Black just because of that?

And that picture proves my point that Blink’s appearance was indeed RetConned. Does she still look anything like she does in the current Exiles series? Hair, skin, nose is all different! She is supposed to be the color of Aubergines, not Grapes!
    You find yourself corrected so you make it sound like it was no big deal when you were making it such a big deal originally? Tsk tsk tsk

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    You find yourself corrected so you make it sound like it was no big deal when you were making it such a big deal originally? Tsk tsk tsk
    It’s a big deal that people are insisting that AOA Blink was always supposed to be Black because the revelation that she came from Bermuda was no big deal at all , a passing exposition in a single panel in an obscure LS 6 years after her debut AND it didn’t say that she was Black in said panel next to a picture where she looks White tsk tsk tsk

It’s a big deal that people are insisting that AOA Blink was always supposed to be Black because the revelation that she came from Bermuda was no big deal at all , a passing exposition in a single panel in an obscure LS 6 years after her debut AND it didn’t say that she was Black in said panel next to a picture where she looks White tsk tsk tsk
    Yet here you are, making it a bigger deal than anybody else for no reason whatsoever because they were right all along? Tsk tsk tsk

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

But why is it a problem with Blink but not Monet, who started off black and got turned into a white woman? Lets say Blink was retconned as black. Monet got retconned as white. Do you also have issues with that?

Most people complaining about Blink's race were probably quiet as mice when Monet got white washed. So then, it doesn't look like people hating a retcon. So much they don't like that Blink is / looks black. Meanwhile, Monet getting less black-looking is cool -now she's more marketable.

Same way people complain about Zazie playing Domino, and claiming that hate it because it's not accurate. Even though TONS of stuff in that film wasn't. And nobody complained. And even people reading the comics are still griping about Domino being black in the films. Even though the adaptations were never known for being 100% faithful to the source material.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    But why is it a problem with Blink but not Monet, who started off black and got turned into a white woman? Lets say Blink was retconned as black. Monet got retconned as white. Do you also have issues with that?

Most people complaining about Blink's race were probably quiet as mice when Monet got white washed. So then, it doesn't look like people hating a retcon. So much they don't like that Blink is / looks black. Meanwhile, Monet getting less black-looking is cool -now she's more marketable.

Same way people complain about Zazie playing Domino, and claiming that hate it because it's not accurate. Even though TONS of stuff in that film wasn't. And nobody complained. And even people reading the comics are still griping about Domino being black in the films. Even though the adaptations were never known for being 100% faithful to the source material.
    It was sorta weird to see more people gripe about Domino's skin color than Cable's "made fit for the story" alterations.

Spectacular Member

Ah, but I was always against M’s (and Sunspot’s and Asp’s and etcetera) race-changes as well, just as I am against Blink’s physical appearance retcon in the grounds that she’s supposed to be Black , when there have always been Black girls with Blink’s original facial features. Changes in skin color tone can be tolerated because in RL people can and do use substances to lighten and darken for aesthetic preferences, so suspension of disbelief is still possible. But nobody has a rhinoplasty to change the bone structure of their nose to be bigger and flatter, but just the opposite in fact , to make it smaller and straighter. It may sound non-PC , even negatively racist, to the overly-sensitive but it’s true. Google “female celebrities nose jobs”. So are we saying that Blink now had a reverse (to the norm) nosejob, in order to celebrate her ethnic heritage (at least so far on her mother’s side) like with the change in her hairstyle? That is is already a bridge too far!
    Last edited by JDC001; 06-14-2018 at 10:37 PM.

Ah, but I was always against M’s (and Sunspot’s and Asp’s and etcetera) race-changes as well, just as I am against Blink’s physical appearance retcon in the grounds that she’s supposed to be Black , when there have always been Black girls with Blink’s original facial features. Changes in skin color tone can be tolerated because in RL people can and do use substances to lighten and darken for aesthetic preferences, so suspension of disbelief is still possible. But nobody has a rhinoplasty to change the bone structure of their nose to be bigger and flatter, but just the opposite in fact , to make it smaller and straighter. It may sound non-PC , even negatively racist, to the overly-sensitive but it’s true. Google “female celebrities nose jobs”. So are we saying that Blink now had a reverse (to the norm) nosejob, in order to celebrate her ethnic heritage (at least so far on her mother’s side) like with the change in her hairstyle? That is is already a bridge too far!
    That's not the only reference to her being from Bahamas you keep referencing some shitty mini about colussus but disregard one that came out 5 years before kinda seems like you gotta a problem with her being West Indie
    Buuuuut
    Lol bruh you so mad you arguing about nose jobs when people very race changes. You obvy dont much about Blink. Maybe she embraced her inner 'Yonce and got in "formation" as heard in The song... "I like my negro nose with Jackson Five nostrils" #swag

But earlier you said those features were "white", which proves her being black is a retcon.

