BANNED

Default Adventures Of The Supersons#2

We got at least one Super-title out this week, let's discuss it.

Fun issue, boy is that pint-sized Lex an absolute monster, killing Joker Jr's parents just to upscale himself in badassery. I do wonder just where Clark is if Jon lead the gang into the fortress to take the cube. I know they're "out of town" but surely the battle between the supersons and gang would have been picked up on the news feeds? Just feels like a bit of a stretch.

And Superboy Red/Superboy blue was a most unexpected cliffhanger.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    We got at least one Super-title out this week, let's discuss it.

Fun issue, boy is that pint-sized Lex an absolute monster, killing Joker Jr's parents just to upscale himself in badassery. I do wonder just where Clark is if Jon lead the gang into the fortress to take the cube. I know they're "out of town" but surely the battle between the supersons and gang would have been picked up on the news feeds? Just feels like a bit of a stretch.

And Superboy Red/Superboy blue was a most unexpected cliffhanger.
    A very funny cliffhanger. I loved the comic, as usual. But that's the scene that produced a belly laugh.

I think CBR for once gets this right. This is revisiting the imaginary story from Superman #162, "The Amazing Story of Superman-Red and Superman Blue," from 1963, rather than the split in the "electric" Superman of the 1990s, though I could be wrong.

Another Silver Age imaginary story that might also be relevant (for comparison's sake, anyway) is from just a few months after the story above, in Superman #166, "The Fantastic Story of Superman's Sons." As is too often the case in these stories, Superman's wife is anonymous. But he has twin sons, Jor-El II and Kal-El II. Jor has his father's super-powers, and Kal has no powers. Perhaps my favorite imaginary story from that era, the story focuses on Kal II rather than Jor II, and how he struggles to overcome his disadvantage power-wise.

The parallel here is that Superman temporarily has "twin sons" (even if he doesn't know it!), and their powers—and personalities—may not be identical either. It'll be fun to see how the "Amazing Story of Superboy Red and Superboy Blue!" turns out. Looking forward to it!
    Last edited by Spiderboy12; 09-07-2018 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Typo
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Doomsday Clock, Young Justice, Books of Magic, Batman: Creature of the Night, Ascender, Birthright, Black Hammer, . Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman Beyond, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Wild Storm, Terrifics, Naomi, The Dreaming, Star Wars, Black Science, The Magic Order, Gideon Falls, Giants, Archie, Riverdale, Maxwell's Demons.

Such a fun read! With Jon now having a twin at the end, and Damian being completely oblivious made it all the better. And getting unexpected help from Joker Junior, of all people.

Kind of feel bad for The Puppeteer though. To be offed by a Mini-Me rip-off from space.

Superman RED and Superman Blue

This title never disappoints.

The last page was hilarious. I'm loving this series.

Good issue. Tomasi maintains the charm from the original series here as well.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Loved the issue especially for its call backs to the earlier Superman stories Spiderboy mentioned. All in all this was great fun.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Astonishing Member

I was going to ask about the Superboy split as I'm not familiar with Superman mythos like I am Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I was going to ask about the Superboy split as I'm not familiar with Superman mythos like I am Batman.
    In the original Silver Age "imaginary story" of Superman Red and Superman Blue, the split is due to Red Kryptonite (in part). Red K always has had unpredictable effects on Kryptonians from the Silver Age onward. It's usually temporary, but for reasons I forgot, in that imaginary story the effects were permanent.

This issue of Super Sons, it is definitely a Red K effect. Read Damian's caption again.
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Doomsday Clock, Young Justice, Books of Magic, Batman: Creature of the Night, Ascender, Birthright, Black Hammer, . Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman Beyond, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Wild Storm, Terrifics, Naomi, The Dreaming, Star Wars, Black Science, The Magic Order, Gideon Falls, Giants, Archie, Riverdale, Maxwell's Demons.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderboy12 View Post
    In the original Silver Age "imaginary story" of Superman Red and Superman Blue, the split is due to Red Kryptonite (in part). Red K always has had unpredictable effects on Kryptonians from the Silver Age onward. It's usually temporary, but for reasons I forgot, in that imaginary story the effects were permanent.
    In the story the Red K was part of a device Superman had created to increase his intellect. I think that part was intended to be permanent (the increased intellect) so when it had the unintended side effect of creating two Supermen that was permanent as well. I'm pretty sure that it involved multiple types of kryptonite which seemed in imaginary stories to have the effect of making Red K effects permanent.