Thread: Sword Daughter

Default Sword Daughter

Did anyone else pick up the first issue? I had been looking forward to this since it was announced and I wasn't disappointed! Granted I may be a little biased; I was a big fan of Wood's previous Viking stories. Black Road was good and Northlanders is what got me seriously interested in comics after previously only reading superhero stuff.

I really appreciated how this comic was put together. The nicer cover and the extended page count made it a more leisurely read. Most of the issue is setup for the plot, but the visuals were engrossing enough that I didn't mind.

More later.
    Pull List: Conan the Barbarian

Incredible Member

I did! - but my copy hasnt arrived yet

Awesome, I hope you enjoy it!

Incredible Member

I shall report back when it arrives - i did enjoy the bits of northlanders i read in trade so im sure this will be good too.

Is it an ongoing? Is it only first issue thats 28 pages or is it every issue? I couldnt find out exactly what it is (i didnt look to hard tho...)

As far as I know it's an ongoing and every issue will have the extended page count. Once I get home I'll try to find a link to confirm.

Decent first issue. If you like Black Road or Northlanders then you’ll like this. Artwork and pacing here reminds of a webcomic. I’m turned off by the pricing here though at $5, though it does have an extended page count: 27 pages story here but not a long read. First collection appears to be a 96 page hardcover out in October and priced at $20 which is extremely inflated.

I was in Kansas City, MO last week for the HearNow Festival. I had some time to kill and decided to visit the nearest shop, Clint's Comics. Not only is it one of the oldest comic book shops in the country, but I found the Charter variant cover for Sword Daughter#1! I was excited as my shop doesnt usually have enough demand for non superhero series to order enough copies to get those types of variants.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

The daughter's speech was about the only fault I have with the book so far. The pictographs are a great visual cue that because she basically grew up feral her communication skills are not standard, but on the other hand no one seems to have any difficulty what so ever in understanding her so it presents a large disconnect. Still, I love Wood and I'm excited for more Viking mayhem.

I think we may see people having some trouble understanding Elsbeth as she begins to meet people she hasn't been around her whole life.

Incredible Member

Pretty pricey but it looks gorgeous. Im a sucker for that kind of art style and my pull list is small at minute so im in for this - has potential to be very good

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I had a little trouble with Dad 'sitting, asleep' for ten years... but I suppose that's sort of an exaggerated description of someone in a coma, or emotional withdrawl. And, overall, it was kind of a slow introduction. Not a big Vikings fan, but I like/d Wood's Rebels (and wish he'd do more in that era) and am willing to follow this one for a while.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Incredible Member

the dad asleep thing does set up a very good and realistic dynamic between father and daughter and a motive for why she could kill herself - rage for her dad not being there for her.

i'm guessing the way she speaks is because she was basically feral with very little adult supervision - so her speech / language is very different - i thought speaking in pictograms was pretty clever solution to that problem.

not much dialogue but i felt a lot did happen - we set up the revenge story, we got an origin for dad and daughter, we got the dynamic between the two, how and why she can kill, and the start of the mission - so on surface it seemed quite spartan but a lot of things happened, and it was so nice to look at i was in no hurry to turn the page.