Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Another preview of Wonder Woman without Wonder Woman.

Think they might need to re-name the book soon

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Another preview of Wonder Woman without Wonder Woman.

Think they might need to re-name the book soon

This has been happening since Azzarello's run on the title. With how many gods Wonder Woman has fought or interacted with in this book since 2011, maybe they should just re-name the book "Deities guest-starring Wonder Woman".
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    This has been happening since Azzarello's run on the title. With how many gods Wonder Woman has fought or interacted with in this book since 2011, maybe they should just re-name the book "Deities guest-starring Wonder Woman".
    It's been happening since Eric Luke's run, actually. I don't mind so much, when there's a story, micro-mythos and exotic locales attached to these tangles with godlike beings...but gods popping out of nowhere, knocking over skyscrapers? Furthermore, tangles with gods [GODS!], like First Born, that don't seem to have any clearly acrticulated threat - what happens, if Diana loses - or global/cosmic consequence ..is getting sort of tired. The WW comic has seen too much of that.

Anyone here see the original Ghostbusters, ..particularly the scene, where Bill Murray explains that there will be rivers of blood and dogs and cats will be living together, ..if the 'Busters can't send Gozer (Babylonian god) back to Hell? THAT is what never happens in the pages of WW, anymore. Malevolent, godlike or celestial beings just show up out of nowhere, and Gal Ga...I mean 'Diana' whips out her sword and starts hacking away at them, like an over-caffeinated lumberjack. We need to know what terrible, apocalyptic consequence that no one can live with will unfold, if Wonder Woman doesn't save the day. Without that...

You really don't have much of a story.

So now, it's the DARK GODS! It's "Jason Against The Dark Gods"...and so what? We don't know what they want? While James suggests the dark gods are driving people psycho, we don't really know what terrible horror will happen, if he fails? What will the dark gods do to Jason...brush his hair? Cook him a grilled cheese sandwich? How can we cheer him on, pray for his survival or victory, ..if we don't know what he's up against? Very problematic for me, that is.

And another thing...I think, if Jason doesn't get a superhero name, before WW #50, he's probably going to be dead, for awhile. He's not Logan, Buck Rogers, Jean Grey or 'Donna Troy', whose names, while less than epic, are brands, unto themselves. He's a guy in a magic suit, who happens to be Wonder Woman's twin brother, ..and that, alone, is not very interesting. Adio, Jay-Jay!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-08-2018 at 01:37 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Those gods' names are atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    The name 'Atrocious' would be an improvement.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Savage Fire, The God With No Name, Mob God....

Yeah I take back what I've been saying about their potential, they seem pretty lame due to their names alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    It's been happening since Eric Luke's run, actually. I don't mind so much, when there's a story, micro-mythos and exotic locales attached to these tangles with godlike beings...but gods popping out of nowhere, knocking over skyscrapers? Furthermore, tangles with gods [GODS!], like First Born, that don't seem to have any clearly acrticulated threat - what happens, if Diana loses - or global/cosmic consequence ..is getting sort of tired. The WW comic has seen too much of that.

Anyone here see the original Ghostbusters, ..particularly the scene, where Bill Murray explains that there will be rivers of blood and dogs and cats will be living together, ..if the 'Busters can't send Gozer (Babylonian god) back to Hell? THAT is what never happens in the pages of WW, anymore. Malevolent, godlike or celestial beings just show up out of nowhere, and Gal Ga...I mean 'Diana' whips out her sword and starts hacking away at them, like an over-caffeinated lumberjack. We need to know what terrible, apocalyptic consequence that no one can live with will unfold, if Wonder Woman doesn't save the day. Without that...

You really don't have much of a story.

So now, it's the DARK GODS! It's "Jason Against The Dark Gods"...and so what? We don't know what they want? While James suggests the dark gods are driving people psycho, we don't really know what terrible horror will happen, if he fails? What will the dark gods do to Jason...brush his hair? Cook him a grilled cheese sandwich? How can we cheer him on, pray for his survival or victory, ..if we don't know what he's up against? Very problematic for me, that is.

And another thing...I think, if Jason doesn't get a superhero name, before WW #50, he's probably going to be dead, for awhile. He's not Logan, Buck Rogers, Jean Grey or 'Donna Troy', whose names, while less than epic, are brands, unto themselves. He's a guy in a magic suit, who happens to be Wonder Woman's twin brother, ..and that, alone, is not very interesting. Adio, Jay-Jay!

Since Luc's run, there have been some writers who wrote several stories for Diana that didn't include the gods or they didn't appear in more than a cameo. Jimenez, Rucka(1st run), Heinberg, and Simone all wrote stories that had Diana face off against non-dieties. Since Azzarello's run, every writer including him have had Diana mostly fighting or interacting with Deities with the exception of Fontana. I hope the creative team that comes after Orlando is given a mandate not to use any deities for their entire run. Greek, New, Celtic, Dark.....they're all deities. Imagine Superman spending 80% of his time the last 5 years fighting or interacting with aliens. Same goes for Flash and speedsters. The gods are washed, rinsed, and repeated to the point that they don't seem godly in the least bit any more to me.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Since Luc's run, there have been some writers who wrote several stories for Diana that didn't include the gods or they didn't appear in more than a cameo. Jimenez, Rucka(1st run), Heinberg, and Simone all wrote stories that had Diana face off against non-dieties. Since Azzarello's run, every writer including him have had Diana mostly fighting or interacting with Deities with the exception of Fontana. I hope the creative team that comes after Orlando is given a mandate not to use any deities for their entire run. Greek, New, Celtic, Dark.....they're all deities. Imagine Superman spending 80% of his time the last 5 years fighting or interacting with aliens. Same goes for Flash and speedsters. The gods are washed, rinsed, and repeated to the point that they don't seem godly in the least bit any more to me.
    Well that's actually been the status quo for the New 52 to Rebirth era. Seems all Flash does nowadays is deal with either evil speedsters or the Speed Force.

