Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

In my mind I'm kinda comparing this to H20, after all it was the first coda and this is, well, the second. I think I like H20 a little better. Well on to a spoilerific review:

spoilers:
    Laurie is now basically Sarah Connor from T2 now, in that she let that incident shape her into a crazy hermit obsessed with the day Michael could return. Or will return as she sees it. She lost custody of her daughter when her daughter was 12 I believe and tries desperately to reconnect with to both her as an adult and granddaughter. Michael meanwhile, as you know from the trailers, have spent the last 40 years in a mental institution. Loomis passed away in the interim and thus his protege Dr. Sartain has been looking after him all these years. Two people, a man and a woman, with a podcast first "interview" Michael, bringing the mask, and then later Laurie.

Well Michael was being transferred, he decided the crash the bus, he escapes. Sartain was with him, and accidentally gets shot by a kid whose dad, taking him on a hunting trip, stops to help. Michael shortly kills the kid. Brutally. Kills the workers at a gas station (one for his clothes), and to kill the two podcast people who happen to be at said gas station. Laurie now knows Michael is back and this time she's ready!

I think this is one of the better directed sequels. And the kills were brutal and random early on. A few things nag at me though. For one, Sartain's heel turn seemed...I don't know, off. Convenient even. Another, Myers's strength. I always figured Michael was ridiculously strong but well within the bounds of what a human can do. Now he's firmly in Jason Voorhees territory. He can take a crowbar to the face unmasked without flinching and cave a man's head in with one stomp? Finally, the ending. I'm curious if it ended the way it did because Carpenter knew or felt this would restart the franchise...or if a more finite ending was planned and even filmed but someone along the line somewhere (Carpenter, Miramax, whomever) said no leave it open ended so we can make more! It just didn't jive with the rest of the film especially how gung-ho Laurie was to put a bullet in Michael's head up until that point.

I guess that's why I feel H20 is a bit better. Crazy hermit or not Laurie had a better showing here and the killings were worse (this movie reminds you you're supposed to hate Michael), H20 was still better all around with a better ending IMO. Though I give the movie props for the house showdown in the finale it was tense and clever.
    end of spoilers

It was pretty good H20 was better though.

Carpenter

spoilers:
    I think if anyone wanted to continue the series it would be the producers and studios and not Carpenter IMO. Now I can be wrong I'm just going off past comments and interviews and while John liked the checks he got from Halloween he always hated the continuation of the franchise past the original film even getting drunk to write Halloween II. So I felt him coming back was him hoping to end this like Ford in Force Awakens and killing Han.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Carpenter

spoilers:
    I think if anyone wanted to continue the series it would be the producers and studios and not Carpenter IMO. Now I can be wrong I'm just going off past comments and interviews and while John liked the checks he got from Halloween he always hated the continuation of the franchise past the original film even getting drunk to write Halloween II. So I felt him coming back was him hoping to end this like Ford in Force Awakens and killing Han.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I kinda figured that, but at the same time I doubt he'd come back to the series without veto power. That's why I'm wondering if he was responsible for the Halloween II-esque ending and not someone going over his head cause they see dollar signs.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    spoilers:
    I kinda figured that, but at the same time I doubt he'd come back to the series without veto power. That's why I'm wondering if he was responsible for the Halloween II-esque ending and not someone going over his head cause they see dollar signs.
    end of spoilers
    Definitely a possibility he always did like the money. Question about the film's ending

spoilers:
    So Lori and her family gets away if they do a sequel I imagine people would want them to be in it and if Michael is again focusing on Lori's family why get rid of the brother angle? I get if wanting to go back to the idea of a random killer targeting anyone but they need to cut the cord to the Strodes going forward for that to work IMO.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Definitely a possibility he always did like the money. Question about the film's ending

spoilers:
    So Lori and her family gets away if they do a sequel I imagine people would want them to be in it and if Michael is again focusing on Lori's family why get rid of the brother angle? I get if wanting to go back to the idea of a random killer targeting anyone but they need to cut the cord to the Strodes going forward for that to work IMO.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    *SHRUGS* Your guess is as good as mine. I wish the twist I spoke about came true: Michael didn't give a damn about Laurie he just likes killing in Haddonfield, it was Laurie who kept picking a fight until he responded. But as it stands now its Laurie with her daughter and granddaughter preparing for Michael's return, trying to fashion a new house into a cage. Which is great, but...I thought there was a specific reason Carpenter didn't like the brother/sister angle besides (IMO) someone else coming up with it. Guess not.
    end of spoilers

