Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Vertigo relaunch

Hoped for new Hellblazer and Animal Man...so unsure about below.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/0...s-to-its-Roots

I thought they were cool series so I booked the newsarama article.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Eh, who knows? These might be great, might suck but I was hoping they would go back to their roots with stuff like Shade the Changing Man, Doom Patrol, Animal Man and Hellblazer. Like I say, these may be great but there's nothing about them that they couldn't be published by any one of the many non-Big 2 publishers out there right now. Vertigo was a gamechanger back in the day, now it's just kind of a hanger on.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Mighty Member

Hex Wives sounds very cringy. I would read the others though.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Yeah, while those books sound interesting, they sound more like the stuff Vertigo would put out, one or two at a time, to supplement the main titles.
    "Going back to the roots" would mean reinterpretations of obscure DC characters with a horror/supernatural slant.
    Like a new Ragman, Rose & Thorn, Nemesis, Inferior Five, Nightmaster, Amethyst, Arion...

These really have even less of a draw then the Young Animal line. What will make readers and retailers pick them over Walking Dead, Saga or Hellboy?
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

There are a couple series I might pick up: Border Town, Second Coming (though I really hate "TBD" dates).

But still, no American Vampire.

And no word yet on the actual debut dates of the Sandman Universe titles.
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Doomsday Clock, Young Justice, Books of Magic, Batman: Creature of the Night, Ascender, Birthright, Black Hammer, . Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman Beyond, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Wild Storm, Terrifics, Naomi, The Dreaming, Star Wars, Black Science, The Magic Order, Gideon Falls, Giants, Archie, Riverdale, Maxwell's Demons.

Spectacular Member

As a reader who mainly got into comics through Image series like Saga and East of West, I'm down for this.

I’m mainly interested in:

American Carnage: Bryan Hill seems like the nicest guy and I wanna support his work, but his upcoming Detective Comics run and Miles Morales annual don’t interest me. So I’m happy to jump on something he’s doing. Also gotta get the Michael Cray trade.

High Level: Same artist as Omega Men. Really dig the cover. Probably gonna feel exactly like an Image title.

Second Coming: I liked Prez and Flintstones and looking forward to the Snagglepuss trade. Mark Russell's hilarious and I like the premise.
    Last edited by nickytesla96; 06-07-2018 at 06:03 PM.
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

I have to agree this is not terribly exciting. I'm sure a lot of these books will be great, but I don't think they'll help bring Vertigo back on the map.

BANNED

All of these look at least somewhat interesting and I'm probably gonna read all of them eventually, but the ones I'm definitely gonna be reading from the start are Second Coming (Because Russell is a genius who everyone should read the work of) and American Carnage (For those that don't know, Hill spent years interviewing KKK members, members of other white supremacist groups and FBI agents for this book)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    American Carnage (For those that don't know, Hill spent years interviewing KKK members, members of other white supremacist groups and FBI agents for this book)
    Dang now I'm really hyped
    Last edited by nickytesla96; 06-07-2018 at 06:20 PM.
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

Incredible Member

is American Carnage based on a real life journalist? Im sure i read this just two days ago in relation to something else but I cant find out how or why now

Seems to have the potential of any set of "Vertigo" titles at any point in the imprint's history.

Feels promising but a bit of a letdown as an anniversary relaunch.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

The comments on that article are hilarious. Wonder how they would've felt about Scalped. Or that one Hellblazer story where Margaret Thatcher and the Tories are soulsucking demons trading human souls for profit. If anything these books sound tame compared to stuff like that.

I'm not sure how I feel about Vertigo coming back because it's been neglected at DC for so long but the upcoming titles sound alright. I'm especially interested in Border Town, American Carnage, Safe Sex (concept reminds me of Sex Warrior by Pat Mills), and Second Coming.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    The comments on that article are hilarious. Wonder how they would've felt about Scalped. Or that one Hellblazer story where Margaret Thatcher and the Tories are soulsucking demons trading human souls for profit. If anything these books sound tame compared to stuff like that.
    Haha, yeah. Vertigo was always incredibly progressive.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Zoë Quinn? As in Zoë Quinn Zoë Quinn?

Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!