Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member The Mary Janes's Avatar

Default Halloween (2018)

The new trailer for Halloween is out! It looks so good!

Patiently waiting for X-Books to be rebooted later this year

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

It was ok.

This movie is being sold as "back to the Carpenter basics" with Halloween and so that's a high bar...to strike up any scariness or atmosphere near the original.

We shall see, I suppose. But the challenge is hard.

It'll be interesting to see if, all in all, this ends up better than the solid Halloween II (1981) since this is competing (in fan opinion land) to be the new Halloween II. Halloween II (1981) is quite beatable, but I'm still not sure this or any future Halloween flick actually will top it.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-08-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Looks awesome!

I think doing away with the sibling relationship doesn't have the effect that the filmmakers think it does.

In the original, Laurie was singled out by Michael because she dropped the keys off at the Myers house and Michael was inside and he saw her walk away with the kid that she was going to babysit. He then started stalking Laurie and her friends once he saw them with her. So, it was basically all random.

OK, I get that the random thing went away once Halloween II said they were siblings and then the "it could be YOU" factor also went away.

However, if in the new film, Michael still wants to kill Laurie, then there is still no "it could be YOU" factor. If Michael is obsessed with Laurie and Laurie is obsessed with Michael, then why not leave them as siblings? There is still no random factor because the movie will deal with their mutual obsession.

If at the end of (or during) the movie, Laurie gets killed by Michael, then this will be just as unpopular as when she was killed in Halloween Resurrection.

If Laurie is then gone from future sequels, then all we'll have is periodic remakes of the original, basically, where Michael is just killing randomly on Halloween night. If Laurie dos NOT die in this film, then she'll either have to appear in the sequels fighting each other (so why not leave them as siblings?) or have some half-assed reason as to why Michael and Laurie no longer care about each other. Maybe some sort of mutual amnesia?

Either way, I can see perhaps this one film might generate some interest, but I don't see how a franchise can be made out of it going forward. Also, this film itself might turn people off as it is yet another reboot/remake/retcon in this series that really only had one great film, a few somewhat-good/average sequels (II, IV, H20), and lots of unnecessary cash-ins (everything else).
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 06-08-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I think doing away with the sibling relationship doesn't have the effect that the filmmakers think it does.

In the original, Laurie was singled out by Michael because she dropped the keys off at the Myers house and Michael was inside and he saw her walk away with the kid that she was going to babysit. He then started stalking Laurie and her friends once he saw them with her. So, it was basically all random.

OK, I get that the random thing went away once Halloween II said they were siblings and then the "it could be YOU" factor also went away.

However, if in the new film, Michael still wants to kill Laurie, then there is still no "it could be YOU" factor. If Michael is obsessed with Laurie and Laurie is obsessed with Michael, then why not leave them as siblings? There is still no random factor because the movie will deal with their mutual obsession.
    A really good point. I've been dancing around the same point in my head as well on it.

For me, the the "it could be YOU" factor was not something I even thought about when I loved watching Halloween for the first time. So I come at it from a different perspective than some perhaps. Also "it could be YOU" kinda works with finding out you have a crazy/evil long lost sibling you never knew about.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-08-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

The reason Michael is obsessed with Laurie is because she's the one that got away. I think that's a hell of a lot scarier than them being siblings.

Is this a first? The original star of the first two movies, and star of the first reboot who cameo-ed in the follow up, comes back to star in the THIRD reboot? I don't mind the reboot- something like this deserves a fresh reboot every few years, because there is only so many places you can go (still waiting for Michael in space...). It looks really good, and looks more of my speed than the Rob Zombie ones.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    The reason Michael is obsessed with Laurie is because she's the one that got away. I think that's a hell of a lot scarier than them being siblings.
    But some might counter wondering if "the sibling one that got away" is that different enough from the "non-sibling one that got away."

Didn't even know they were making, again, a Halloween movie.

Micheal really can't die.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

Is this a first? The original star of the first two movies, and star of the first reboot who cameo-ed in the follow up, comes back to star in the THIRD reboot? I don't mind the reboot- something like this deserves a fresh reboot every few years, because there is only so many places you can go (still waiting for Michael in space...). It looks really good, and looks more of my speed than the Rob Zombie ones.
    I understand why Michael is obsessed with Laurie as the one that got away, but making them siblings doesn't change that. She is the sister that got away. He wants to kill his family, and this is what allowed for Halloween IV to happen without Laurie.

