Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    To confess. I actually ended up in this discussion because my thumb hit the wrong thing on my phone. I feel like I am walking on egg-shells having only read Golden Age WW, the afore mentioned history book and Morrison’s book, and flicking through a few recent books with mild interest (including being totally baffled by the Rebirth issue). I watched the TV show when I was a kid, but at the time I tried to pretend I wasn’t watching because it was a girls TV show. I watched the movie and was mildly offended by the treatment of the Great War which was certainly not a good v evil fight.
    I don't really get this narrative that the Wonder Woman film somehow demeans history. Its pretty clear that the bad guys are a rogue element within the German army and are not representative of Germany as a whole. Not to mention the real bad guy is disguised as an Anglo. Even then, this idea that WWI was somehow a screw up that the European powers bumbled into is false. Germany invaded and occupied Belgium, a nation Germany had signed a neutrality treaty, along with an assault against France. They were clearly the aggressors. This idea that Germany was somehow an innocent actor in the war is just crazy and, let's be honest, was used to justify renewed aggression against France. The Treaty of Versailles is often seen as punitive, but, it was a logical demand on the account of France whose infrastructure was decimated.

Also, as for this good v evil fight narrative for WW2, its a comforting thought, but the 'good' guys in this fight were imperialist, apartheid empires that had committed acts of genocide in their living memory. This is a fact brought up in the Wonder Woman film too.

So I really don’t want to offend anyone and yet I really want to know why anyone would read Wonder Woman today? What does the book bring to the table? As a Thor fan everyone always tells me I should read WW but nothing has inspired me to do so because everything I look at seems like it’s pulling its punches compared to those radical early years. What am I missing? Is it the writing or is it just the zeitgeist?
    If you've read Jason Aaron's Thor work, then you would probably like Brian Azzarello's New 52 run. Obviously Marston's original work is still the best, but its also the greatest comic in human history, so, yeah, most of the runs that follow it aren't going to reach the same lofty height.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 06-08-2018 at 12:51 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut