Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
Why? WHy is it that they aren't creating rich storylines anymore?
Who knows, man. Too many rehashings of the same old storylines. Too much decompression that turns what should be fast-paced, exciting action into slogs that to try and milk the TPB sales. Cheap wages and dragging things out means people don't bring their A-game much of the time.

It also seems like a lot of new people being brought into comics didn't grow up with comics or don't have much experience in comics or otherwise just don't have a good grasp on the medium. They are used to novel or television or video game writing. A lot of comics read like sitcom scripts, almost. A lot of indy comics, some of which can be good, don't get me wrong, but a lot of them feel like the writer had a script for a movie they couldn't sell, and decided to turn it into a comic instead. Or, and I know people will argue the merits of this, you have some people who are hired and put on books due to identity politics and PR gimmicks, before they've really shown they've got the chops to do comics.

Meanwhile, you've got the last generation of industry greats retiring, doing their own indy things, or moving on to other media.

I think the medium of comics has changed in demographics, both on the creators side and the marketing side and the reader side, and somewhere along the way, priorities and strategies shifted to the point we lost the formula that truly clicked.

I feel there's a certain era of comics that speaks the strongest to certain people, and it may not even be the era they grew up in. I can't read most of the Marvel or DC comics of the 60s and 70s, they feel stiff and dated. And the comics of today mostly feel like wastes of time. There's this window between 1980 through 2010 where I think that, despite the scourge of the edgy Dark Age, comics had found an equilibrium that served comic book storytelling best. Although I'm probably thinking of just some good titles around that era, and there was probably tons of crap being put out at that time as well.