Anyway, it goes back to my original point. If Michael is obsessed with Laurie because she got away, then Laurie will either have to die or appear in all future sequels, so the random factor is still gone. If Michael and Laurie have to be in each other's orbit until one dies, it's better that they are siblings. It's relatable: lots of people have relatives they can't get rid of.

If Michael does get rid of Laurie, then how are future sequels justified? It would just be a constant retread of the original. If a new "one that got away" arises from this new series for Michael to fixate on, she would never be as popular as Laurie, and the fans would resent her for being a fake-Laurie.

Mighty Member

Even one of my friends on youtube known as Ocpcommunications is also not even the least bit impressed and i agree with him that the cinematography is bland, dull and lifeless. The supporting cast is hard to watch just from a small sample size, the story is beyond pointless because Halloween II(1981) already exists, and so does H20. Jamie Lee Curtis looks like she is tired of this **** and is only doing it for a paycheck(And she already faced Michael in epic fashion in H20. This looks pathetic in comparison.), and what is she replacing Loomis? Because that's what this looks like.

More like "the night Michael should just go home".

NO, NO no! just leave the Halloween franchise alone already, i had enough.

It's time they just retire the beloved horror icons like Freddy, Chucky, Michael, Pinhead and Leatherface to pass on and rest in peace, they had their place in the sun and need new ideas and new franchises. They done more than enough stories, more than enough movies and there's nothing more you can offer to these characters.

Me and one of my favorite youtube reviewers Ocpcommunications and Ramboraph4life all agree with this. Enough is enough! there's nothing to make these characters fresh or any stories to add anything worth and with these sequels and remakes, we feel these are hurting their legacy. Me and them think it's damaging things and turning the characters into jokes as we are tired of it! it's becoming like the Leprechaun or Witchcraft or Children of the Corn franchises and just running it into the ground. Me and them feel like Tom Atkins at the end of Halloween III with the "stop it STOP IT STOP IT!!!", we had a good run (Well sometimes) yet with a bad remake of Elm Street as Englund is Freddy, It's been 10 years since the last Friday The 13th as i really enjoyed the 2009 one yet it did alright in the box-office but no sequel.

I don't need a fake-ass Halloween 2 being this one when we have the real one in 1981 and the series should had ended 20 years ago as Michael died and there is no such thing as "resurrection", i don't need to pay to see Halloween 11 in theaters, what's more to do then just rehash the first movie?. I also don't need a fake-ass Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 known as Texas Chainsaw 3D when the real TCM 2 came out in 1986.

The Halloween remakes were no help at all! what's Carpenter gonna do with this one? he can do different movies than Halloween and maybe he should do a new movie.

How many times have me and Ocpcommunications and Ramboraph4life have been screwed by these writers/directors on these horror franchises, it hurts we are done and we can't take it anyone! Halloween 5 and resurrection were bad enough and 6 was mediocre enough, H2O should had been the last one instead of screwing the pooch. We have new ideas that should had been released in theaters like Behind the Mask to Tucker vs Dale as they are fresh stuff to The Collector movies! even Saw was ran into the ground and the last one bombed.

Me and those 2 guys feel in pain and if anyone is a fan of the characters i mentioned and don't like what's been done to them in the past 10 or 20 years, then don't go see the movie in the theaters. Why keep supporting this ****? me and those 2 guys don't understand at all.

I mean how many Hellraisers are they still doing when they should know when to quit? or Chainsaw Massacres or shitty Child's Play movies they are still doing? a Child's Play TV series? screw that, i'm not gonna see it since Mancini has screwed this franchise into the ground after 3 as i'm fine with the true Child's Play films being 1 to 3 and things went downhill after that no thanks to the writer as he is a poor writer/director as he may did good work on 1 and 2 even the Tales from the Crypt episode Fitting Punishment and did some ok work on Child's Play 3 but after 3 things went on a decline as this franchise isn't getting any better as Brad Douriff feels tired of this character. If people like the new sequels then cool as it doesn't mean me and the 2 guys i mentioned don't have to, i have problem if people like these new sequels but me and the 2 reviewers don't understand it because we think the new sequels (Seed, Curse and cult) just suck ass.

