Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Default Year One: Triumphs and Disappointments

So, with the announcement of Superman: Year One, I was thinking about the entire history of the Year One branding. Obviously, Batman: Year One is the most famous example of this branding, but there's a whole collection of stories that expanded the concept to other characters and even relationships. So, I was wondering what people's favorites were, and how people feel about the upcoming addition to the group.

Partially annotated list:

Batman: Year One - part of the regular Batman series, executed as part of the DC Universe relaunch after the first Crisis, not from the then current regular writing and art team.
    Guy Gardner: Year One
    JLA: Year One
    Robin: Year One - the first of Dixon and Beatty's series of Year One projects. This and the following volume focusing on Batgirl have very similar, clean, neo-retro art, showing the care being taken in crafting the tales. A limited prestige format series.
    Batgirl: Year One - Dixon and Beatty's first followup in the series, released as a 9-issue standalone miniseries of relatively normal length.
    Nightwing: Year One - the last of Dixon and Beatty's projects to be completed, though others were planned. It was, like Batman, part of the regular ongoing, but not by the then current regular writers, and had art by Dixon's longtime collaborator on his previous Nightwing run, Scott McDaniel.
    Batman/Scarecrow: Year One
    Batman/Ra's al Ghul: Year One
    Green Arrow: Year One
    Metamorpho: Year One
    Teen Titans: Year One
    Two-Face: Year One
    Huntress: Year One - oddly, this project was handed to a brand new comics writer, Ivory Madison, with art duties handled by verteran artist Cliff Richards. It was treated like a prestige miniseries and trade collection.
    Black Lightning: Year One
    Wonder Woman: Year One - a passion project by Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott. Likely the project that was originally going to be Wonder Woman: Earth One, that was a significant part of Rucka walking away from DC when they gave that project to Grant Morrison. Part of the regular ongoing series, but set apart by being part of the universe relaunch/retcon event Rebirth.

My favorite is definitely Batman: Year One, because it's so beautifully crafted. Everything about it clearly shows the skill of everyone involved. You could spill gallons of ink on it, but I'll simply say that Frank Miller, no matter what he does afterwards, made one of the most beautiful comics of all time, and he will always be important for that reason alone.
    Second would be Wonder Woman: Year One, since it unites my favorite writer and my favorite artist for Wonder Woman in a story that's incredibly beautiful and affecting (even though the ending feels a tiny bit too rushed, since a lot of the threads were carried over into the rest of the ongoing series). I think it's really a shame that it doesn't seem to get the respect and reputation of other Year One projects, since it's two creators at the top of their game doing what they've been planning for almost a decade.
    Third would definitely be Batgirl: Year One. It's definitely the most sheer fun of any of the Year One-branded stories I've read, though it doesn't hesitate to use the pathos of The Killing Joke and the seriousness of Babs' Oracle identity and the Birds of Prey (similar to the way Huntress: Year One would foreshadow Helena's later relationship with Barbara). The inventiveness and loveliness of the art and storytelling definitely lift this into the august company of the best Year One collections.

What do you all think?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

It's kind of interesting to think which prestiege heroes haven't gotten a major Year One story, like Aquaman and Flash.

For what it's worth I count Green Lantern: Secret Origins as a Year One story, more or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's kind of interesting to think which prestiege heroes haven't gotten a major Year One story, like Aquaman and Flash.

For what it's worth I count Green Lantern: Secret Origins as a Year One story, more or less.
    I mean, there's definitely a lot of origin stories that aren't branded as Year One - Superman: Birthright, pretty much anything called Secret Origins as you mention, the entire Year One Annual project from 1995, the bazillion Superman origin stories, the Earth One series. I was more looking at the ways DC has used the Year One brand to set it apart from other origin stories.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

BANNED

JLA: Year One is definitely my favorite. One of the best Justice League stories ever told and as a kid it was one of my favorite comics in general.

Of the others I've read:

Batman: Year One- Very, very good. It's not one of my absolute favorite Batman stories, but it is certainly the best thing Frank Miller has written.
    Guy Gardner:Year One- Another one of my favorites.
    Robin: Year One-Not bad.
    Batgirl: Year One- Pretty good, but very overrated.
    Nightwing: Year One- I can barely remember what this was about.
    Teen Titans: Year One- Heavily flawed, but I still really enjoy it.

