Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why can't we have a proper Hanna-Barbera and DC mini-series in Classic form ?

Why can't we have an ORIGINAL DC and Hanna-Barbera crossover in their CLASSIC AND ICONIC FORMS ?

Not their REALISTIC FORMS, but the ICONIC AND CLASSIC FORMS THAT WE ALL KNOW AND LOVE.

Honestly, how hard it is to show an original DC and Hanna-Barbera adventure ?

I mean just look at Scooby-Doo Team-Up ?

The very idea of it should be spin-off to other Hanna-Barbera and DC match-ups, right ?

As fans of CLASSIC and ICONIC Hanna-Barbera shows, what do you think of this ?

Hell yea Johnny Quest/Batman cross over

Green Lantern/space Ghost

Because continuity must be worshipped at all costs.

I think there's room for a Batman '66 series, a Wonder Woman '77 series, a JLA Satellite era series, a Batman Animated series, a classic Super Friends series, a Superman '78 series, a Golden Age JSA series, a Wolfman Titans series, a Hanna Barbera Heroes series...

But continuity has become a blessing and a curse since the '80s.

The main barrier is that out-of-continuity stories aren't seen as potential speculator investments. They're not going to cause changes in other books. The idea is that out-of-continuity stories are easily forgotten, inconsequential and not sought after by collectors.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Why can't we have an ORIGINAL DC and Hanna-Barbera crossover in their CLASSIC AND ICONIC FORMS ?

Not their REALISTIC FORMS, but the ICONIC AND CLASSIC FORMS THAT WE ALL KNOW AND LOVE.

Honestly, how hard it is to show an original DC and Hanna-Barbera adventure ?

I mean just look at Scooby-Doo Team-Up ?

The very idea of it should be spin-off to other Hanna-Barbera and DC match-ups, right ?

As fans of CLASSIC and ICONIC Hanna-Barbera shows, what do you think of this ?
    I wish that we could. I love The Flintstones but I won't touch the recent comic simply because they weren't really The Flintstones. That comic may have been good in quality but it would be like watching John Goodman (or any other live-action actor) as Fred Flintstone again. I just don't dig 'realistic' reinventions of cartoony characters.

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

I'm still holding out hope that someday we'll get a JLA type team of Hanna Barbera characters, maybe even a Hanna Barbera Earth as part of the DC Multiverse. Space Ghost, Blue Falcon, Birdman, Mightor, I'd even throw in the Superfriends originals: Black Vulcan, Samurai, Apache Chief, El Doado, this team could be epic! There would have to be a crossover with the DCU, without question! Come on DC, they're somewhere out there in the multiverse, let's see it!
    "The preceding announcement has been paid for by the new World order"

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    I wish that we could. I love The Flintstones but I won't touch the recent comic simply because they weren't really The Flintstones. That comic may have been good in quality but it would be like watching John Goodman (or any other live-action actor) as Fred Flintstone again. I just don't dig 'realistic' reinventions of cartoony characters.
    This.
    Just saw the Preview for Elmer Fudd vs Batman. While the realistic artwork was very good, I didn't much enjoy it let alone want to buy. However, the second half with Classic-al Mad Magazine style was fun. I wish I knew just which of those was the main part of the book.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Lee Stone wrote, "The idea is that out-of-continuity stories are easily forgotten, inconsequential and not sought after by collectors. "
    May be, probably is, true. On the other hand, collectors are hot to have early, or 'significant,' issues of Batman Adventures because they are good! Excellent storytelling, excellent art-- and, yes, here and there introduced characters who became intensely popular. A really good Flintstones 'animated adventures' comic, excellently written, excellently rendered could well fuel the collectors' market, making reprint volumes highly saleable. I, too, like Kyer and Thor2014 (^), just don't care for the 'realistic' portrayals. Haven't yet seen Batman/Fudd, but of the Martian Manhunter/Marvin Martian issue, I definitely preferred the 'cartoony' back-up. Still having hope for Hex/Sam...
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Incredible Member