If your like me with Ocpcommunications and Ramboraph4life and is sick of this **** then stop supporting it! that's how your gonna send your message to the studios. That's how your gonna get your message across! if you want to see a new sequel to any of the franchises i mentioned then just see it on Netflix or rent it, cheaper than a movie ticket if your really that curious. What do you think your gonna see with the new Halloween movie what you've already seen before? Jamie Lee already came back in H2O and Michael unmasking was shown in Halloween 5 as he cried like a wuss and seen him talk in Rob Zombies Halloween 2.

Look at Hellraiser, it was pushing it after the third film yet they had to go into space with four and wasn't even the worst one well keep making Hellraiser movies, enough is enough. It's like "Why"? studios don't be like Witchcraft and this reminds me what happened with the Universal monsters came in and had huge characters, huge names! then they pumped out sequels (Bride is the only worthwhile sequel) and became overkill, had diminishing box-office and became jokes of themselves with the sequels even starring in Abbot and Costello films despite Abbot and Costello were enjoyable.

I mean what next Jason or Leatherface or Freddy in some comedy where they meets Harold and Kumar? is that where it's going? you gotta know when to stop. Universal monsters have been so overused they don't know how to do a proper reboot series and couldn't do it with Van Helsing, they tried it with the Mummy and Dracula yet they failed with Dark Universe. There's no when to quit or end, when do these remakes of these franchises worked? well Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday The 13th i like them but nothing came of sequels, just end already.

The horror franchises and iconic characters are just whored out by studios to make a quick buck, it also reminds me and the two reviewers of the slasher boom in the 80s when it crashed by 1989. They are beating this dead horse at this point, it's a dead corpse and these horror icons i mentioned are like the monsters in the Abbot and Costello movies, as it's like complete and total jokes. Yet you can argue, they were getting to that point before this! why even continue? why studios you continue to stain their legacy or their name more for it's like i don't understand, is it just laziness? i mean horror audiences go to see in a big name, we'll get the money and it's disappointing. Its also sad and crazy to see films like Cult of Chucky to get people praising it saying like it's "great", all that does is kill the franchise with the mentality of "I want more" and Mancini has killed it, i mean Chucky won with a stupid cheat code as he's invincible now. What's even the point?

Studios never think clearly but this message should make them think clearly when enough is enough. Yet they look at the bottom line too! it's overkill and they are just whoring these iconic horror franchises out for money and me with Ocpcommunications/Ramboraph4life don't understand why fans of these franchises just be like "yeh i'll pay for that" as we don't get it. The message is simple: Stop! stop taking these horror icons and digging them up their corpses out the ground, propping them up and dusting them off then throwing them into new movies acting if they were as cool as ever or as fresh or as popular as they were in the 80s and 90s. cause it's not! it's not the case try to make an effort into something and let the series live on in the merchandise, blurays. streams etc. there were enough stories to tell.

Just hang it up, they had good runs cause at this point your hurting things. Just channel the budget and make new horror icons plus new franchises than recyclying old glory just try to make a new horror icon. I know it hurts but it's the truth, i love the horror characters i mentioned but enough is enough but sometimes you got let go and let them rest in peace. We don't need leatherface, Freddy, Chucky or Michael become the same situation as Robocop, just let these horror icons rest in peace in favor of new franchises/horror icons.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

I don't know if anything could make me feel older than the realization that I've seen this franchise soft-reboot itself with a "20 years later, ignoring most of the sequels" film, and now a "40 years later, ignoring the sequels" film.

Much like H20, they could have kept Halloween 2 in continuity; seems odd to ditch the sibling angle unless they plan to do something really interesting with it. Also, while H20 gave no explanation for his recovery from the explosion + eyes shot out thing other than the implication that his supernatural-ness helped, that at least lets you head-canon some stuff about why he wasn't doing much for 20 years. Here he would have gotten up from the lawn after his fall in 1978 and just walked off for forty years. I suppose the new film could end up saying he's been responsible for a series of off-again on-again killing sprees for the last four decades. *shrug*

EDIT: Now I hear there will be some slight retconning of the first film's ending, so maybe the 1978 events will now say he was captured and incarcerated for 40 years.
    Last edited by Robotech Master; 06-08-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    I don't know if anything could make me feel older than the realization that I've seen this franchise soft-reboot itself with a "20 years later, ignoring most of the sequels" film, and now a "40 years later, ignoring the sequels" film.

