View Poll Results: Is DC knocking it out of the park right now?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

45 34.35%
  • NO! DC sucks or disappointing right now!

19 14.50%
  • NOT SURE! But I'm feeling confident about the current direction!

40 30.53%
  • NOT SURE! But I'm feeling skeptical about the current direction!

27 20.61%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I think DC is very disappointing right now.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Considering my pull consists of Batman and Mister Miracle, no. Definitely not. Johns’ silver age fetish has only gotten increasingly more insufferable.

Black Label, Vertigo, and the Bendis books look great though, so maybe things are turning around.

I don't know about knocking it out the park. They're doing enough good things to get someone like me who hasn't read a comic in over a year back to pulling a few titles and getting back into things. I've seen quite a few others like myself recently, that's always a positive. I haven't read them but the Justice and Metal and Watchmen stuff all seem to be pretty big and good. I guess I'll vote feeling confident about the direction.

Seems like they've got some good writers writing good stuff right now which is the name of the game. I've picked up Man of Steel by Bendis and it's living up to the hype. I'm loving Priest's Deathstroke. Flash is great. I've heard rumors of Morrison on GL and Azz on Suicide Squad soon. I doubt I read JL but Snyder will do everything he can to make it epic. Batman and Catwoman getting married is big news that will get attention from the masses. If they can keep that kind of pace, yeah, things should go good. It's all about good writers and good stories.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    "Long time" is a vague answer.
    In my case, regular reading began in 1972, though there have been a few gaps between then and now.
    Not sure when you started reading = don't know what you're comparing DC's current output to when you say
    I was 3 in 1972 and that's about when I started reading too. You're down to one comic and I'm pulling more DC than ever. It doesn't matter how long one's been a fan. It's a difference of opinion about current material. And there's always some bitterness in comic fandom that things aren't the way they used to be.

Incredible Member

They’ve got some good stuff out right now. The Green Lanterns books (both of them) are good, Action and Superman are good, Red Hood is killing it, Detective is solid, Green Arrow, Super Sons and New Superman were great but got cancelled. I wasn’t a huge fan of Metal and No Justice and I absolutely LOATHE Tom King on Batman but I’d say, for the most part, DC is doing pretty good right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Considering my pull consists of Batman and Mister Miracle, no. Definitely not. Johns’ silver age fetish has only gotten increasingly more insufferable.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with having a Silver Age fetish.

And I do believe DC is knocking it out of the park right now, especially with Justice League, Man of Steel, and the Dark Metal books.

I eagerly await each Wednesday with the enthusiasm of a kid.
    Last edited by Mar-Vell; 06-11-2018 at 07:38 AM.
    WHO DAT?!!

Well, my DC purchases have doubled from 2 to 4 titles but I'll be dropping one pretty soon(H & GLC).

I remember when I wasn't buying any after buying at least 10+ titles in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Vell View Post
    Absolutely nothing wrong with having a Silver Age fetish.
    Tell that to Nora Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Tell that to Nora Allen.
    Good point.
    WHO DAT?!!

I'm still not embracing the New 52/Rebirth Universe and as far as "knocking it outta the park", I wish that was the case with the movies.

What I like about DC right now is that, mild experiments aside, virtually all of their core characters are recognizable. It feels like a DC universe that new and old fans alike can get into. Whether you're a Pre-Crisis fan, or a new reader who only ever watched the Timm animated universe, it seems to me that you can get into this current status quo with minimal effort.

Contrast that to Marvel, which is still almost unrecognizable and doesn't "feel" like Marvel to me, even after their rather lame attempt to copy DC's Rebirth.

Quote Originally Posted by KingsLeadHat View Post
    What I like about DC right now is that, mild experiments aside, virtually all of their core characters are recognizable. It feels like a DC universe that new and old fans alike can get into. Whether you're a Pre-Crisis fan, or a new reader who only ever watched the Timm animated universe, it seems to me that you can get into this current status quo with minimal effort.

Contrast that to Marvel, which is still almost unrecognizable and doesn't "feel" like Marvel to me, even after their rather lame attempt to copy DC's Rebirth.
    I couldn't have said it better myself!
    WHO DAT?!!

To answer the title question ...no
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

BANNED

Am I happy with the state of the DCU right now? Nope. Things are improving in certain areas, but for the most part, the characters I care about either aren't around in any form or aren't in the positions I'd most like them to be in, to say nothing of the fustercluck that is the timeline right now and the slight possibility that the garbage future presented in Doomsday Clock will actually become the status quo.

Am I happy with DC's books right now? Just talking about DC's main line (there's plenty of interesting stuff on the way from Sandman and Vertigo), things still aren't as bad as during the Nu52, but they're definitely not knocking it out of the park for me. By the time September rolls around, Justice League Odyssey is the only book I'll definitely be reading. I may be reading more if Outsiders starts that month, Green Lanterns continues on with a new writer and/or Cass starts appearing in Batgirl, but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by KingsLeadHat View Post

QFT. And the history/relationships between the characters, which was devastated by New 52, are coming back too. I'm reading so much DC lately because they've gone back to writing about the characters and history I love.