Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Man, this is pushing all the right buttons for me. Adore the first film, think the sequels got off on the wrong foot immediately. Getting back to first principals is, I think, the right choice. Cinematography looks great, great cast, everything looks great.

The only Halloween sequel I actually care about is Halloween III, which is infamous for being unrelated to Michael Myers (the plan was to make the series and anthology of unrelated horror films set during Halloween). Wouldn'tchaknow there's a neat Halloween III reference in this new trailer!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I'm not feeling the direction of this one. 40 years is too big of a gap and I don't like Michael and Laurie ain't sibling anymore. Makes me wish Rob Zombie would give the series another go.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    I don't know if anything could make me feel older than the realization that I've seen this franchise soft-reboot itself with a "20 years later, ignoring most of the sequels" film, and now a "40 years later, ignoring the sequels" film.

Much like H20, they could have kept Halloween 2 in continuity; seems odd to ditch the sibling angle unless they plan to do something really interesting with it.

EDIT: Now I hear there will be some slight retconning of the first film's ending, so maybe the 1978 events will now say he was captured and incarcerated for 40 years.
    Originally it was going to be a sequel to the first 2 movies. John Carpenter has never liked the sibling angle, so that's part of the reason they are making this a "direct" sequel to the original and ignoring 2. The ending to the original had to be tweaked to accommodate this film. Probably have Michael found passed out a block down the street or something? Looking forward to this movie.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I never saw the issue with the sibling angle. Halloween opens with Michael murdering his older sister. Who knows why Michael wanted to kill his family but I thought it was compelling reason for him for wanting to hunt down Laurie and later Jamie. It's disappointing that Laurie daughter isn't named Jamie in this film. It would have been a nice mythology gag.

Astonishing Member

Let's see how it plays out. As far as being an alternate - why that is a well known technique! Why get all excited - just see if the story works and movie is a good one to watch.

We know how WWII played out but that doesn't stop one from reading a good what if.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    i'll agree that those characters were icons. and them being big names might have only happened because it was the 80s and horror icons were re-emerging (second wave of Universal Monsters). but I see absolutely nothing wrong with Carpenter wanting to have the final say on the character. my hope is that this is it for the Shape. if there's a follow-up, they should go with a completely new story (as originally intended).
    As long as the Akkads hold the rights to Halloween, they will never again make one without Michael Meyers. They tried it once and got Halloween III- Season of the Witch.

The trailer was good I don't mind the erasing the new timeline simply because this series is constantly rewriting itself. 3 is in it's own bubble, it was a decent retcon in 88 to reveal Michael and Loomis survived Halloween II after the explosion, then H20 and Resurrection ignoring everything since II, next Rob Zombie's remake series, and last this if there was any consistency I'd mind but since not oh well here we go again.

There is a lot of emphasis by the film makers that Michael is not some kind of Super Human and is a normal man. I think Laurie is going to kill Michael in this film then a reboot again in a few years but yeah I think it's why Carpenter came back to do music much like how Ford was happy to comeback to kill Han.

I didn't know they were making this movie! Looks pretty good, especially by today's movie-making standards. I Hope it is awesome!

I love Jamie Leigh Curtis and glad to see she is in it! I also love her with that hair, as opposed to the ultra-short style she usually wears in real life.

Michael looks like the Michael I know--from the original films, not those horrible remakes.

Can't wait to see this movie!!

BANNED

Oh come on... Another Halloween revival?

What is this? 1998?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post

What is this? 1998?
    No. It is 2018. The year of Michael Myers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post

What is this? 1998?
    Halloween does it about every tens Return of Michael Myers in 88, H20 in 98, Rob Zombie in 07 (Almost 10 years), and now this.

Extraordinary Member

Carpenter is the only reason I care about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I think doing away with the sibling relationship doesn't have the effect that the filmmakers think it does.

In the original, Laurie was singled out by Michael because she dropped the keys off at the Myers house and Michael was inside and he saw her walk away with the kid that she was going to babysit. He then started stalking Laurie and her friends once he saw them with her. So, it was basically all random.

OK, I get that the random thing went away once Halloween II said they were siblings and then the "it could be YOU" factor also went away.

However, if in the new film, Michael still wants to kill Laurie, then there is still no "it could be YOU" factor. If Michael is obsessed with Laurie and Laurie is obsessed with Michael, then why not leave them as siblings? There is still no random factor because the movie will deal with their mutual obsession.
    This is a good point. I think a good twist would be when Michael escapes he's not thinking about Laurie at all, he just wants to pick a new babysitter to terrorize. Rather, its Laurie who is obsessed and goes after Michael, essentially becoming a de facto Dr. Loomis in a way. In other words, no more mutual obsession (without the sibling angle its back to being random) but rather a ONE-way obsession, Laurie killing Michael.

Maybe the British dude will turn out to be Sam Loomis Jr? Maybe mentioning Michael and Laurie not being siblings in the trailer is a misdirect. Trailers have been known to be misleading before.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    Maybe the British dude will turn out to be Sam Loomis Jr? Maybe mentioning Michael and Laurie not being siblings in the trailer is a misdirect. Trailers have been known to be misleading before.
    No. Even in interviews they say they are not siblings.