Much like H20, they could have kept Halloween 2 in continuity; seems odd to ditch the sibling angle unless they plan to do something really interesting with it.
    I hated it at first. but I must admit that him not being related to Laurie makes him stalking her a lot creepier. all of this is down to her showing up at his old house at the wrong time. that's more 'boogeyman' than crazed family member.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Even one of my friends on youtube known as Ocpcommunications is also not even the least bit impressed and i agree with him that the cinematography is bland, dull and lifeless. The supporting cast is hard to watch just from a small sample size, the story is beyond pointless because Halloween II(1981) already exists, and so does H20. Jamie Lee Curtis looks like she is tired of this **** and is only doing it for a paycheck(And she already faced Michael in epic fashion in H20. This looks pathetic in comparison.), and what is she replacing Loomis? Because that's what this looks like.

More like "the night Michael should just go home".

NO, NO no! just leave the Halloween franchise alone already, i had enough.

It's time they just retire the beloved horror icons like Freddy, Chucky, Michael, Pinhead and Leatherface to pass on and rest in peace, they had their place in the sun and need new ideas and new franchises. They done more than enough stories, more than enough movies and there's nothing more you can offer to these characters.

Me and one of my favorite youtube reviewers Ocpcommunications and Ramboraph4life all agree with this. Enough is enough! there's nothing to make these characters fresh or any stories to add anything worth and with these sequels and remakes, we feel these are hurting their legacy. Me and them think it's damaging things and turning the characters into jokes as we are tired of it! it's becoming like the Leprechaun or Witchcraft or Children of the Corn franchises and just running it into the ground. Me and them feel like Tom Atkins at the end of Halloween III with the "stop it STOP IT STOP IT!!!", we had a good run (Well sometimes) yet with a bad remake of Elm Street as Englund is Freddy, It's been 10 years since the last Friday The 13th as i really enjoyed the 2009 one yet it did alright in the box-office but no sequel.

I don't need a fake-ass Halloween 2 being this one when we have the real one in 1981 and the series should had ended 20 years ago as Michael died and there is no such thing as "resurrection", i don't need to pay to see Halloween 11 in theaters, what's more to do then just rehash the first movie?. I also don't need a fake-ass Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 known as Texas Chainsaw 3D when the real TCM 2 came out in 1986.

The Halloween remakes were no help at all! what's Carpenter gonna do with this one? he can do different movies than Halloween and maybe he should do a new movie.

How many times have me and Ocpcommunications and Ramboraph4life have been screwed by these writers/directors on these horror franchises, it hurts we are done and we can't take it anyone! Halloween 5 and resurrection were bad enough and 6 was mediocre enough, H2O should had been the last one instead of screwing the pooch. We have new ideas that should had been released in theaters like Behind the Mask to Tucker vs Dale as they are fresh stuff to The Collector movies! even Saw was ran into the ground and the last one bombed.

Me and those 2 guys feel in pain and if anyone is a fan of the characters i mentioned and don't like what's been done to them in the past 10 or 20 years, then don't go see the movie in the theaters. Why keep supporting this ****? me and those 2 guys don't understand at all.

I mean how many Hellraisers are they still doing when they should know when to quit? or Chainsaw Massacres or shitty Child's Play movies they are still doing? a Child's Play TV series? screw that, i'm not gonna see it since Mancini has screwed this franchise into the ground after 3 as i'm fine with the true Child's Play films being 1 to 3 and things went downhill after that no thanks to the writer as he is a poor writer/director as he may did good work on 1 and 2 even the Tales from the Crypt episode Fitting Punishment and did some ok work on Child's Play 3 but after 3 things went on a decline as this franchise isn't getting any better as Brad Douriff feels tired of this character. If people like the new sequels then cool as it doesn't mean me and the 2 guys i mentioned don't have to, i have problem if people like these new sequels but me and the 2 reviewers don't understand it because we think the new sequels (Seed, Curse and cult) just suck ass.

