View Poll Results: Which Super physique do you prefer?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • BULKY: Old School Circus Strongman

10 15.15%
  • DAD-BOD: 40 year old man with six pack drawn on his stomach

8 12.12%
  • LEAN & TONED: Men’s Fitness Cover Model with a cape

41 62.12%
  • As long as his underwear is outside his tights, I don’t care!

7 10.61%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Rocafort will always have been the ideal New 52 Superman artist, imo. I actually feel like he's at a disadvantage when he draws Superman older than 30. Which I like because if you draw everything the same, then your good stuff isn't as good because it doesn't stand out.

I think Quitely, Frank, Villalobos, and Lee have done the best jobs of making his costume look good on him, but since it came up I have to say that I care more about the small logo than the amount of muscle with which he's drawn. I've never really liked it to be bigger than the dceu version and that informs how I see his figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Rocafort will always have been the ideal New 52 Superman artist, imo. I actually feel like he's at a disadvantage when he draws Superman older than 30. Which I like because if you draw everything the same, then your good stuff isn't as good because it doesn't stand out.

I think Quitely, Frank, Villalobos, and Lee have done the best jobs of making his costume look good on him, but since it came up I have to say that I care more about the small logo than the amount of muscle with which he's drawn. I've never really liked it to be bigger than the dceu version and that informs how I see his figure.
    I think Man of Steel '12 has a pretty big "S" and I like it, but it's also about as big as I think the "S" should get. I do prefer the BvS/JL shield with the Joseph Campbell quote written on it in Kryptonese though.

I wish that artists were given more leeway in how to draw Superman. For example, I think Lee makes the "classic" costume with the trunks look stupid, almost every single time, in my personal opinion. At the same time though, nobody made the post-Flashpoint armor look better than he did - almost like it was designed to be drawn by Jim Lee. :P Rocafort drew the Rebirth costume pretty well, but I agree that when his Superman looks younger, it's better. I wish that editorial constraints didn't require artists to draw Superman old, or young, or with the trunks, or without them, or really buff, or thinner, but just let the writer and artists have it out themselves a little bit.

And sure I've got preferences on the young/thin/trunksless sides of those particular issues and I'm saying this at a time when the "standard" happens to fall on the side of older/bulkier/trunks, but I legitimately mean that artists should do it case by case. There were certainly New 52 artists who I just looked at their work and thought "Gee, I sure wish they could get away with the trunks that they'd clearly draw better."
    Last edited by Adekis; 06-15-2018 at 11:51 AM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Rocafort will always have been the ideal New 52 Superman artist, imo.
    Yes, I can only hope he can draw Superman in one of the main books again. By the way, how do you think Superman looks when drawn by Ivan Reis? Personally, I think he looks glorious.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Reis is probably the most difficult artist to argue against since the Swan period where JLGL and Adams were doing the covers. Maybe I'd like to see him make different tweaks to the costume like with the S but the forms and poses are what I consider perfect.

Retired

It's a mystery how the Mike Sekowsky who drew Superman like this

could've drawn the Superman on JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 63 like this

Fan theory was that the Superman on the cover had been redrawn by Neal Adams. But Adams has always stated with absolute certainty that he didn't do it. Nor does it seem George Roussos (the inker) did it, because you can see his work on Sekowsky's Superman inside the comic and it doesn't look anything like the Superman on the cover.

I think Reis is going to go down in history as one of the greatest Superman artists ever. And if he doesnt, he should.

Post-Crisis, New52, Rebirth, there isn't an era he's worked in where I thought his Superman wasn't just about spot-on perfect.

Then again, I could say that of almost everyone Reis has drawn. I'm not sure if I've disliked any character I've seen him pencil.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think Reis is going to go down in history as one of the greatest Superman artists ever. And if he doesnt, he should.

Post-Crisis, New52, Rebirth, there isn't an era he's worked in where I thought his Superman wasn't just about spot-on perfect.

Then again, I could say that of almost everyone Reis has drawn. I'm not sure if I've disliked any character I've seen him pencil.
    I'll admit I ususally think of him on Green Lantern, but yeah... I think he's probably my favorite artist at DC. Right up there with Garcia-lopez as drawing Everyone, everywhere. perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I'd say John Byrne's is pretty perfect. I guess that's lean but maybe it's somewhere in the middle.
    I ditto this. Byrne's rendition exudes confidence and capability and subsequently is always sexy. I also like Kerry Gammill, Ordway with a great inker, Perez, and Reis. Renato Guedes loses points for composition and anatomy.

Live action I have to hand it to Suberboy thesps Haymes Newton and Gerard Christopher (who should have been cast instead of Routh). Dean Cain is my next fave. If looks only then Cavill would be next but right now I sm still waiting for Superman to appear in the DCEU

I like the classic George Reeves Superman physique. Barrel chested look like the early Joe Shuster Superman comics, before his muscles were drawn more exaggerated into exhibitionist bodybuilder hulk like the more modern comics versions. If Supeman's built like '80s Hulk Lou Ferrigno or Conan Arnold Schwarzenegger it makes the Clark secret identity become harder to believe and take seriously at all.
    supermuscles_by_stevenely-dbvgclf.jpg
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Whatever you consider this to be... I'd call it 'lean'.

My preference is a Superman who is physically... perfect. Not too large and bulky like the Hulk, not too skinny... but an ideal body that could actually put on a suit and hide his physique as Clark Kent.

So Ed Mcguiness' version is RIGHT out... as is Tim Sales'...
    Great version of the character here... solid all around!!

George Reeves will always be the face of Superman for me - No matter what!

John Byrne - The S was a little too big but other than that Byrne could draw Masterfully!

Curt Swan - the Man who re-established the -Text book reference point- for the Superman look!

Ivan Reis is simply a work of High ART!

I like this build. Superman should look very strong and athletic. Like someone super fit.

I really dislike the McGuinness look for Supes. It's too cartoony. I also don't like Superman looking too old like Alex Ross draws him.

this build looks really nice too. By Manapul.

https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/stat...80467995529216

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    this build looks really nice too. By Manapul.

https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/stat...80467995529216
    Maybe Manapul could work on the Superman books for a while. Don't get me wrong; Reis, Paquette, Gleason and Sook are good but I'd like to see Manapul try his pencils on Superman beyond variant covers.

Retired

One Canadian paying tribute to another.