Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Well that's actually been the status quo for the New 52 to Rebirth era. Seems all Flash does nowadays is deal with either evil speedsters or the Speed Force.

But I totally agree. Enough with the gods for once.

I thought in the New 52 and Rebirth, Flash had some arcs where he fought Grodd and the rogues a few different times?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I thought in the New 52 and Rebirth, Flash had some arcs where he fought Grodd and the rogues a few different times?
    He did, but sometimes you can get the impression that there might be too many Speedsters in the book (not that I personally believe it, but it gets bandied out here and then).

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Think they might need to re-name the book soon
    "The Incredible Jason and... the new Wonder Woman"

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads...nder-woman.gif

I don't think Diana has those attributes any more since she is the daughter of Hippolyta and Zeus instead of being brought to life by various Olympians in the past.
    Hard telling.

Wasn't something quite like that a part of the foundations Rucka laid out, or did they just scrap that aspect?
    Last edited by numberthirty; 06-09-2018 at 01:32 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Hard telling.

Wasn't something quite like that a part of the foundations Rucka laid out, or did they just scrap that aspect?

Whatever blessings were given to Diana in Rucka's 2nd run were given well after she was created by Hippolyta and Zeus. In Perez's run, various Olympians not only gave Diana life but powers as well such as the speed of Hermes. We do know that Diana was more powerful after the gods gave her blessings in Rucka's run but I don't think anything was defined.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Those gods' names are atrocious.
    Savage Fire, The God With No Name, Mob God....

Yeah I take back what I've been saying about their potential, they seem pretty lame due to their names alone.

BANNED

They sound like trash metal album titles

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Yeah I take back what I've been saying about their potential, they seem pretty lame due to their names alone.
    They’re going to be gone after this run. What a waste of potential on what could’ve been a cool concept.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

They’re going to be gone after this run. What a waste of potential on what could’ve been a cool concept.
    Dont' forget:

Karnell, the Tainted Love God

King Best

for a total of:

• Karnell [love]
    • King Best
    • Mob God [mob rule]
    • Nameless God [doubt]
    • Savage Fire [war]

and there are a total of 13 Dark Gods.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 06-11-2018 at 05:56 AM.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

What potential, they’re evil Gods from the Dark underbelly of the DC Universe, it’s not a super clever idea

Spectacular Member

Other than King Best, I'm actually okay with the names. I mean, I agree that sound like trash metal album titles, but they did come out of the metal event. And yah, I'm not taking them very seriously and doubt we'll see them again, but whatever. I've been done with Jason for awhile, and this preview has changed nothing on that count.

Also, I think we can stop blaming Azzarello for the book's woes, it's been years since his run at this point, and most of it was wiped away by Rucka anyway.

I don't personally have a problem with the names of the gods as almost all mythological deities names, when looked at etymologically, are pretty straightforward - in any cultural expression.

Zeus = "God"
    Ares = "Injurer/Destroyer"
    Hera = "Protectress"
    Artemis = "Safe/Sound"
    Hermes = "Boundary Marker"
    Athena = "Famous pointy weapon"

In Norse Mythology

Odhinn = "Master of Inspiration/Fury"
    Thorr = "Thunder"
    Loki = "Closer"
    Frigga = "Beloved"
    Frey = "Lord"
    Freya = "Lady"
    Tyr = "God" (also etymologically connected to Zeus/Deus by way of first Proto-Germanic *Tiwaz stemming from Proto Indo-European *dyew)

Almost all gods' names are descriptions of their socio-religious functions.

Hell, even the Abrahamic "Yahweh" just means, "The one who is."

I'm not loving Robinson's run as much as I hoped but I'm not going to fault him on the Dark Gods' names.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    I'm not loving Robinson's run as much as I hoped but I'm not going to fault him on the Dark Gods' names.
    I doubt he even named them, honestly.

But whoever did... phew. Those names are bad even for comic book characters.

I'm not really into the Ultra Boy-ification of Jason's powers.

We'll see if he sticks around post-Robinson or if he becomes a sacrificial pariah to the Dark Gods (and for the title.) If he does stick it out, maybe another writer can add some depth and intrigue to his character. Maybe he could enroll in Holliday University or something. If he doesn't stick it out, we can't even give the armor to someone else, as it's one time use only.

This has been happening since Azzarello's run on the title. With how many gods Wonder Woman has fought or interacted with in this book since 2011, maybe they should just re-name the book "Deities guest-starring Wonder Woman".
    ::cues Belinda Carlisle's "Heaven is a Place on Earth"::

(I'm so tired of deity threats...I need some more Doctor Cyber, Doctor Poison, Angle Man, Inversion, Superwoman [yeah, I know she's dead], Queen Clea, Anton Unreal, and others, etc. reappearing, revamped, or rebirthed in the pages of Wonder Woman.)