View Poll Results: Which Super physique do you prefer?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • BULKY: Old School Circus Strongman

10 15.15%
  • DAD-BOD: 40 year old man with six pack drawn on his stomach

8 12.12%
  • LEAN & TONED: Men’s Fitness Cover Model with a cape

41 62.12%
  • As long as his underwear is outside his tights, I don’t care!

7 10.61%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    One Canadian paying tribute to another.

One of my all time favorite images of Superman, ever (hell, I've used it for my avatar image for years!).

I'd love to see a HBO series that uses this image (and its Golden Age inspirations) as the basis for the show. A little of this, Morrison's t-shirt Action Superman, Tom DeHaven's Its Superman! novel, and the OG Golden Age material would provide more than enough stuff to work with.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Boisterously Confused

I can't make a super-cut Superman work in my head. There's almost nothing on this planet he could safely lift on the regular basis it would require to get that look.

Big? Strong? Fit? Absolutely.

Mr. Universe look? Nah.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

But at the same time, even if his metabolism wasn't super I don't think he really eats outside of custom. There goes his fat, pretty much.

Kryptonians genetic engeering themselves for generations to have perfect bodies. That's all the explanation we need as to why Superman looks like a greek god come to life.
    As Clark he slouches and distends his muscles to make it seem like he is overweight.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Retired

Weight training and athletics is the middle man to developing a muscular build. But we get muscles because that activity triggers processes in the body that cause those muscles to develop in that way. So what if you knew how to trigger that process without the middle man? You could trick the body into producing that structure without the work.

I suppose all Kryptonians should look like Greek gods, given science. But in the past--when comic artists used to draw imperfect looking people--we had supporting characters on Krypton and in Kandor that didn't look like they had strong genes protecting them from hair loss, weight gain or ageing. Also, you wouldn't want that for the movies and TV shows, because it would exclude a lot of great actors from parts.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    But at the same time, even if his metabolism wasn't super I don't think he really eats outside of custom. There goes his fat, pretty much.
    That would be my theory as well.

Lean but muscular. I don't like the McGuinness or Sale versions of him. He's Superman. He doesn't need the Hulk-like excess muscle mass to lift the heavy thing. Plus, the McGuinnes style looks waaay too much like something out of a cartoon. If he's too big it's hard to imagine him fitting in with the rest of society. He needs to be able to blend in as Clark.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Action_977_Kubert_large.jpg
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-19-2021 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Bye, bye blue!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Realistically he shouldn't be buff however it looks better if he is toned and somewhat in shape. I don't think he should be overly muscled and ripped like in the current movies or like some roid head with a thick neck. Human heroes like Batman or Green Arrow can be bulky or sculpted. Supes should just be a regular healthy looking middle aged man.
    Last edited by Fergus; 09-29-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

I like my Superman depicted in the range of Alex Ross, Frank Quitely, and Darwyn Cooke styles.

superman-alex ross.jpgs-l400.jpgalexross1.jpg

Personally I’m of the Belief that the DCAU design nailed the character to a tee and would like to see him have similar physiques in the comics where he was bulky but not Strongman Bulky and had a similar physique to Bruce :
    C7881C92-CBBE-4D83-A296-46E20BB0298E.jpg
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    One of my all time favorite images of Superman, ever (hell, I've used it for my avatar image for years!).

I'd love to see a HBO series that uses this image (and its Golden Age inspirations) as the basis for the show. A little of this, Morrison's t-shirt Action Superman, Tom DeHaven's Its Superman! novel, and the OG Golden Age material would provide more than enough stuff to work with.
    I love that, too. I think I got a poster of it, somewhere (my wife and I went to the fan expo in Canada one year).

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    Lean but muscular. I don't like the McGuinness or Sale versions of him. He's Superman. He doesn't need the Hulk-like excess muscle mass to lift the heavy thing. Plus, the McGuinness style looks waaay too much like something out of a cartoon. If he's too big it's hard to imagine him fitting in with the rest of society. He needs to be able to blend in as Clark.
    It's funny, McGuinness always reminded me of a Capcom-styled Superman, and with me hoping they'd do a "DC vs Marvel" game, I loved it. But in general, I agree - I prefer a lean but muscular Superman.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Incredible Member

As long as he got bigger muscles than Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Kryptonians genetic engeering themselves for generations to have perfect bodies. That's all the explanation we need as to why Superman looks like a greek god come to life.
    As Clark he slouches and distends his muscles to make it seem like he is overweight.

Retired

In John Byrne's MAN OF STEEL mini, I got the sense that Kryptonians were spindly critters that would break if they had to do hard labour. And by sending the fetus named Kal-El to the Earth, it was the benefit of good clean living on the farm that made Clark bulk up. But arguing against that were Byrne's version of Ma and Pa Kent who didn't look like they gained any benefit from the agrarian lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In John Byrne's MAN OF STEEL mini, I got the sense that Kryptonians were spindly critters that would break if they had to do hard labour. And by sending the fetus named Kal-El to the Earth, it was the benefit of good clean living on the farm that made Clark bulk up. But arguing against that were Byrne's version of Ma and Pa Kent who didn't look like they gained any benefit from the agrarian lifestyle.
    Ahaha, true, true!

I know people who are always working outside gardening, trimming trees, and they are so out of shape!

I also thought the same thing about the Kryptonians. They were Brainacs, er, pardone the pun, not athletes. For Clark, the farm experience, his genes and the solar sustenance experience, plus all the battles he has been in, makes him what he is...a Superman.