Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Dick still comes off as a little kid running to daddy so he can get his approval. I usually like Abnett as a writer, but he just does not get the Titans. He seems stuck on thinking they are just 15 or 16 year old rookie kids playing hero instead of grown 20 something men and women who have been doing this for quite a while. His last run was just garbage and I just am not going to read him continue to trash characters l like.

Haha, this is going to be just as bad as all of Abnett's Titans work. This whole "metahuman" problem is irrelevant in Metal and irrelevant in the JL but we are supposed to think it is some super important mission that Nightwing must do? It doesn't really work. It basically feels like busywork because DC doesn't know what else to do with these characters. Also we get to see Dick's shitty New 52 Robin costume again just to top it off!

At the end of the day everything in this preview is undercut by Abnett's previous work on the Titans. Dick already caved and acted spineless to Batman and the JL and nothing he does will make up for that no matter how much Dick tries to pump out his chest to "show" the JL. It all falls flat and the JL could care less so no one really believes any of Dick's bolstering. It comes off as a kid throwing a tantrum, especially when they continue to bring up how Dick "failed" for some reason. It all comes off as so pathetic. This especially doesn't work when he is still reporting to the JL, living under the JL's roof, and continue to get talked down to by the JL and Batman.

If they want to do the X-Men concept correctly while having Dick's team work under the JL then they needed to have Dick and his team become full JL members. It doesn't work having them take orders from the JL, live in the JL house and report to the JL when also trying to act independently. If they want to fold the Titans into the JL then they needed to have Dick and his team becomes JL members and be looked at as full JL members. This way Batman and JL actually have some authority over Dick because he is a part of their greater JL team instead of Dick being on his own where he shouldn't give a **** what the JL thinks. Then have their main job in the JL be to guide and train the younger generation while still operating as JL members too, but they will never do that. So we get this hacked up version of a Titans team that has no spine.
    Last edited by Badou; 06-09-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

So, that list:

Row 1: Frankenstein, Damage (?), ???, Aztek

Row 2: Etrigan, ???, Blue Devil, Booster Gold, Tanya Spears.

Row 3: ???, Amethys, Atom (Ryan Choi), Vibe, ???

Row 4: Batwoman, Ambush Bug, Azrael, Black Orchid, Clayface, ???

Row 5: Animal Man
    I think that might be Deadman next to possible Damage.

Looks like Rampage next to Etrigan.

Alpha Centurion before Amethyst

I think the one next to Ryan is Black Lightning though. And it looks like Ray Terrill at the end of that row.

Oddly that looks like one of the designs of Power Ring next to Clayface.

Brutal stuff. Does Abnett think Dick still lives with Batman i wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Dick still comes off as a little kid running to daddy so he can get his approval. I usually like Abnett as a writer, but he just does not get the Titans. He seems stuck on thinking they are just 15 or 16 year old rookie kids playing hero instead of grown 20 something men and women who have been doing this for quite a while. His last run was just garbage and I just am not going to read him continue to trash characters l like.
    To be fair, it is hard to be anything else than a "Justice League-lite" when you're mostly comprised of former sidekicks and, worse, when the NTT-era of young buddies has come to define the Titans so much. They suffer from being the "Justice League but not quite" while writers tries to paint them more like college buddies enjoying pizza-evening over well trained heroes. That's always been my problem with the adult Titans : they'd better formally join the League and at time remplace their mentors in it over forming an also-ran team.

I’m guessing the “Wow, him?” was in response to Ambush Bug making their list.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I forgot to add that the reason Dick even went to the League is to share about how he failed saving the woman, which is based on the idea that he doesn't recognize a woman scared of her own power, that I already provided the reason why it doesn't make sense.

Even if I accept that, he still can easily talk to his old Titans or Bruce about it.

It's also weird that he asked the League for help in the form of an empath or telepath, but when the League provided help, he revealed he already has a list he made himself, and then saying that he only wanted to share his plan.

So forget what I said they got one right because once viewed as a whole, the whole set up hinges on Dick making decisions that don't make sense!
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 06-09-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krivus View Post
    So, Dick did not realize that the girl was scared until the train ran over her? And he even need an empath to realize?
    Yeah, that was a pretty bad showing for Dick.
    Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    I think that might be Deadman next to possible Damage.

Looks like Rampage next to Etrigan.

Alpha Centurion before Amethyst

I think the one next to Ryan is Black Lightning though. And it looks like Ray Terrill at the end of that row.

Oddly that looks like one of the designs of Power Ring next to Clayface.
    Oh yeah, that does look more like Black Lightning's goggles.

Dick literally just chased a scared, innocent woman into an oncoming train and the Justice League thinks he is leader material? WHAT

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, that was a pretty bad showing for Dick.
    Quote Originally Posted by invincibledeez View Post
    Dick literally just chased a scared, innocent woman into an oncoming train and the Justice League thinks he is leader material? WHAT
    LoL, Par for the course under Abnett.

Im still wonder what he’s even doing in Gotham’s subway, and why hes doing his reasearch in the Bat cave.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-09-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Disappointed that Wally and the others seem not to be on the new team, but I’m very interested in how they’re going to treat Miss Martian. Hoping her origin somewhat mirrors the one in YJ. Also happy to see Raven with the older generation of Titans.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Im still wonder what he’s even doing in Gotham’s subway, and why hes doing his reasearch in the Bat cave.
    Does Abnett even know what Blüdhaven is? He probably thinks that Nightwing is just another name for Robin.

Though to be fair, DC hasn't been helping with that stigma for a while.

That being said, I think you guys are overreacting to this preview based on established expectations because its really not all that bad.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Does Abnett even know what Blüdhaven is? He probably thinks that Nightwing is just another name for Robin.

Though to be fair, DC hasn't been helping with that stigma for a while.

That being said, I think you guys are overreacting to this preview based on established expectations because its really not all that bad.

I do not think it's bad, but Dick acts so OC that it hurts. Although I'm intrigued about why he formed his team with members of Damien's team.

Mighty Member

Not seeing the complaints, to be honest.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K