Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default X-Box One vs PS4 : 5 Years Later.

Its hard to believe that 5 years ago on this very board we all sit around (ok I'm sure not all of us) and we voted on what gaming console we were gonna buy. I had always been a Sony guy since getting my 1st Playstation. And brand loyalty is something I stick by ya know. If the games are good , I'll continue with the brand. So by a big vote (2 to 1 mostly) a lot of us voted to get Playstation 4. Microsoft itself pretty much screwed up at E3 that year in a bad presentation and never seemed to recover from it at launch....and problems continued it seems.

Lets go through the issues...

- As Sony jumped out to a huge lead in 2013 , by 2014 Microsoft decided to drop the price of X-Box One to $350 to try and help spur sales during that holiday season. It did little to help.

- As more time passed Sony would develop more exclusives and let studios get time for them. There was bumps for sure as PS Vita showed us but the main console seemed to be rolling along. In fact here is the list of Playstation Exclusives from 2014 to current folks compared to X-Box.

Sony Playstation

The Order 1886
    Uncharted 4 : Thiefs End
    Uncharted : Lost Legacy
    Bloodborne
    Last of Us : Remastered
    No Man's Sky
    Little Big Planet 3
    Abzu
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Hellblade
    Nier Automata
    The Last Guardian
    Until Dawn
    Ni No Kuni 2 : Revenant Kingdom
    Yakuza 6 : Song of Life
    Persona 5
    Shadow of Colossus
    God of War
    Detroit Become Human
    Spider-Man
    Days Gone *
    Kingdom Hearts III *

And I'm sure I'm missing some here. But this is the list with Days Gone and Kingdom Hearts III likely hitting in 2019.

Now what about X-Box ?

X-Box

Halo 5
    Forza Horizon 2
    Quantum Break
    Sunset Overdrive
    X-Box One : The Masterchief collection
    Gears of War 4
    Halo Wars 2
    Cuphead
    Recore
    Sea of Thieves
    State of Decay 2

I'm sure I'm missing a couple here as well. But get the idea how bad its became for the console.

Anyhow as time passed a number of games that Microsoft announced as big time exclusives were Scalebound , Phantom Dust 2 and Fable Legends were slowly either cancelled or the company closed the studios making the games. In the case of Scalebound it was said Microsoft made a demand of the studio for a certain thing in the game and the developers tried to explain it couldn't happen and they just cancelled the game.

Fable : Legends had the studio suddenly closed outta the blue because Microsoft didn't like how the game was going. It was like the company literally didn't seem to care about these studios or games. Believing they had more coming and why bother. Instead as time passed the exclusives became a trickle.

A fact in a Game Informer last year they brought up how the company had few studios left to create exclusive games while over at Sony there was 20+ studios doing some kind of game in development for them as an exclusive. Also Microsoft's history of heavy handed approach had pushed many to run to Sony to have freedom to create and do games they wanted.

Now finally its been reported that Crackdown 3 will either come out next year (another delay) for Microsoft or they will slowly cancel the game. One rumor was it was gonna be cancelled. This makes Crackdown's 3rd delay now. It also has Microsoft in a position where they have no real exclusives left in 2018 to sell to the buyers.

If lack of exclusives was a problem well 2018 would also show a huge problem in actual quality. Nothing seemed to show this more than watching Microsoft's 2 biggest promoted exclusive games crash and burn critically within weeks of each other. Sony had released God of War to a massive critical and fan reaction. The game has became one of Sony's highest rated games this generation.

Meanwhile X-Box a couple weeks earlier had released Sea of Thieves after promoting it as the big online multiplayer for pirates. The game never did good and fans were bored with it as some complained missions were repetitive. After this a month or two later Microsoft released their next big exclusive that they had spent years promoting "State of Decay 2". This one too had numerous game bugs and had players not happy. It received a 20 gig update patch comically weeks later to fix the bugs in it.

PS4 PRo vs X-Box One X

In 2016 as Microsoft still had very bad sales they made an announcement that they heard Playstation was gonna do a mid-console upgrade to their PS4. Already scared that the Pro could outsell the X-Box One , they decided to do a console upgrade themselves. This time they would up the power of the console and decided to price this update , bigger X-Box system at $499.99 . Sony had marketed their mid-console upgrade at $399.99.

To make it worse , Microsoft debuted this X-Box One X announcement with showing the power of it...with a driving game. Claiming it was a more powerful system than Sony's.

But right now it seems like this war is over. Sony has clearly won and its calculated the console has sold near 80 million units. Meanwhile , X-Box One has done 37 million worldwide. And this is after the big hyped mid-console upgrades. In fact what is scary is Nintendo is expected to sell 20+ million Nintendo Switch consoles by the end of the year and will likely pass X-Box One sales within another year or two.