But I totally agree. Enough with the gods for once.

::cues Belinda Carlisle's "Heaven is a Place on Earth"::

(I'm so tired of deity threats...I need some more Doctor Cyber, Doctor Poison, Angle Man, Inversion, Superwoman [yeah, I know she's dead], Queen Clea, Anton Unreal, and others, etc. reappearing, revamped, or rebirthed in the pages of Wonder Woman.)

Also, random aside question: Since when can Star Sapphires teleport across spacetime?

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    ::cues Belinda Carlisle's "Heaven is a Place on Earth"::

(I'm so tired of deity threats...I need some more Doctor Cyber, Doctor Poison, Angle Man, Inversion, Superwoman [yeah, I know she's dead], Queen Clea, Anton Unreal, and others, etc. reappearing, revamped, or rebirthed in the pages of Wonder Woman.)
    Perhaps it is the curse of the iconic runs? Perez did a fantastic run that opened new ground for Wonder Woman by giving her what is arguably the richest backstory among all superheroes. At the same time he set up the model where her origin story often is ridiculously front-loaded and created a strong association with her for gods, quests, and fates.

Marston had her orgin story starting with Steve Trevor crashing on the first page. Perez reaches Diana saving Trevor on page 16 in his second issue, after 48 pages total if I count right, and most of what goes before is about myths and gods and wars. Legend of Wonder Woman needs 52 pages, but at least it goes into much more detail about Diana's childhood. Earth One needs 32 pages. Rucka needed 19 pages (but in the second issue due to the way his story was structured).

I think one can see the same pattern after Miller's The Dark Knight stories: Batman was written differently after that run, and became much more dark and brooding. It both cases it provided new aspects on the character and gave room for new adventures, but at the same time the new aspects and styles of adventures came to dominate the stories that came afterwards.

The golden, bendy noodle-thing that wraps around Jason's shoulders - I think it started as an inking error - and makes NO sense. Maybe, WW #48 will explain that. Maybe, it's his answer to that lasso...Golden Noodle of Correction? Maybe, he'll beat you with it, if you get sassy with him or don't eat your Kanga Crunch cereal. A skilled writer could make a thing out of this giant noodle.

What is that thing? Is it made of metal or Gorilla Tape? Why is it pointy in the back? Why is it there?

Hoping #48 has him ripping it off off and taking on the superhero codename...[?], ..just before Etta Candy, Ferdinand and Artemis return to slap around some dark gods. Hoping...
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-13-2018 at 04:39 AM.

Lone Angel Chris

Okay... am I the only one finding issue with Jason being able to instantly call upon the Wisdom of Athena and know his opponents? There was a time... not too long ago when Diana had the wisdom of Athena, swifter than Hermes, stronger than Heracles, more beautiful than Aphrodite, and had unity with the beasts and the fires of sisterhood to open men's hearts to her [maybe not exactly the last one, but close]. What happened? We started out making such strides with Wonder Woman's progression with the 52 [yeah I actually came around to the new 52 god mode WW, especially after Brian started writing Diana like the Post Crisis/pre-52 WW]! How did we come to this? Oh, I get it... This is NOT Diana! We are still in the "Lies" story and there will be two Dianas hitting the scene soon! Misdirection to antagonize the fan base?! I LIKE IT!!

Anyway, the art looks AMAZING!

Regards,
    Lone Angel Chris
    "Awaiting for the Surprise Twist"

Quote Originally Posted by LoneAngel74 View Post
    Okay... am I the only one finding issue with Jason being able to instantly call upon the Wisdom of Athena and know his opponents? There was a time... not too long ago when Diana had the wisdom of Athena, swifter than Hermes, stronger than Heracles, more beautiful than Aphrodite, and had unity with the beasts and the fires of sisterhood to open men's hearts to her [maybe not exactly the last one, but close]. What happened? We started out making such strides with Wonder Woman's progression with the 52 [yeah I actually came around to the new 52 god mode WW, especially after Brian started writing Diana like the Post Crisis/pre-52 WW]! How did we come to this? Oh, I get it... This is NOT Diana! We are still in the "Lies" story and there will be two Dianas hitting the scene soon! Misdirection to antagonize the fan base?! I LIKE IT!!

Anyway, the art looks AMAZING!

Regards,
    Lone Angel Chris
    "Awaiting for the Surprise Twist"

I don't think Diana has those attributes any more since she is the daughter of Hippolyta and Zeus instead of being brought to life by various Olympians in the past.