View Poll Results: Is DC knocking it out of the park right now?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

45 34.35%
  • NO! DC sucks or disappointing right now!

19 14.50%
  • NOT SURE! But I'm feeling confident about the current direction!

40 30.53%
  • NOT SURE! But I'm feeling skeptical about the current direction!

27 20.61%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Is DC KNOCKING IT OUT OF THE PARK right now?

It seems a lot of very recent developments at DC have met with universal raves from fans and comic sites alike.

Scott Snyder's Justice League and Brian Michael Bendis' Man of Steel have gotten almost widespread approval. Not just approval, actually, but enthusiastic cheers!

Coupled with Doomsday Clock (when it actually comes out) and the upcoming Batman/Catwoman wedding, it seems like DC's recent ventures have gotten tons of attention and accolades.

Now, since this is DiDio we're talking about, things could all go to hell in a nanosecond, but I think, for right now, things are looking pretty rosy. I'm just so glad the Bendis Superman didn't turn out to be another JMS debacle where he took over both Superman and Wonder Woman, didn't know what the hell he was doing with them, and had to be replaced/assisted within a few issues of each. Snyder's Justice League will be very fondly remembered, I predict.

If the stories about Grant Morrison on Green Lantern are true, that could also lift GL out of the midpack sales doldrums the franchise has been in for several years now.

So, take the poll and post your feelings as to how DC is doing at this point in time.

BANNED

One of the first things athletes are taught is not to celebrate prematurely.

I don't like to praise things before they get done. So I'll hold off.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-08-2018 at 12:52 PM.

Nope! I am a long time DC fan and while this is certainly better than the New 52, things are still not great. I am currently pulling two titles and it’s pretty much been that way since the start, even though I gave many titles a chance.
    Factor in that Doomsday Clock is holding favored characters hostage with a ridiculous release schedule and my feelings are pretty much back to where they were with the New 52.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Mighty Member

Of course there would be some unnecessary potshot towards Didio. I think DC has been doing extremely well. I think people who still complain will never be happy, since their personal needs or wants are being neglected. I say let them be bitter! They've been producing some of their best material in a while and are being consistent with it.
    Last edited by Raijin; 06-08-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

DC has been doing good. Some of their titles have been excellent, but DC has a few quirks in the armor. Been enjoying the ride, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Is DC KNOCKING IT OUT OF THE PARK right now?
    Not in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Nope! I am a long time DC fan and while this is certainly better than the New 52, things are still not great.
    Actually, there was much I preferred from the New52/DCYou over what we're getting now.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    I am currently pulling two titles and it’s pretty much been that way since the start, even though I gave many titles a chance.
    Factor in that Doomsday Clock is holding favored characters hostage with a ridiculous release schedule and my feelings are pretty much back to where they were with the New 52.
    I just recently dropped Action Comics because of Bendis; I'm on the fence about dropping Batgirl since I don't know if I'll like the new writer(s) replacing Hope Larson; I'm trying Immortal Men even though I don't like the writer because I want to see the new character Ghost Fist; the only DC title I'm still buying regularly these days is Scooby-Doo! Team-Up written by Sholly Fisch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    Of course there would be some unnecessary potshot towards Didio. I think DC has been doing extremely well. I think people who still complain will never be happy, since their personal needs or wants are being neglected. I say let them be bitter! They've been producing some of their best material in a while and are being consistent with it.
    Out of curiosity, when did you start reading DC Comics on a regular basis?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    One of the first things athletes are taught is not to celebrate prematurely.

I don't like to praise things before they get done. So I'll hold off.
    I have to agree with Trey-it's way too early to claim ANYTHING type of victory.

It's easy to claim victory when there is an active moment to trash that OTHER company because of who is on the cover.

But when you look beyond the comic book store-a different story is told. The other company is winning the trade wars.

However the INTEREST in the New Age guys especially with the trades-has a chance to make difference. However the creative team shakeups is a point of concern.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Not in my eyes.

Actually, there was much I preferred from the New52/DCYou over what we're getting now.

I just recently dropped Action Comics because of Bendis; I'm on the fence about dropping Batgirl since I don't know if I'll like the new writer(s) replacing Hope Larson; I'm trying Immortal Men even though I don't like the writer because I want to see the new character Ghost Fist; the only DC title I'm still buying regularly these days is Scooby-Doo! Team-Up written by Sholly Fisch.

Out of curiosity, when did you start reading DC Comics on a regular basis?
    For a long time. Not sure why that matters, to be honest.
    Last edited by Raijin; 06-08-2018 at 01:32 PM.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

For a long time. Not sure why that matters, to be honest.
    "Long time" is a vague answer.
    In my case, regular reading began in 1972, though there have been a few gaps between then and now.
    Not sure when you started reading = don't know what you're comparing DC's current output to when you say
    . . . I think people who still complain will never be happy, since their personal needs or wants are being neglected. I say let them be bitter! They've been producing some of their best material in a while and are being consistent with it.

The only DC book I'm getting right now is Mister Miracle. Dropped Nightwing, hate the Titans and not intersted in anything else.
    Last edited by Rakiduam; 06-08-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    "Long time" is a vague answer.
    In my case, regular reading began in 1972, though there have been a few gaps between then and now.
    Not sure when you started reading = don't know what you're comparing DC's current output to when you say
    Mid to late 90s. I don't see the problem.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Eeeehhh... stories started out strong but kinda meander at the moment, I think because Johns who's supposed to establish some things was delayed, though Synder did put some hype back in with his new line and Williamson with Wally's memory.

Continuity-wise, it's worse than ever before because the time flux meaning some events happened, some not, they bring back previous continuities but no clear chronology. At least Tom King is having fun with this by having BatCat debating when they first met.

Yes.

I'm digging DC as much now as I ever have. There have been times when I liked things better in general but I would be lying if I said I wasn't really enjoying a lot of what I 'm reading and I wish I could buy and read even more.

Been reading DC ( and comics in general ) nonstop for my entire life. Probably learned to read on comics even.

Is this the best period ever? No. That would be the mid 70's to the mid 80's followed by a huge chunk of the 90's.

When I had to make the decision on what books to follow for my twilight years of collecting, it was a pretty easy choice to make. Especially in light of how much I have enjoyed a large chunk of DC's output for the last couple years.

So yeah....I think they are kicking @$$ pretty good right now.
    Batman - Daredevil

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    The only DC book I'm getting right now is Mister Miracle.
    Just about the same for me. I'm getting MM and Doomsday Clock, but the other books from DC I am/was getting have been cancelled or soon will be.

Is DC knocking it out of the park? For me personally, no. But the question isn't geared towards me alone. A couple of the new Vertigo titles look interesting but so did the some of the new age titles and I quickly lost interest in those. I'm certainly not going to trash a company for putting out books I have little or no interest in. I will bitch if there are books I want to read and the quality is lacking. This isn't the case.

If anything they are just fixing their past mistakes. So I can't say they are knocking it out of the park but I can say they are doing a heck of a lot better.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.