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

This entire gen has basically been Microsoft doesn't realize that games sell consoles, not hardware

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The Xbone X has been selling well according to Microsoft but they haven't given out sales numbers for the Xbone for a while. They stopped giving numbers when it was at $35 million and PS4 sold double that at the time I think.

Never cared much about this little game between Sony and Micro$oft but PS4 truly is where the players are if you're looking for some online gaming.

Skyrim mods on XboxOne are far better than PS4 due to coding differences. Xbox version has access to a lot of the same mods the PC has, while the PS4 is far more limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Xbox version has access to a lot of the same mods the PC has.
    And therein lies another problem with Xbox's appeal, that particular audience who cares about playing modded games? They already have a platform and have had it for as long as gaming has existed, namely the PC. And the crowd that especially cares about hardware and has the income to afford, also the PC audience, so the Xbox occupies the worst middle ground I can think of, not have the exclusive game appeal of Sony or Nintendo, while not having the hardware power and modding ability of a PC, and having a price tag somewhere in the middle

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Skyrim mods on XboxOne are far better than PS4 due to coding differences. Xbox version has access to a lot of the same mods the PC has, while the PS4 is far more limited.
    It's not coding differences. It's an arbitrary rule of not allowing scripts that Microsoft has put their foot down on.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Never cared much about this little game between Sony and Micro$oft but PS4 truly is where the players are if you're looking for some online gaming.
    Well as Hiromi pointed out earlier , Sony made a huge effort to concentrate on games. They didn't want a repeat of the PS3 which took em a couple years to recover. Microsoft decided to flaunt hardware in 2013....and then in 2017 flaunted it some more. With no real games made. Closing studios and cancelling games killed them. Its why 2018 as some have said is a barren landscape of no Microsoft exclusives since Crackdown 3 was delayed.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

It really was just a big flip where the neither company learned form the previous gens mistakes. I was a die hard PS guy and had I and II. Then the PS3 came along and between the stupid price point and everything else I just said nope and switched over the Xbox360. I was more than happy with the Xbox for a long time, and then the new gens came out. Microsoft seemed to ignore everything Sony did wrong at the start of the last gen and repeated some of the same mistakes which cause me to switch back to Sony with the PS4. Microsoft shot themselves in both feet because they lost sight of what they were making which was a game console, and not a total home entertainment system.

Ended up trading in my X1 and upgrading my PS4 to a PS4 Pro. Having a gaming PC made the Xbox irrelevant unless you really, really, really, really like Halo.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    It really was just a big flip where the neither company learned form the previous gens mistakes. I was a die hard PS guy and had I and II. Then the PS3 came along and between the stupid price point and everything else I just said nope and switched over the Xbox360. I was more than happy with the Xbox for a long time, and then the new gens came out. Microsoft seemed to ignore everything Sony did wrong at the start of the last gen and repeated some of the same mistakes which cause me to switch back to Sony with the PS4. Microsoft shot themselves in both feet because they lost sight of what they were making which was a game console, and not a total home entertainment system.
    Of course Sony seemed to learn like 2-3 years into PS3 why the system was slow to sell. They quickly reversed track and started pushing the games and more. It helped the system rebound before the PS4. Sony seemed to realize there , ok we gotta push the games.

dsoliver18

I think, the PS4 better. It has a lot of exclusive games and a lot of game developers want to do it for PS4. For example, a list of exclusive games for PS4 in 2018: https://dmarket.com/blog/top-games-ps4/

In recent figures released , Sony has said that the PS4 lifetime sales has sold 82.8 million units as of halfway through 2018. Its expected to pass the lifetime sales of 83+ million for the PS3 . As this points out that it took Sony 11 years to get the PS3 to that number . Where as right now PS4 has cracked it within 5 years.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/2...-million-units

What makes it silly for Microsoft is they won't release numbers of the X-Box One right now and haven't for a couple years.

I'd buy a PlayStation again if it's fan weren't so douchey.

PC, Nintendo, XBone ... I'm fine without a PS4 right now.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

Sony Playstation

The Order 1886
    Uncharted 4 : Thiefs End
    Uncharted : Lost Legacy
    Bloodborne
    Last of Us : Remastered
    No Man's Sky
    Little Big Planet 3
    Abzu
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Hellblade
    Nier Automata
    The Last Guardian
    Until Dawn
    Ni No Kuni 2 : Revenant Kingdom
    Yakuza 6 : Song of Life
    Persona 5
    Shadow of Colossus
    God of War
    Detroit Become Human
    Spider-Man
    Days Gone *
    Kingdom Hearts III *

And I'm sure I'm missing some here. But this is the list with Days Gone and Kingdom Hearts III likely hitting in 2019.
    Well, Nier Automata is on XBox now.

I think an important one you missed is MLB The Show. It's the reason I bought Playstation in the first place.