Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Interesting, a good many people feel that jean is being written well and in character. Care to elaborate on your opinion?
    I’ve been talking about it in the Jean Appreciation Thread, but my main point is that compared to Jean of old, Red writes her as kind of dumb, vindictive, and obnoxious. Jean used to be all about Charles Xavier’s dream. Jean in Red pretty much says his dream is dead and proposes a moronic mutant nation, which is more Erik than Charles. More segregation than living in peace. She also freaks out on the guy that throws a hotdog and acts pompous and obnoxious. Jean used to lose her temper sometimes, but she understood that there are people who are ignorant and bigoted, but it isn’t the answer to face them head on or intimidate them. Rather, show that mutants aren’t the monsters they think they are.

Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Not in good shape, but hopefully will improve. There's a sense of mishandling and aimlessness with nearly all of the books I've flipped through.
    And that's why i stick with OML, is just classic Wolverine with gray hair, simple but it works for me .

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I’ve been talking about it in the Jean Appreciation Thread, but my main point is that compared to Jean of old, Red writes her as kind of dumb, vindictive, and obnoxious. Jean used to be all about Charles Xavier’s dream. Jean in Red pretty much says his dream is dead and proposes a moronic mutant nation, which is more Erik than Charles. More segregation than living in peace. She also freaks out on the guy that throws a hotdog and acts pompous and obnoxious. Jean used to lose her temper sometimes, but she understood that there are people who are ignorant and bigoted, but it isn’t the answer to face them head on or intimidate them. Rather, show that mutants aren’t the monsters they think they are.

To be fair, i think that Xavier dreams die after Whedon and Deadly Genesis.

I do agree the hot dog part was a miss.

I am not seeing the current jean as vindictive. And I feel like her use of peaceful resolutions as much as possible so far is more in line with Xavier.

Also I avoid the jean thread now because people were posting too many dark Phoenix spoilers/info for my taste.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Spectacular Member The Mary Janes's Avatar

Dude, that art for the Annual is so fucking ugly, lmfao. She looks like melting wax. She's not lean or slender at all like she's supposed to be. It's worse than Asrar drawing her with a square head, looking like Sophie Turner.
    Patiently waiting for X-Books to be rebooted later this year

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    To be fair, i think that Xavier dreams die after Whedon and Deadly Genesis.
    The X-Men have certainly acted that way with Cyclops pretty much becoming Magneto lite. IMO, Morrison messed up a lot of the characterizations, but I think it would have been much better if Jean’s return would have signaled a return to the X-Men’s original mission.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

I only buy Old Man Logan and Weapon X, like OML, hate WX most of the time.
    Had to power through the last few issues of ANW..
    On and off with the majority of X-Books.

The annual left a lot to be desired, that park scene being particularly poor. As for the "mutant nation", there are those who don't think it means a literal geographical nation, but something more ambiguous, which is just silly to me. I think the nature of it is irrelevant, you're right when you say that the idea is more Erik than Charles.
    Last edited by Hizashi; 06-08-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Astonishing Member

The X-Men have certainly acted that way with Cyclops pretty much becoming Magneto lite. IMO, Morrison messed up a lot of the characterizations, but I think it would have been much better if Jean’s return would have signaled a return to the X-Men’s original mission.
    the best mutants, who represent the original mission of the xmen, would be those like Sabra or Pete Wisdom or Usa Major, who are fully integrated to their countries, work for their countries, and are Israeli, British, Russian first, and their mutant identity is less important than their national identity.
    I don't like the idea of mutant nation, and I don't think Cyclops was ever about that.
    Utopia was a fortress that had most of the surviving mutants, around 200. Not a nation (even though we had a great mini called Nation X)

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    the best mutants, who represent the original mission of the xmen, would be those like Sabra or Pete Wisdom or Usa Major, who are fully integrated to their countries, work for their countries, and are Israeli, British, Russian first, and their mutant identity is less important than their national identity.
    I don't like the idea of mutant nation, and I don't think Cyclops was ever about that.
    Utopia was a fortress that had most of the surviving mutants, around 200. Not a nation (even though we had a great mini called Nation X)
    Absolutely agreed. Cyclops' actions are so easily reduced or misunderstood.

Current Cable arc and Red are all I’m reading. Everything else is unreadable to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I love Deadpool, bur how that became popular (not an insult just curious).
    Good writing.

I think I could find SOMETHING positive to say about all the books I've read or am reading.

My favorites have been X-Men Red, ANW, Rogue & Gambit, GenerationX, and New Mutants.

AXM and Gold have high points certainly, but there are some things about them I struggle with. I really want to like them better!

I haven't read enough Blue or the other books and solos to really give a really solid opinion. I'm really ready for the O5 to go though.

I'm not entirely sure it hasn't. It seems to be (and these are early days yet) that Jean has moved into the position of an Xavier-like figure -- a modernized rendition of it. I wonder if part of her story progression going forward will be seeing how the choices she makes differ from those that Xavier made. The scenario in the last issue is a case in point. Kurt is there to keep her honest, as Cyclops was for Xavier in many respects in the past. Her team has a selection from all eras, so it can't be categorized as a nostalgia fest, nor does it fall into young future cannon fodder. It's unique.

On topic, Red is really the only book I'm enjoying, at the moment. I find Gold to be tedious and poorly written (a strong cast with piss poor execution). Blue doesn't interest me, nor do any of the current satellite books.

BANNED

Scott didn't become Magneto lite. C'mon!
    And Jean is doing the same as Scott, including using kids as a soldier, like Xavier always did.
    She's acting like a terrorist. In other words, like the X-Men always did.
    You know, I look forward to a new mutant genocide, the destruction of Utopia 2.0 and mass murders, to see what happens, to see what she will do.

So, do you know who's worse than Magneto? Beast and Xavier.

And Xavier is a farce. Xavier is a murderer, a mind manipulator, a liar, a slaver... and even death didn't make him better. Poor Fantomex.
    Scott was right.

Also, current Cable arc is all I'm reading, and I really like it.
    Last edited by CuteClops; 06-08-2018 at 05:16 PM.