Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    That's why I said him and Crisis in general. He wanted to set it in the past so stuff like her losing her founding JL status and Donna getting screwed up are not his fault, but what about ditching the Amazonian technology, changing Steve and Etta to be unrecognizable, moving her from D.C to Boston, changing the identities and origins of the Cheetah and Silver Swan, etc? All of which contributed to her mythos being inconsistent. He could have kept Priscilla Rich and Helen Alexandros in the history and just upgraded them.
    If people complained about Steve and Etta being unrecognisable, I’d imagine they’d have made the same complaints about Priscilla and Helen being upgraded (don’t even get me started on how offensive those characters are from a modern lense). I can take or leave the Amazon tech and was there any particular reason for her to be in D.C over Boston?
    Her mythos (and the wider DC mythos) didn’t become inconsistent until writers who were fans of the old continuity started retconning in the old stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The mythos can move forward without erasing or altering the past, because that just makes a mess. Maybe the future writers shouldn't have referenced or used older continuity that contradicted Perez's foundation, but honestly DC shouldn't have created a mess that made it impossible to do to begin with. If a common criticism of the New 52 is that reboots don't solve anything, we need to apply it even earlier on as well.
    Again, why not put the blame on writers who don’t want to stick with what they’re given? The post crisis status quo at least wasn't as toxic as the post flashpoint status quo so the walk backs just felt more like certain writers wanting to bring back stuff they liked.
    I’d say the New 52’s problem was doing a reboot without planning and claiming it wasn’t a reboot. At least the post crisis continuity was stable early on. The New 52 tried to walk back almost immediately. Post crisis, at least early on, is an idea of how to do a reboot right for the most part.

EDIT: basically what kjn said.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-09-2018 at 12:13 PM.