Seriously guys? Big Footed, body compressed, big nosed characters and anthropomorphic animals side by side with realistic or semi realistic superheroes would look ridiculous, unless you want to do Roger Rabbit and have them come from Toon Town. Besides the Legion crossover had Bugs Bunny in his Iconic form.... and it was a comedy. I think the upcoming Batman looks awesomely dark... and awesomely funny, the right blend of realism and absurdity. D.C. has been knocking these out of the park. Only complaint... $4.99

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Lee Stone wrote, "The idea is that out-of-continuity stories are easily forgotten, inconsequential and not sought after by collectors. "
    May be, probably is, true. On the other hand, collectors are hot to have early, or 'significant,' issues of Batman Adventures because they are good! Excellent storytelling, excellent art-- and, yes, here and there introduced characters who became intensely popular. A really good Flintstones 'animated adventures' comic, excellently written, excellently rendered could well fuel the collectors' market, making reprint volumes highly saleable. I, too, like Kyer and Thor2014 (^), just don't care for the 'realistic' portrayals. Haven't yet seen Batman/Fudd, but of the Martian Manhunter/Marvin Martian issue, I definitely preferred the 'cartoony' back-up. Still having hope for Hex/Sam...
    I agree, some early issues of Batman Adventures do appeal to collectors.
    It was the first comic series based on the popular cartoon and some characters, like Harley, made their first appearances (and some would say 'more iconic looking' appearances) in the series before joining the DCU-proper.

And I also wouldn't mind more non-realistic looking comics. My tastes veer more toward the expressionistic and impressionistic than realistic.
    Probably why my most cherished collections are the Sienkiwicz New Mutants, the original JLI and Allred's Madman.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Fantastic Member

Several years earlier (at SDCC), I once gave an idea to Art Baltazar on doing a DC/Hanna-Barbera crossover mini-series titled ELROY JETSON MEETS THE TINY TITANS.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    I maintain that the comic was more like the original Flintstones than the decades of kiddie stuff that came afterwards. The Flintstones were the Simpsons of the sixties, a primetime cartoon family poking fun at the foibles of white-bread suburban life. The style, yes, I hate the cartoon style of the new book, but the content and material is the original Flintstones for the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I maintain that the comic was more like the original Flintstones than the decades of kiddie stuff that came afterwards. The Flintstones were the Simpsons of the sixties, a primetime cartoon family poking fun at the foibles of white-bread suburban life. The style, yes, I hate the cartoon style of the new book, but the content and material is the original Flintstones for the 21st century.
    I just prefer the 'classic' look. It's the same thing when they try to make Scooy-Doo or Yog Bear look 'realistic' in those bad CG/Live-Action movies.

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

Has anyone seen the new King Arthur film? Acquired taste and I liked it enough after getting used to the editing.

Never before have I ever pictured or associated He-Man with King Arthur, but this movie made me think "Wow, that was a really cool He-Man/MotU movie."

ETA: And I just realized MotU isn't Hanna-Barbera. Why did I think it was? Probably a combination of memories of USA Cartoon Express, Space Ghost, that one actual Hanna-Barbera cartoon that was like it, and WB/DC publishing both.
    Last edited by Potanical Pardon; 07-01-2017 at 12:39 PM.

BANNED

So it seems that we're getting more DC/LooneyTunes Crossover with animated and Realist stories inside each comic, but we're still not getting any animated ANIMATED Hanna-Barbera stories alongside their realistic DC stories.

https://www.cbr.com/dc-looney-tunes-...uck-porky-pig/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Because continuity must be worshipped at all costs.

I think there's room for a Batman '66 series, a Wonder Woman '77 series, a JLA Satellite era series, a Batman Animated series, a classic Super Friends series, a Superman '78 series, a Golden Age JSA series, a Wolfman Titans series, a Hanna Barbera Heroes series...

But continuity has become a blessing and a curse since the '80s.

The main barrier is that out-of-continuity stories aren't seen as potential speculator investments. They're not going to cause changes in other books. The idea is that out-of-continuity stories are easily forgotten, inconsequential and not sought after by collectors.
    This.

10 characters
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.