View Poll Results: Is DC knocking it out of the park right now?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

45 34.35%
  • NO! DC sucks or disappointing right now!

19 14.50%
  • NOT SURE! But I'm feeling confident about the current direction!

40 30.53%
  • NOT SURE! But I'm feeling skeptical about the current direction!

27 20.61%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I don't think they're knocking it out of the park across the board, but there are very few (if any) eras where they actually do. There is usually some great stuff mixed with a lot of standard fare and outright crap.

Right now, they have King on Batman and Mr. Miracle (which I am trade waiting, but have heard nothing but great things about), Bendis is doing surprisingly well on Superman so far after a boring couple years for that character in Rebirth, Snyder's Justice League #1 was very good and I am eager for more, what little I read of Doomsday Clock was the best work Johns has put out in years so I will be keeping tabs on that and getting the trade when it comes out, and their various imprints are great: it's a shame Young Animal is going on hiatus but I love that they tried it, The Wild Storm is great, and I'm eager to see the Black Label and others. And Morrison being rumored to come on board Green Lantern is fantastic as well. I feel like they have some great books/have some great ones in the pipe, and a lot of solid/standard fare ones but nothing completely bad aside from the Titans and Robinson on Wonder Woman, though thankfully the latter will be leaving soon.

The continuity/timeline is a nightmare, but it's been once since the first Crisis. They are beyond the point where they could satisfactorily fix that. Just tell good stories that work first and foremost in their own context, and get the broad strokes right, and we should be good.

Mighty Member

I'd say yes. I love that DC is composed of many, many imprints, and they're growing. There is alway room for improvement, but I like the state of DC now. I just wish they would keep Young Animal.

In my original post, I said, "Now, since this is DiDio we're talking about, things could all go to hell in a nanosecond, but I think, for right now, things are looking pretty rosy."

Given the events of the recent Batman 50, has that nanosecond arrived?

The reason I quoted my DiDio comment is because I do think a lot of the Batman 50 debacle falls on his shoulders because he's the one that likes to do tie-in specials to major storylines and events. I think people are more upset than they normally would be by a comic book fakeout because of the weeks of "Prelude to the Wedding" specials that people have been buying plus the hype/publicity machine was in overdrive for this.

It's been a few weeks since people responded to this thread, so I was wondering if recent events make you want to change your vote negatively.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    In my original post, I said, "Now, since this is DiDio we're talking about, things could all go to hell in a nanosecond, but I think, for right now, things are looking pretty rosy."

Given the events of the recent Batman 50, has that nanosecond arrived?

The reason I quoted my DiDio comment is because I do think a lot of the Batman 50 debacle falls on his shoulders because he's the one that likes to do tie-in specials to major storylines and events. I think people are more upset than they normally would be by a comic book fakeout because of the weeks of "Prelude to the Wedding" specials that people have been buying plus the hype/publicity machine was in overdrive for this.

It's been a few weeks since people responded to this thread, so I was wondering if recent events make you want to change your vote negatively.
    And since there haven't been any further responses after you posted the above nearly a week ago, I'm guessing the answer to your question is basically "nah, not really"?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Nope! I am a long time DC fan and while this is certainly better than the New 52, things are still not great. I am currently pulling two titles and it’s pretty much been that way since the start, even though I gave many titles a chance.
    Factor in that Doomsday Clock is holding favored characters hostage with a ridiculous release schedule and my feelings are pretty much back to where they were with the New 52.

anything was better than the New 52. Where did they come up witht hat idea?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't think they're knocking it out of the park across the board, but there are very few (if any) eras where they actually do. There is usually some great stuff mixed with a lot of standard fare and outright crap.

Right now, they have King on Batman and Mr. Miracle (which I am trade waiting,
    go get it. The serial aspect of reading is a key part of the enjoyment

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Actually, you have more people choosing one of the "NOT SURE" options (53 total at the moment) than the 32 people (currently) that voted straight-up "Yes!"

I'm not sure that even qualifies as an "inside-the-park home run" yet.
    Yes, well now you have the definitive "yes" vote winning all by itself.

So that vote, combined with the other positive unsure vote pretty much tells the story.
    WHO DAT?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Vell View Post
    Yes, well now you have the definitive "yes" vote winning all by itself.

So that vote, combined with the other positive unsure vote pretty much tells the story.
    Unfortunately, we don't know if any of those votes would have changed during the past month since once you vote, that's locked-in permanently.
    (Not saying it would make any difference, but we just don't know . . . )

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    go get it. The serial aspect of reading is a key part of the enjoyment
    Unfortunately, my budget only allows for so many ongoings at a time. And I've found King always reads better in trade. It's certainly the case for his Batman run.

Unfortunately, we don't know if any of those votes would have changed during the past month since once you vote, that's locked-in permanently.
    (Not saying it would make any difference, but we just don't know . . . )
    True, but the point is that that the overall opinion is that DC is putting out a really good product right now, and most people are very happy about it.
    WHO DAT?!!

I've been satisfied. Not everything at DC is great of course. It never is. But there's a lot of stuff I'm enjoying, stuff coming up I'm very excited about, and I'm reading more DC now than I have in recent years.

The Batman 50 thing doesn't bother me and hasn't changed my opinion since I voted here however many weeks ago. I didn't really think the wedding was going to happen and while I'm sad DC didn't have the guts to pull the trigger, I'm not surprised by it either.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

My favorite characters are: original Titans, Kyle Rayner & Guy Gardner, Young Justice (Tim,Kon,Bart,Cassie), Huntress (Helena) & Stephanie Brown.
    It's the first time in 30 years that i'm buying less than 5 DC titles, and i'm a DC guy never buyed a Marvel book.
    Last edited by failo.legendkiller; 07-16-2018 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    My favorite characters are: original Titans, Kyle Rayner & Guy Gardner, Young Justice (Tim,Kon,Bart,Cassie), Huntress (Helena) & Stephanie Brown.
    For Huntress, which "Helena"?
    Aside from the Golden Age original character (and her Silver/Bronze Age version on Earth-1), "Huntress" has been "Helena" before CoIE (Helena Wayne) and after that (Helena Bertinelli).

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

For Huntress, which "Helena"?
    Aside from the Golden Age original character (and her Silver/Bronze Age version on Earth-1), "Huntress" has been "Helena" before CoIE (Helena Wayne) and after that (Helena Bertinelli).
    Bertinelli of course! I had written the entire name and then I deleted the only essential part

Extraordinary Member

I was reading Titans before most of the original characters were shipped off. It still wasn't my Titans because Donna and Garth just aren't written like themselves anymore. And poor Wally - talk about a complete destruction of one of the best heroes DC has ever had.

But honestly, between 52, Flashpoint, and Rebirth, I don't think even DC creators are sure what the history is with most of their characters. It's like being in 50 feet of water and trying to somehow touch the ground. There is just nothing to anchor on to anymore. "Let's just keep re-writing every character every 5 years and hope people will find something they like and keep buying the product."