JLA, Green Arrow, Wonder Woman are my favorites here. Black Lightning was quite solid as well, but not quite on the same level.

I have to confess....I've never read Batman Year One. >shame<

And I think I actually own it! >hides<
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    JLA: Year One is definitely my favorite. One of the best Justice League stories ever told and as a kid it was one of my favorite comics in general.

Of the others I've read:

Batman: Year One- Very, very good. It's not one of my absolute favorite Batman stories, but it is certainly the best thing Frank Miller has written.
    Guy Gardner:Year One- Another one of my favorites.
    Robin: Year One-Not bad.
    Batgirl: Year One- Pretty good, but very overrated.
    Teen Titans: Year One- Heavily flawed, but I still really enjoy it.
    Hmm. I'll have to think about JLA Year One. I just don't like the Justice League in general, so it's really hard to get me to read any JL story.

I would disagree, obviously, that Batgirl Year One is overrated - I think it's incredibly well constructed, and the art is so pretty. I really wish the artists for both Robin and Batgirl Year One got more regular work. (Of course, I also love Rick Burchett a lot, so... )

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    JLA, Green Arrow, Wonder Woman are my favorites here. Black Lightning was quite solid as well, but not quite on the same level.

I have to confess....I've never read Batman Year One. >shame<

And I think I actually own it! >hides<
    Go for it! It's worth it!

I need to read Green Arrow Year One, since Jock is a really great artist.

Don't forget all of DC's 1995 annuals did Year One stories and branded them as such.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Of the one listed by the OP, I've read a bunch of them but the only 2 I've held on to to become part of my permanent collection are the Miller/Mazzuchelli Batman Year One and the Diggle/Jock Green Arrow series in trade.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Don't forget all of DC's 1995 annuals did Year One stories and branded them as such.
    -M
    Yup! That was a major project! But I don't think any of those one-shots have lasted in fan's memories as the miniseries have. Do you have favorites - are the three shown the best in your evaluation?

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Yup! That was a major project! But I don't think any of those one-shots have lasted in fan's memories as the miniseries have. Do you have favorites - are the three shown the best in your evaluation?
    The Spectre annual stands out for me, but then the Ostrander run on that title is probably one of my top 5 runs of all time. I remember liking a lot of the annuals and I bought a lot even from series I wasn't otherwise picking up, but I sold off a lot of my individual issues when I moved halfway across the country 15 years ago and haven't revisited many of them since. I think Spectre and Hawkman might be the only 2 I still have filed away.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 03-11-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    The Spectre annual stands out for me, but then the Ostrander run on that title is probably one of my top 5 runs of all time. I remember liking a lot of the annuals and I bought a lot even from series I wasn't otherwise picking up, but I sold off a lot of my individual issues when I moved halfway across the country 15 years ago and haven't revisited many of them since. I think Spectre and Hawkman might the only 2 I still have filed away.

-M
    Cool! It's really a bummer that so many of the Annuals aren't digitized on Comixology. So much history is lost!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Talking those annuals, my top 3 would be Legion of Super Heroes, Flash and Azrael. That is, if you don't count Legionnaires. It had the Year One branding, but it wasn't a Year One story. If it does count, it's the best by a MILE, serving as the climax to one of the Legion's best stories.

My favourite year ones are Wonder Woman Year One (the definitive Wonder Woman origin I really was missing from my collection) and Green Arrow Year One (not necessarily my favourite take on what transpired during Ollies time on the island, but I've read/watched over half a dozen different versions of what happened there and this is one of the best for sure.)
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Batman Year One - Classic Batman story that really set the foundation for the modern Batman.
    Robin Year One - Okay story with some nice moments, but it doesn't rise above that and become something really memorable. Pairing it with Batigrl Year One helps it a little.
    Batgirl Year One - Greatest Batgirl story still. Nothing since has topped it. Amazing art, fun action, and shows how strong of a lead Barbara is.
    Nightwing Year One - Disappointing. Really pails in compares to even Robin Year One and I dislike that writers still use it as a reference for current stories.
    Titans Year One - Very dull and forgettable.
    Green Arrow Year One - Not the best Green Arrow story but I still liked the take on the character.

Those are the only ones I've read.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    It is not bad, but imo "Batman Adventures: The Lost Years" is the superior version of this story.