Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think this probably makes the job harder, actually. Superman's own legend is his biggest enemy; people who have never read a comic in their lives have firmly entrenched ideas about what Superman is supposed to be like. Fans who do read the comics have an even firmer opinion. But there's so much material out there, you could pull a Superman together using nothing but established concepts, traits, and facets already seen in print, and people will still say you did it wrong because you didn't use the stuff *they* want to see.

The Man of Steel movie is a great example of that. Everyone lost their minds over Clark killing Zod and said it was wildly out of character. But Clark has killed more people than anyone else in the League outside of Hal and Diana. There was plenty of precedent for Snyder's story, but it went against the preconceived notions people have about the character.
    In my opinion, the only way for people to be more open-minded about adaptations of long-running characters is that they have to challenge their own preconceived notions about those characters. Comic books and their adaptations are not single, cohesive narratives; they are urban folk lore tales, with each tale telling a different perspective for a character. There could be several different comic books featuring the same character running on the shelves at the same time, but none of those comic books would tell that character’s story in the same way. Movies and TV shows just make things even more complicated in the long run. Superman, in my opinion, is a character that is best enjoyed with an open mind and a huge amount of suspension of disbelief.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    In my opinion, the only way for people to be more open-minded about adaptations of long-running characters is that they have to challenge their own preconceived notions about those characters. Comic books and their adaptations are not single, cohesive narratives; they are urban folk lore tales, with each tale telling a different perspective for a character. There could be several different comic books featuring the same character running on the shelves at the same time, but none of those comic books would tell that character’s story in the same way. Movies and TV shows just make things even more complicated in the long run. Superman, in my opinion, is a character that is best enjoyed with an open mind and a huge amount of suspension of disbelief.
    I agree (though I will argue if I think something is truly out of character), but unfortunately the general audience probably doesn't. Superman is very much held to a very particular standard in people's minds, and often it's a standard that he himself has never met, nor even tried to.

'Tis the price to be paid for being Superman, I suppose. But gods don't I find it irritating; Clark's own legend (and the expectations it's put on him) is by far his greatest weakness and enemy.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

His intellectual side. Superman should be shown to be a very intelligent and wise guy. While at the same time very humble and willing to learn and listen. I really loved seeing him in the Fortress in both All Star Superman and Superman: Doomsday movies when he was shown as a scientist and an inventor who can build an advanced robot and try to find a cure for cancer.

His reporter side should also be shown more. So, the family man, husband, father, friend, superhero and as a reporter interested in educating people about what's going on in the world through his work.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 09-03-2018 at 01:11 PM.

Retired

The public doesn't see a lot of the spooky Superman. In the movies and TV shows, the Phantom Zone is mainly just a delivery device for Zod and his gang to get from Krypton to Earth and not a lot of time is spent showing the eerie half-life in the Phantom Zone and what living there must do to the soul. Steve Gerber's PHANTOM ZONE really developed this mysterious in-between place and a lot more could be done with it. Then you have all the other spooky and supernatural characters that go in and out of the Superman stories. Instead of science fiction, there should be more attention paid to the weird--like Mxyzptlk, Bizarro, Spectre, Phantom Stranger and Jimmy Olsen's oddball transformations.