Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Boisterously Confused

Default The Most Egrious Misrepresentation of a Character I Ever Saw Was...

I've been reading Marvel from Fantastic Four #1 forward across multiple titles and am now in 1981. One thing that's impressed me is how multiple writers/editors kept characters relatively consistent. Except when they didn't.

I mean some of that was Really Bad. Characters were simply written totally out-of-character every now and then, to a point that was offensive. Have you seen that?

My personal vote is X-Men King Sized Annual #5. The Invisible Woman had been steady growing as a character, and Claremont (who was usually a feminist writer) regressed her to an "helpless female" stereotype in one quick stroke.

So what's your WT* misrepresentation?

Mark Waid writing Gwenpool. He did not understand the character in terms of how she thinks and behaves so, he turned her into a bad Deadpool clone. Which is what she isn't when written by writers who understand her like Christopher Hastings.

Mariko Tamaki and Jason Aaron writing She-Hulk. Jen should not be a Hulk Clone and she is a fun character.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Max Bemis on moon knight. He turned the mysterious, dark antihero of Marc Spector into a "lol Marc's so craaazy" . Which is also what they did in Dr.strange damnation turning Marc into a atrocious comedic relief with everyone just calling him crazy.

Greg Pak writing Sabretooth in Weapon X, Creed is now some stupid thick headed twat that shouts out memes and can't work out a phone among many other things.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Abductor View Post
    Greg Pak writing Sabretooth in Weapon X, Creed is now some stupid thick headed twat that shouts out memes and can't work out a phone among many other things.
    THIS. Creed is supposed to be clever & intelligent. Not the big oafish loser we get from some writers. Also, he's never been mature. But he's immature in a ******* way. Not the arrested development, brain of a 12-year-old way. Creed is a provocative ******* of a man. Not a frat boy or Chandler Bing.

Deadpool. He wasn't supposed to be a comedy relief character. He's the sad clown with lots of trauma, self loathing and insecurities. He's not Bugs Bunny or Peter Griffin. Unlike what some writers, most famously Daniel Way, decided to do.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 06-09-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Iceman ever since All-New X-Men #40.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Knight27 View Post
    Max Bemis on moon knight. He turned the mysterious, dark antihero of Marc Spector into a "lol Marc's so craaazy" . Which is also what they did in Dr.strange damnation turning Marc into a atrocious comedic relief with everyone just calling him crazy.
    Is that where that started?

Messiah series. What those "writers" did with Bishop was a racist atrocity.

Jason Aaron on Dr. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Reed Richards during Civil War. It was such a departure from how I saw Reed and how he was previously portrayed, especially the stuff with Clor and Bill Foster. He didn't even care that he died, he might as well have said "whoops! My bad" he cared so little. That has never been how Reed reacted to how a friend dies, especially if it were his fault.
    It's especially jarring after the arc in FF 300 and something, many years before Civil War where he and the team were testifying against registering superheroes.
    That whole event was a mess and while Reed isn't viewed as badly as Tony Stark after it, there are still those who hate him because of it and think that is how he usually acts.
    Reed got a pass from the rest of the MU. He was right next to Tony when they were doing bad ****. And Carol was right there step for step doing the things Tony was doing and got nothing like how Stark got and she did the bad **** again in CWII. I don't see her getting bashed no where as near as Tony did. Steve did get mindwiped on Tony's order by Strange. Strange didn't get the blame Tony took it.

Quote Originally Posted by hotroddii View Post
    Carol Danvers since she became Captain Marvel.
    She's doing illegal things now and **** she did before with Tony.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 06-10-2018 at 03:48 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Bafflement View Post
    That was the first thing that popped up in my head too.

They never really gave Bishop much of a bad door to really "fix" him either. Usually this sort of thing was due to mind control or whatever.

Namor pretty much since Bendis Dark Illuminati (maybe a little before) Namor had been missed handled and miss used. Not only on a character stand point but even with his powers and relationships.

Current Marvel really does not understand the character at all.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

How much time do you have? Would you like a post in novel form.

Quote Originally Posted by Bafflement View Post
    Although I would agree that it was a terrible idea and ultimately a pure CHARACTER-ASSASSINATION (which, honestly... I'm not entirely convinced the character have recovered entirely from yet - even though he's back to classic-mode and heroic again), I'm not sure why you would figure the story-line was racist?

Quote Originally Posted by Knight27 View Post
    LOL ISN'T MENTAL ILLNESS JUST SO FUNNY

Uggggh.