And Monet wasn't just lightened. She came on the scene with curly hair, and full facial features.

Then when she first appeared in Generation X, she started to look like this.

They toed the line a few times in Generation X, but they completely race swapped her when X-Factor came around.

Not only is her skin now that of a white woman. But they gave her a different nose, mouth, hair, and eye color. The same thing people are mad about with Blink. Except in reverse. lol I don't see how there's an excuse, or way to tolerate Monet's change, but be so annoyed with Blink's.

And I have heard Scott Lobdell, Monet's own creator, said she was black. I have to search and find where he said it. Because if he did, it makes what Marvel did even worse. There was no reason to change her appearance & race from what she originally started as.

Now getting on to Blink. If we go on stereotypical features, she never looked Asian either. But in the live-action film, she's depicted by an Asian actress. And some fans were thinking she was Asian. Is that also as bad?

Spectacular Member

But earlier you said those features were "white", which proves her being black is a retcon.

And Monet wasn't just lightened. She came on the scene with curly hair, and full facial features.

Then when she first appeared in Generation X, she started to look like this.

They toed the line a few times in Generation X, but they completely race swapped her when X-Factor came around.

Not only is her skin now that of a white woman. But they gave her a different nose, mouth, hair, and eye color. The same thing people are mad about with Blink. Except in reverse. lol I don't see how there's an excuse, or way to tolerate Monet's change, but be so annoyed with Blink's.

And I have heard Scott Lobdell, Monet's own creator, said she was black. I have to search and find where he said it. Because if he did, it makes what Marvel did even worse. There was no reason to change her appearance & race from what she originally started as.

Now getting on to Blink. If we go on stereotypical features, she never looked Asian either. But in the live-action film, she's depicted by an Asian actress. And some fans were thinking she was Asian. Is that also as bad?
    Her being Black is indeed a retcon but for me that’s no the problem per se, the problem is that her nose is now too different, it’s extremely distracting.

And YMMV but Monet still looks roughly the same as she always did, at least to me. Look at the art in Uncanny Xmen 325, the double-sized anniversary issue with gorgeous Anime-style art by the same team who worked on the AoA Astonishing Xmen, where Scott, Jean, Henry, Lucas, and Ororo all have a baseball game with M and Skin and you’ll see that as far back as 1995, M was distinctly Middle-Eastern Brown with Wavy Blue-Black Hair (her dad’s dad is Native French, her dad’s mom is Native Algerian, and her mom’s side is presumably Native Algerian as well) as opposed to African Black with Straight White Hair, as represented by Storm . They clearly look different from each other, ethnically-speaking, in that issue.

And Movieverse Blink is an Alternate Reality so being of a different ethnicity is just to be expected as being par for the course, but Exiles Blink is supposed to be the exact same character as AoA Blink, so the change in her appearance is really defying reason at first glance.
    Last edited by JDC001; 06-15-2018 at 06:46 AM.

Her being Black is indeed a retcon but for me that’s no the problem per se, the problem is that her nose is now too different, it’s extremely distracting.

And YMMV but Monet still looks roughly the same as she always did, at least to me. Look at the art in Uncanny Xmen 325, the double-sized anniversary issue with gorgeous Anime-style art by the same team who worked on the AoA Astonishing Xmen, where Scott, Jean, Henry, Lucas, and Ororo all have a baseball game with M and Skin and you’ll see that as far back as 1995, M was distinctly Middle-Eastern Brown with Wavy Blue-Black Hair (her dad’s dad is Native French, her dad’s mom is Native Algerian, and her mom’s side is presumably Native Algerian as well) as opposed to African Black with Straight White Hair, as represented by Storm . They clearly look different from each other, ethnically-speaking, in that issue.

And Movieverse Blink is an Alternate Reality so being of a different ethnicity is just to be expected as being par for the course, but Exiles Blink is supposed to be the exact same character as AoA Blink, so the change in her appearance is really defying reason at first glance.
    When Monet's father first appeared, he was black. And Monet appeared before 1995, and was clearly black. The pic I posted above is how she looked when she first came on the scene. And that was a black girl. Just because artists and colorists did like Blink and changed her features doesn't erase what she started off as, and was intended to be. Just like you insisting there's white people in the Bahamas, there's back people in Algeria & France.

