Default Favorite example of Spidey fighting other hero's villains

What's everyone's favorite instance of Spider-man fighting someone outside his usual rogues gallery?

One of my favorites is the Mr. Hyde battle in Amazing Spider-Man #232. Classic example of Spider-man taking on a physically superior foe using of his wits, speed, and banter to keep the baddie off guard.

The one that immediately comes to mind is "Nothing can stop the Juggernaut". He was an ant compared to Juggs, but he didn't back down regardless. Incredible story.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

I really liked the Spider-Man/Bullseye fight in Slott and JRJR's New Ways to Die.

Amazing Spider-Man #5
    Spider-Man vs. Dr. Doom!

I should have thought of Spidey vs Doom in ASM 005, that is one of my favorite issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace of Mysterio View Post
    What's everyone's favorite instance of Spider-man fighting someone outside his usual rogues gallery?

One of my favorites is the Mr. Hyde battle in Amazing Spider-Man #232. Classic example of Spider-man taking on a physically superior foe using of his wits, speed, and banter to keep the baddie off guard.
    This is the one that instantly jumped to mine. The punch to the top of Hyde's head and not long after that seeing the big guy tossed a distance and fall to lose consciousness is a classic.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

The Stern/ Romita run has some of the best examples. I'll second the votes for the Juggernaut, and Cobra/ Hyde stories.

Boomerang started off as a Hulk villain, and popped up as an enemy in Marvel Team Up #82-85, which also provided the payoff to a long-running plot involving the Silver Samurai.

The blog Superior Spidertalk had a top ten in this category.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member

I was also gonna say the Juggernaut and Hyde!

Incredible Member

Spider-Man vs Stilt Man, Amazing Spider-Man #237.

Wilbur Day, the Stilt Man, was once a villainous face of prominence against Daredevil and others during the sixties and seventies. By the time of that story, 1983, the opening page literally opened wth him crying "No One Takes Stilt Man Seriously Any More!" This tale was his attempt to get out there once again, and restore some of his criminal rep, let alone his self-dignity, by upgrading his suit, and defeating the one foe he once successfully defeated before: Spider-Man.

Also just as loved many of the Spider-Man versus Trapster battles; from the time Spidey laughed at "Paste Pot Pete"; to facing off against the Frightful Four; to becoming Captain Universe; to clearing up his name on Joey Z's murder.
    Last edited by ngroove; 06-12-2018 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turlast View Post
    The one that immediately comes to mind is "Nothing can stop the Juggernaut". He was an ant compared to Juggs, but he didn't back down regardless. Incredible story.
    Definitley the first one I thought of too. Such a great story!

Incredible Member

And, how about some fun Untold Tales Of Spider-Man? Old-tyme Marvel fashion of Spidey's encounters against the wild n' wooly likes of Wizard, Scarecrow, Eel, Black Knight, Radioactive Man, even the Scarlet Beetle? Truly got me exposed to the wider Marvel Universe when I was a kid reading them.
    Last edited by ngroove; 06-13-2018 at 06:41 PM.

Another good one: Spider-Man vs. Nitro (Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #55. Once again, Spidey goes up against a villain who out does him power-wise, so he has to get creative and use his intelligence to triumph.

Untold was a great book. The climax of the Scarecrow encounter is a classic, with Spidey tricking Scarecrow into snapping one of Spidey's web cartridges, resulting in a very webbed up baddie.

Astonishing Member

The Acts of Vengeance (A Avengers event from the early 90s) had pretty much that premesis.
    I thought the Spider-Man stories that crossovered with the event were quite interesting,the power boost of the cosmic powers that Spider-Man got made it possible to have Spider-Man against Magneto and Graviton.Was interesting to see Spidey facing villains way above his power level.
    Juggernaut as mentioned from the Roger Stern stories is another great example.