Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    Why? WHy is it that they aren't creating rich storylines anymore?
    Who knows, man. Too many rehashings of the same old storylines. Too much decompression that turns what should be fast-paced, exciting action into slogs that to try and milk the TPB sales. Cheap wages and dragging things out means people don't bring their A-game much of the time.

It also seems like a lot of new people being brought into comics didn't grow up with comics or don't have much experience in comics or otherwise just don't have a good grasp on the medium. They are used to novel or television or video game writing. A lot of comics read like sitcom scripts, almost. A lot of indy comics, some of which can be good, don't get me wrong, but a lot of them feel like the writer had a script for a movie they couldn't sell, and decided to turn it into a comic instead. Or, and I know people will argue the merits of this, you have some people who are hired and put on books due to identity politics and PR gimmicks, before they've really shown they've got the chops to do comics.

Meanwhile, you've got the last generation of industry greats retiring, doing their own indy things, or moving on to other media.

I think the medium of comics has changed in demographics, both on the creators side and the marketing side and the reader side, and somewhere along the way, priorities and strategies shifted to the point we lost the formula that truly clicked.

I feel there's a certain era of comics that speaks the strongest to certain people, and it may not even be the era they grew up in. I can't read most of the Marvel or DC comics of the 60s and 70s, they feel stiff and dated. And the comics of today mostly feel like wastes of time. There's this window between 1980 through 2010 where I think that, despite the scourge of the edgy Dark Age, comics had found an equilibrium that served comic book storytelling best. Although I'm probably thinking of just some good titles around that era, and there was probably tons of crap being put out at that time as well.

> The Wild Storm

I have never read that, despite being a huge fan of Planetary
    Without going into it to the point of "Spoilers", I'd guess that elements of that title would appeal to fans of Planetary.

Here are some recent titles that I am enjoying:

Birthright
    Black Hammer
    Black Magick
    Damned
    Deadly Class
    Descender
    Lazarus
    Manifest Destiny
    Paper Girls
    Regression
    Seven to Eternity
    Southern Bastards
    Last edited by 4saken1; 06-11-2018 at 07:16 PM.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Astonishing Member

no that sounds interesting. Mark Waid is a weirdo, but great writer.
    Indeed.
    Mark Waid is a great writer,i like the Doctor Strange stories but not to the point of collecting all the Doctor Strange stories.But with Waid writing the new comic book i had to read it.And with just one issue i think the comic book will be a must read.
    I like how it have a mixture of being stories about a magician but in a Sci Fi tone,making Doctor Strange a interesting read.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    Here are some recent titles that I am enjoying:

Birthright
    Black Hammer
    Black Magick
    Damned
    Deadly Class
    Descender
    Lazarus
    Manifest Destiny
    Paper Girls
    Regression
    Seven to Eternity
    Southern Bastards
    Thanks! I am going to check into some of these. There is so much material being put out and so much of it crap.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Without going into it to the point of "Spoilers", I'd guess that elements of that title would appeal to fans of Planetary.

Why? I mean, really, planetary who nothing to with with wildstorm other than its first apearance. It could have been published by Pacific or First.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Indeed.
    Mark Waid is a great writer,i like the Doctor Strange stories but not to the point of collecting all the Doctor Strange stories.But with Waid writing the new comic book i had to read it.And with just one issue i think the comic book will be a must read.
    I like how it have a mixture of being stories about a magician but in a Sci Fi tone,making Doctor Strange a interesting read.

i never liked any of the Dr Strange comics but the movie was great! Realy realy great. I'll give it a look see.

Why? I mean, really, planetary who nothing to with with wildstorm other than its first apearance. It could have been published by Pacific or First.
    The series is essentially DC letting him pull from anywhere in that publisher's history. Without spoiling to much, versions of some "Planetary" elements have turned up in the two new series.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Duskman View Post
    There's this window between 1980 through 2010 where I think that, despite the scourge of the edgy Dark Age, comics had found an equilibrium that served comic book storytelling best. Although I'm probably thinking of just some good titles around that era, and there was probably tons of crap being put out at that time as well.
    I think that is fare to say. That might well be do to the fact that most of the creaters at that time, George Perez, Wolfman, Chaykin, Miller, Cockeran, Grell, McFarlene, Simonson, Wrightson, Gaiman, Bolland, Quasada, BWS, Shooter, Layton, Lamphan etc etc...

They were schooled in the old system of monthly deadlines, and lots of work. The had a huge amount of practice and they were well schooled by the Golden Age Masters who were still alive and taught craftmanship. then the lid came off and they were released to pursue more outside the mainstream, which gave a huge burst of creativity. Maybe it all ended with Planetary, though. It feels like that, almost as if Planetary was the cap to the an era of a creative bubble. We thought that these adult oriented books would be the standard forever, but the adults have moved on, and the books are targeting a younger audience that has no patience at all for a story to develop. And this is not just comics. Could Harry Potter have been created in today's environment? I don't know. Maybe things will settle down in the future, but today I doubt it.

Invincible Member

I think he means that in some ways Planetary was about seeing twisted takes on old pulp concepts and blending that with an overarching conspiracy theme...The Wildstorm does something similar with old Wildstrom characters.

Astonishing Member

Here are a couple of titles for new comics that I found interesting and that should be easy to catch up on (since they're new): The Dead Hand (#3 out now) and The Weatherman (#1 out now)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Here are a couple of titles for new comics that I found interesting and that should be easy to catch up on (since they're new): The Dead Hand (#3 out now) and The Weatherman (#1 out now)
    Thanks I will look them up