Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Spectacular Member The Mary Janes's Avatar

Default Halloween (2018)

The new trailer for Halloween is out! It looks so good!

Patiently waiting for X-Books to be rebooted later this year

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

It was ok.

This movie is being sold as "back to the Carpenter basics" with Halloween and so that's a high bar...to strike up any scariness or atmosphere near the original.

We shall see, I suppose. But the challenge is hard.

It'll be interesting to see if, all in all, this ends up better than the solid Halloween II (1981) since this is competing (in fan opinion land) to be the new Halloween II. Halloween II (1981) is quite beatable, but I'm still not sure this or any future Halloween flick actually will top it.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-08-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Looks awesome!

I think doing away with the sibling relationship doesn't have the effect that the filmmakers think it does.

In the original, Laurie was singled out by Michael because she dropped the keys off at the Myers house and Michael was inside and he saw her walk away with the kid that she was going to babysit. He then started stalking Laurie and her friends once he saw them with her. So, it was basically all random.

OK, I get that the random thing went away once Halloween II said they were siblings and then the "it could be YOU" factor also went away.

However, if in the new film, Michael still wants to kill Laurie, then there is still no "it could be YOU" factor. If Michael is obsessed with Laurie and Laurie is obsessed with Michael, then why not leave them as siblings? There is still no random factor because the movie will deal with their mutual obsession.

If at the end of (or during) the movie, Laurie gets killed by Michael, then this will be just as unpopular as when she was killed in Halloween Resurrection.

If Laurie is then gone from future sequels, then all we'll have is periodic remakes of the original, basically, where Michael is just killing randomly on Halloween night. If Laurie dos NOT die in this film, then she'll either have to appear in the sequels fighting each other (so why not leave them as siblings?) or have some half-assed reason as to why Michael and Laurie no longer care about each other. Maybe some sort of mutual amnesia?

Either way, I can see perhaps this one film might generate some interest, but I don't see how a franchise can be made out of it going forward. Also, this film itself might turn people off as it is yet another reboot/remake/retcon in this series that really only had one great film, a few somewhat-good/average sequels (II, IV, H20), and lots of unnecessary cash-ins (everything else).
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 06-08-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I think doing away with the sibling relationship doesn't have the effect that the filmmakers think it does.

In the original, Laurie was singled out by Michael because she dropped the keys off at the Myers house and Michael was inside and he saw her walk away with the kid that she was going to babysit. He then started stalking Laurie and her friends once he saw them with her. So, it was basically all random.

OK, I get that the random thing went away once Halloween II said they were siblings and then the "it could be YOU" factor also went away.

However, if in the new film, Michael still wants to kill Laurie, then there is still no "it could be YOU" factor. If Michael is obsessed with Laurie and Laurie is obsessed with Michael, then why not leave them as siblings? There is still no random factor because the movie will deal with their mutual obsession.
    A really good point. I've been dancing around the same point in my head as well on it.

For me, the the "it could be YOU" factor was not something I even thought about when I loved watching Halloween for the first time. So I come at it from a different perspective than some perhaps. Also "it could be YOU" kinda works with finding out you have a crazy/evil long lost sibling you never knew about.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-08-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

The reason Michael is obsessed with Laurie is because she's the one that got away. I think that's a hell of a lot scarier than them being siblings.

Is this a first? The original star of the first two movies, and star of the first reboot who cameo-ed in the follow up, comes back to star in the THIRD reboot? I don't mind the reboot- something like this deserves a fresh reboot every few years, because there is only so many places you can go (still waiting for Michael in space...). It looks really good, and looks more of my speed than the Rob Zombie ones.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    The reason Michael is obsessed with Laurie is because she's the one that got away. I think that's a hell of a lot scarier than them being siblings.
    But some might counter wondering if "the sibling one that got away" is that different enough from the "non-sibling one that got away."

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

Is this a first? The original star of the first two movies, and star of the first reboot who cameo-ed in the follow up, comes back to star in the THIRD reboot? I don't mind the reboot- something like this deserves a fresh reboot every few years, because there is only so many places you can go (still waiting for Michael in space...). It looks really good, and looks more of my speed than the Rob Zombie ones.
    I understand why Michael is obsessed with Laurie as the one that got away, but making them siblings doesn't change that. She is the sister that got away. He wants to kill his family, and this is what allowed for Halloween IV to happen without Laurie.

Anyway, it goes back to my original point. If Michael is obsessed with Laurie because she got away, then Laurie will either have to die or appear in all future sequels, so the random factor is still gone. If Michael and Laurie have to be in each other's orbit until one dies, it's better that they are siblings. It's relatable: lots of people have relatives they can't get rid of.

If Michael does get rid of Laurie, then how are future sequels justified? It would just be a constant retread of the original. If a new "one that got away" arises from this new series for Michael to fixate on, she would never be as popular as Laurie, and the fans would resent her for being a fake-Laurie.

This is a good point. I think a good twist would be when Michael escapes he's not thinking about Laurie at all, he just wants to pick a new babysitter to terrorize. Rather, its Laurie who is obsessed and goes after Michael, essentially becoming a de facto Dr. Loomis in a way. In other words, no more mutual obsession (without the sibling angle its back to being random) but rather a ONE-way obsession, Laurie killing Michael.

Maybe the British dude will turn out to be Sam Loomis Jr? Maybe mentioning Michael and Laurie not being siblings in the trailer is a misdirect. Trailers have been known to be misleading before.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    This is a good point. I think a good twist would be when Michael escapes he's not thinking about Laurie at all, he just wants to pick a new babysitter to terrorize. Rather, its Laurie who is obsessed and goes after Michael, essentially becoming a de facto Dr. Loomis in a way. In other words, no more mutual obsession (without the sibling angle its back to being random) but rather a ONE-way obsession, Laurie killing Michael.
    It’s not a one-way obsession though. In the trailer Laurie says, “He’s waited for this day, he’s waited for me, and I’ve waited for him.” So they’ve gotten rid of the sibling angle for no apparent reason.