If your like me with Ocpcommunications and Ramboraph4life and is sick of this **** then stop supporting it! that's how your gonna send your message to the studios. That's how your gonna get your message across! if you want to see a new sequel to any of the franchises i mentioned then just see it on Netflix or rent it, cheaper than a movie ticket if your really that curious. What do you think your gonna see with the new Halloween movie what you've already seen before? Jamie Lee already came back in H2O and Michael unmasking was shown in Halloween 5 as he cried like a wuss and seen him talk in Rob Zombies Halloween 2.

Look at Hellraiser, it was pushing it after the third film yet they had to go into space with four and wasn't even the worst one well keep making Hellraiser movies, enough is enough. It's like "Why"? studios don't be like Witchcraft and this reminds me what happened with the Universal monsters came in and had huge characters, huge names! then they pumped out sequels (Bride is the only worthwhile sequel) and became overkill, had diminishing box-office and became jokes of themselves with the sequels even starring in Abbot and Costello films despite Abbot and Costello were enjoyable.

I mean what next Jason or Leatherface or Freddy in some comedy where they meets Harold and Kumar? is that where it's going? you gotta know when to stop. Universal monsters have been so overused they don't know how to do a proper reboot series and couldn't do it with Van Helsing, they tried it with the Mummy and Dracula yet they failed with Dark Universe. There's no when to quit or end, when do these remakes of these franchises worked? well Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday The 13th i like them but nothing came of sequels, just end already.

The horror franchises and iconic characters are just whored out by studios to make a quick buck, it also reminds me and the two reviewers of the slasher boom in the 80s when it crashed by 1989. They are beating this dead horse at this point, it's a dead corpse and these horror icons i mentioned are like the monsters in the Abbot and Costello movies, as it's like complete and total jokes. Yet you can argue, they were getting to that point before this! why even continue? why studios you continue to stain their legacy or their name more for it's like i don't understand, is it just laziness? i mean horror audiences go to see in a big name, we'll get the money and it's disappointing. Its also sad and crazy to see films like Cult of Chucky to get people praising it saying like it's "great", all that does is kill the franchise with the mentality of "I want more" and Mancini has killed it, i mean Chucky won with a stupid cheat code as he's invincible now. What's even the point?

Studios never think clearly but this message should make them think clearly when enough is enough. Yet they look at the bottom line too! it's overkill and they are just whoring these iconic horror franchises out for money and me with Ocpcommunications/Ramboraph4life don't understand why fans of these franchises just be like "yeh i'll pay for that" as we don't get it. The message is simple: Stop! stop taking these horror icons and digging them up their corpses out the ground, propping them up and dusting them off then throwing them into new movies acting if they were as cool as ever or as fresh or as popular as they were in the 80s and 90s. cause it's not! it's not the case try to make an effort into something and let the series live on in the merchandise, blurays. streams etc. there were enough stories to tell.

Just hang it up, they had good runs cause at this point your hurting things. Just channel the budget and make new horror icons plus new franchises than recyclying old glory just try to make a new horror icon. I know it hurts but it's the truth, i love the horror characters i mentioned but enough is enough but sometimes you got let go and let them rest in peace. We don't need leatherface, Freddy, Chucky or Michael become the same situation as Robocop, just let these horror icons rest in peace in favor of new franchises/horror icons.
    i'll agree that those characters were icons. and them being big names might have only happened because it was the 80s and horror icons were re-emerging (second wave of Universal Monsters). but I see absolutely nothing wrong with Carpenter wanting to have the final say on the character. my hope is that this is it for the Shape. if there's a follow-up, they should go with a completely new story (as originally intended).

Looks good. I still have my reservations about ignoring II; but if the goal truly is to remove the sibling angle from the story I do understand it. I don't dislike the revelation, but I can understand wanting to roll without it. Its just that II was a damn good installment, imo. Pretty much the only worthy one after the original in my view. But, like I said, I can understand the mindset, so I'm onboard to see where this goes.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-08-2018 at 03:21 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

It would be cool if Danielle Harris and Josh Hartnett have a cameo as Laurie‘s two other childern.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-08-2018 at 05:54 PM.