View Poll Results: Is DC knocking it out of the park right now?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

45 34.35%
  • NO! DC sucks or disappointing right now!

19 14.50%
  • NOT SURE! But I'm feeling confident about the current direction!

40 30.53%
  • NOT SURE! But I'm feeling skeptical about the current direction!

27 20.61%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Doomsday Clock, Snyder's Justice League, King's Batman and Mister Miracle, the upcoming New Justice titles, Flash War, #1's for Hawkman (already well reviewed) and Plastic Man (Gail Simone!) next week...

And that's only the stuff I'm most excited about. After a real bummer of a run with New 52 I would say that DC is indeed knocking it out of the park now. It's been darn hard on my wallet. I've never bought so many DC comics as I am lately.

Voted for "Not sure, but feeling optimistic."

I've been around the block a few times. I've seen DC start off really well and then fumble the ball so often I wonder why I'm still a fan. I've seen them sabotage themselves far too often to have any kind of pure optimism about almost anything they do. And the people in charge are largely the same people who drove the company in the dirt during the 00's and early '10's.

But Mister Miracle is probably the best thing going from either of the Big 2 right now. Snyder's Justice League stuff has been a big, loud, dumb ride that I've really been enjoying (to my great surprise). Bendis is barely into his tenure on Superman but it's exceeded even my wildest expectations by miles (not that I expected a whole lot to begin with, but still). Deathstroke (which I trade wait so I'm always behind) has been superb. Detective just finished a strong run with Tynion (far from perfect, but good enough I never missed an issue). Harley Quinn survived the creative switch from Palometti like a champ. Flash, Batman, Aquaman, Supergirl, and Arrow, all of which I trade wait, have been anywhere from "solid" to "quite good."

Black Lightning recently had a mini that I really enjoyed. Doomsday Clock, on the rare occasion it actually comes out, has been amazingly well done. I never would've expected that kind of story telling, or that caliber of story telling, from Johns.

The Young Animal stuff is a critical darling (I need to start grabbing trades). The WildStorm imprint (again, I trade wait) is damn smart work. The New Age titles I've read (Terrifics, Sideways, Immortal Men, and soon the Unexpected once I make it to my LCS) have all been damn solid and very entertaining. And while the newest imprints like Black Label, Ink, and Zoom haven't launched yet the fact that they're even happening fills me with joy because it actually looks like good business. Doyle on the new Vertigo sounds very promising.

There's plenty wrong with DC right now. There always is. But there's a lot going right too. So right now, in this moment, I'm satisfied.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-08-2018 at 05:09 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'm a bit behind in regular comics, but I think they are doing fine.

That Vertigo lineup though >>>>>

On a 'book-by-book' basis, they seem to be doing a bit better. But still too early to say, as all we have is a couple first issues and a lot of hype right now.
    Which would place us at a similar position as the first week of New52. Looks promising. Lots of hype.
    But nothing concrete, yet.

I think they've made some good decisions lately:
    The new League line-up
    The two supplementary JL titles
    Bringing back a focus to the Daily Planet, and in essence real people as supporting characters
    Sandman Universe
    New Age of Heroes for bringing in some 'this generation' heroes
    Young Animal

But a few headscratchers, too:
    The Vertigo relaunch
    New Age of Heroes for possibly being too much at one time
    Young Animal being relaunched, giving jumping off points for people who were already reading and not being different enough to pull in new readers to replace them
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Currently im indifferent but highly optimistic in the future
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I think D C is a mess and see no signs of it getting cleaned up any time soon,
    But compared to Marvel........... they is neat and tidy and there future Jim Dandy.

No vote.

Rebirth started out great but has taken a downhill turn. They’ve destroyed my favorite book Titans, Super Sons & Jon m.i.a., disapointing/cancelled runs on Batwoman and Birds of Prey, Aquaman going into year 3 of a never-ending arc and still no Legion, JSA, or Shazam.

New Justice League looks promising, but that’s about it right now.

Extraordinary Member

The quality of the stories are MUCH better than they were during the New 52, no question about that. Like, head and shoulders above the New 52 in terms of writing and overall direction. Continuity itself still a bit of a jumble, as we have writers contradicting other writers and different incarnations of characters appearing in books set in the same continuity. But, again, WAAAAAAAY better than the state of continuity of the New 52. And I get the anger over the Legion and the JSA still MIA, but I'm okay with it only because I know they're probably building up to something really big with those characters. Also, I think all continuity flubs and the things we want to be back in canon but still aren't yet will probably be the once Doomsday Clock wraps up.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 06-09-2018 at 09:03 AM.

Spectacular Member

I’m trying to decrease my pull list and trade wait more. Plus I trade-waited Metal and No Justice and a lot of titles seem to be spinning out of that so I like the consistency. But so far with upcoming stuff, i’m interested in Catwoman, Plastic Man, Tom King’s Sanctuary, the 3 Justice League titles, at least 2 of the New Age of DC Heroes titles, Neil Gaiman’s Sandman Universe line, at least 2 of the Vertigo relaunch titles, and at least 2 of the Black Label titles. That’s a lot more titles that interest me than with Rebirth so I’m pretty happy.

I’m sad to lose Tomasi’s Superman and Super Sons though, even if the latter’s getting a maxi. And the end of the Young Animal line is a shame, though it was a pop-up imprint and could always come back.
    Last edited by nickytesla96; 06-08-2018 at 11:18 PM.
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

It's so-so for me. Chose the 3rd option.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Just about the same for me. I'm getting MM and Doomsday Clock, but the other books from DC I am/was getting have been cancelled or soon will be.

Is DC knocking it out of the park?
    For me personally, no. But the question isn't geared towards me alone. A couple of the new Vertigo titles look interesting but so did the some of the new age titles and I quickly lost interest in those. I'm certainly not going to trash a company for putting out books I have little or no interest in. I will bitch if there are books I want to read and the quality is lacking. This isn't the case.
    Every time I reread an issue of The Wild Storm, the idea that the mainstream DC line is "Knocking It Out Of The Park..." gets even more laughable.

Invincible Member

Yeah, some of their titles are really good and some are considerably less so. I'm also sorta afraid they might be catching "Marvel-itus" with their events and flooding the market with certain characters and renumbering. They haven't completely caught the bug but they've got the sniffles.

And while I'm pretty excited for some of the things that are coming out or that have been announced, I'm not so sure about them "knocking it out of the park" though. I see that kind of talk largely from people who are disgruntled Marvel fans.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    . . . And while I'm pretty excited for some of the things that are coming out or that have been announced, I'm not so sure about them "knocking it out of the park" though. I see that kind of talk largely from people who are disgruntled Marvel fans.
    Maybe it's a very small park?

Extraordinary Member

I'll be honest, the new JL book and Bendis' Man of Steel were both far better than I thought they were going to be. And now that I know Super Sons will for sure be returning, I'm a bit more optimistic than I was just a few weeks ago when literally the only books I picked up at all were Batman and Super Sons (Marvel is still leading in the ongoing category, though, by 5-3).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    If anything they are just fixing their past mistakes. So I can't say they are knocking it out of the park but I can say they are doing a heck of a lot better.
    This for me. Doomsday Clock, Bendis, Flash War, Snyder on JL, and Priest continuing on Deathstroke is all positive. But we've waited a while to get to this new track an there are still holes to be fixed.