You can't say Blink a minority white in a mostly black region. Then turn around and try to use Monet's family region for why she can't be black, 'cus there's not many blacks there. Added to the possible ignorance most have with Africa. It's a place most associate with "black people." So when she had roots in Africa, she was probably intended to be a black African.

So again, people's true colors (no pun intended) seem to come out here. Monet can't be black because her family is from a region that isn't known for a lot of black African people. And people use her race-changed designs as proof of her non-blackness.

BUT Blink can't be black if she's from a region that is known for mostly black people because white people live there too, and she wasn't drawn with full features before..

So again, just comes off like many fans don't care to see a lot of black women in their stories. Stick to white, and Asian (at best) women, and everything is good. And if black women have to be around, they need to look white as possible so you can imagine that they're anything else but black & it's not distracting. lol
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 06-15-2018 at 07:11 AM.

Astonishing Member

On the subject of Monet, the top gen x look and the bottom x-factor are very close. Same skin tone, same general nose, only the hair is different (and the hair on female comic book characters varies wildly very artist to artist.) Is the highlight/reflection on the top of her face throwing you off?

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    On the subject of Monet, the top gen x look and the bottom x-factor are very close. Same skin tone, same general nose, only the hair is different (and the hair on female comic book characters varies wildly very artist to artist.) Is the highlight/reflection on the top of her face throwing you off?
    No. But she never looked the same to me. She looks white or tan European & white in that pic. I am not seeing her as light brown like the GenX pic.

Here, she looks a bit better
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 06-15-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Spectacular Member

When Monet's father first appeared, he was black. And Monet appeared before 1995, and was clearly black. The pic I posted above is how she looked when she first came on the scene. And that was a black girl. Just because artists and colorists did like Blink and changed her features doesn't erase what she started off as, and was intended to be. Just like you insisting there's white people in the Bahamas, there's back people in Algeria & France.

You can't say Blink a minority white in a mostly black region. Then turn around and try to use Monet's family region for why she can't be black, 'cus there's not many blacks there. Added to the possible ignorance most have with Africa. It's a place most associate with "black people." So when she had roots in Africa, she was probably intended to be a black African.

So again, people's true colors (no pun intended) seem to come out here. Monet can't be black because her family is from a region that isn't known for a lot of black African people. And people use her race-changed designs as proof of her non-blackness.

BUT Blink can't be black if she's from a region that is known for mostly black people because white people live there too, and she wasn't drawn with full features before..

So again, just comes off like many fans don't care to see a lot of black women in their stories. Stick to white, and Asian (at best) women, and everything is good. And if black women have to be around, they need to look white as possible so you can imagine that they're anything else but black & it's not distracting. lol
    Ah, you’re too paranoid. Nobody ever complains about having too many Black female Characters, especially if mutants. They complain about having too few Black male characters , especially if mutants — and they’re right about that — but not the opposite. Just look at how many major Black female Characters are regularly/often in the XBooks: Storm, Charlotte Jones, Cecilia Reyes, Shard (Australian Aborigine, but they’re always drawn indistinguishable from Black Africans in Marvel’s comics), Fatale, Angel Salvadore (Black Latina), Tattoo, Venus Dee Milo (ok, she’s non-standard), Bling, Frenzy, Knockout, Cipher, Oya, arguably Monet and her twin sisters (she is most likely Tuareg, who are a mix of both Brown Arabs and Black Africans), and now Blink.

Ah, you’re too paranoid. Nobody ever complains about having too many Black female Characters, especially if mutants. They complain about having too few Black male characters , especially if mutants — and they’re right about that — but not the opposite. Just look at how many major Black female Characters are regularly/often in the XBooks: Storm, Charlotte Jones, Cecilia Reyes, Shard (Australian Aborigine, but they’re always drawn indistinguishable from Black Africans in Marvel’s comics), Fatale, Angel Salvadore (Black Latina), Tattoo, Venus Dee Milo (ok, she’s non-standard), Bling, Frenzy, Knockout, Cipher, Oya, arguably Monet and her twin sisters (she is most likely Tuareg, who are a mix of both Brown Arabs and Black Africans), and now Blink.
    Not to say black characters aren't around, but none of them are prominent. Storm is the token black female, and she's either wallpaper or written as incompetent. In addition to the lightening of her skin.

All the others are in limbo and used sporadically. Monet was good. But she's only black depending on the creative team. Lol As we see, there's tons of argument on what she is, because it changes so often.

Blink may be the same. She's depicted & shown as black now. But it's not guaranteed to stick anymore than Monet.