Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Action Comics issue #1001 Preview

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Gleason really stepped up his game with his art. Ever since the boyzarro arc, I feel like he's been trying different techniques with his art and it's really working for the better.

Gleason's Superman is nice to look at especially in The Suit.

Though, I'm noticing that his proportions are more subdued than they were on the Superman book. I'm guessing it's because he's setting the visual stage Yanick Paquette and Ryan Sook to take over (can't believe I just typed that out in regards to a Superman book). The style suits him well.

Side note: I love the amount of background detail in here. Again, it's unlike his work on Superman where it was all about big open space and solid primary colors in the back. I'm into the change. Really make's Superman pop against it.

I like the dialog lol The cosines are funny, and Superman's really fun here. "Your friend's going to throw his gun at me now." Also loved how Superman damn near had precognition with his super senses. Telling the guy to hand him the hunting knife so he's not tempted to attack the officers bursting threw the door in a moment. Nice.

I was wondering why open a book about Clark with Superman, but then that final panel made it clear that it's a person telling a story. Might actually be someone telling Jimmy a story given that's his desk in the first shot. And I'm really enjoying the amount of dialog, and I imagine it'll only go up as the issue moves along.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-23-2018 at 06:47 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Also, "Invisible Mafia" is a FANTASTIC name. I'm super down for Clark to get back to his mobster punching but with an added twist.

BANNED

It occurs to me that with the recap page recounting the Man of Steel events, it's entirely possible that Clark isn't actually aware Lois is back on Earth yet

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Well if this was social media I would just leave fuego and 100 emoticons.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Gleason really stepped up his game with his art. Ever since the boyzarro arc, I feel like he's been trying different techniques with his art and it's really working for the better.
    He's had different inkers almost every turn and now looks like he's doing it himself.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I'm loving this style for Gleeson.

I'm also loving how Superman is basically protecting the thugs (and policemen) from having a shootout with the cops.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

God I love everything about this preview.

Now THIS is Superman, kids.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm not big on Gleason as an artist, but I plan on checking this issue out.

I think Ivan Reis' SUPERMAN, bold font and wide screen, is where it is at for me. Reis is doing really exciting and interesting things with that book.

Bendis' Superman is on point.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-23-2018 at 09:49 AM.

I still need to get used to see Bendis name on a Superman book.

Buuuuuuuut, i'm all about fair chance and shit so i'm gonna try it.

I love the humor in this. It makes Clark more relatable and I’m hoping these two criminals become a recurring gag like the police department stuff at Marvel. Not a whole lot else to be gleaned about the story though.

The art is beautiful though. Gleason really outdid himself here.

Extraordinary Member

For those who were wondering what 'Bendis speak' is, this is pretty much it. I gotta say, it seems to work for Superman a lot better than I thought it would.

Astonishing Member

I'll be honest, I don't know what "Bendis speak" is and I read his invincible Iron Man with Riri.

I love this preview, Supes' hilarious interaction with the criminals, everything. I love how he's not agro/condescending or whatever in dealing with them, as someone else said, he's looking to keep everybody safe, including the criminals. I really love this. It had me grinning and laughing pretty much throughout.

Loving the writing, but damn that Gleason art. Dude is something else. I have a really good feeling about Action Comics, I think this is going to be standout of the two Bendis books.

Thanks for the preview.