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Am i the only one who got a Halloween 4 ending kinda feeling from the ending and the last shot of Allison and what she was holding...?

spoilers:
    *SHRUGS* Your guess is as good as mine. I wish the twist I spoke about came true: Michael didn't give a damn about Laurie he just likes killing in Haddonfield, it was Laurie who kept picking a fight until he responded. But as it stands now its Laurie with her daughter and granddaughter preparing for Michael's return, trying to fashion a new house into a cage. Which is great, but...I thought there was a specific reason Carpenter didn't like the brother/sister angle besides (IMO) someone else coming up with it. Guess not.
    end of spoilers
    Agreed that would had been a good angle to go.

Best Michael Myers sequel, Halloween III is still the best sequel, and the first movie is brilliant and it really doesn't lend itself to sequels which is why even though they've made many sequels in the past 40 years there's always something awkward about it. It's the perfect one-and-done horror story, and I still think that.

Even in this new movie there's quite a bit of contrivance to basically do Halloween and Michael Myers over again. Nevertheless, this movie did it about as well as one could do it. It's well made, has some nice tension and scares, and Jamie Lee Curtis is pretty fantastic in it... It's understandable why it's going to be such a big hit.

Can't for the life of me figure out how they continue from this and make a new franchise, though. It feels like a coda and not a new beginning or something like that. Halloween III really did have the best idea about making it an anthology about Halloween the holiday.

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Because

spoilers:
    That’s kinda what happened in the movie Michael didn’t care about Laurie. He was literally killing random people until he saw Laurie (who was going after him) and even then he really didn’t pursue Laurie until the crazy doctor practically drove him to her house.

I don’t think Carpenter liked the sibling angle because the original concept was that Michael was just some boogie man. Then the sequels all made it about him zoning in on Laurie and Jamie. Which wasn’t as scary because you knew there was a motive and an end goal for him. Like you didn’t really cared who he killed in 2, 4, 5 or H2O as long as Laurie or Jamie made it.

The point of the original is summed up in the final scene. Michael is gone and the camera pans to all the houses in the neighborhood. Because he just exists and he could be anywhere. He’s quite literally the boogeyman.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

This movie is sick! 10M production budget and there's a chance it might beat Venom's record opening October weekend! WTF? People love getting scared as much as their comic book movies. Capes and frights are dominating.
    Last edited by Colossus1980; 10-20-2018 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    This movie is sick! 10M production budget and there's a chance it might beat Venom's record opening October weekend! WTF? People love getting scared as much as their comic book movies. Capes and frights are dominating.
    This has always been the case for horror films.

I'm of two minds with this film as a Halloween Sequel it's good I still prefer Halloween 2 and 3 and find this on par with 4 and H2O better than Rob Zombie's Halloween Films and Halloween 5 and Light Years Better than Curse or Resurrection.

As a general film I find it less impressive because it's a lot of retreading things we've already seen in Halloween, Halloween 2, H20, and even Curse of Michael Myers. I also disliked much of the Humor but it was entertaining and that's all I really ask of a Halloween sequel.

overall I enjoyed it. The last half hour was great and the Julian kid was hilarious. Probably right behind H20 and my favorite "Laurie revenge sequel" H20 I think had the better story and ending, but Michael was more brutal in this one. Probably would go - Halloween, II, H20, H40 (guess we can call it that), 4. The rest are bad to unwatchable (5,6,Resurection, both Zombie movies)