Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default The Most Egrious Misrepresentation of a Character I Ever Saw Was...

I've been reading Marvel from Fantastic Four #1 forward across multiple titles and am now in 1981. One thing that's impressed me is how multiple writers/editors kept characters relatively consistent. Except when they didn't.

I mean some of that was Really Bad. Characters were simply written totally out-of-character every now and then, to a point that was offensive. Have you seen that?

My personal vote is X-Men King Sized Annual #5. The Invisible Woman had been steady growing as a character, and Claremont (who was usually a feminist writer) regressed her to an "helpless female" stereotype in one quick stroke.

So what's your WT* misrepresentation?

Mark Waid writing Gwenpool. He did not understand the character in terms of how she thinks and behaves so, he turned her into a bad Deadpool clone. Which is what she isn't when written by writers who understand her like Christopher Hastings.

Mariko Tamaki and Jason Aaron writing She-Hulk. Jen should not be a Hulk Clone and she is a fun character.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Max Bemis on moon knight. He turned the mysterious, dark antihero of Marc Spector into a "lol Marc's so craaazy" . Which is also what they did in Dr.strange damnation turning Marc into a atrocious comedic relief with everyone just calling him crazy.

Greg Pak writing Sabretooth in Weapon X, Creed is now some stupid thick headed twat that shouts out memes and can't work out a phone among many other things.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Abductor View Post
    Greg Pak writing Sabretooth in Weapon X, Creed is now some stupid thick headed twat that shouts out memes and can't work out a phone among many other things.
    THIS. Creed is supposed to be clever & intelligent. Not the big oafish loser we get from some writers. Also, he's never been mature. But he's immature in a ******* way. Not the arrested development, brain of a 12-year-old way. Creed is a provocative ******* of a man. Not a frat boy or Chandler Bing.

Deadpool. He wasn't supposed to be a comedy relief character. He's the sad clown with lots of trauma, self loathing and insecurities. He's not Bugs Bunny or Peter Griffin. Unlike what some writers, most famously Daniel Way, decided to do.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 06-09-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Iceman ever since All-New X-Men #40.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Iceman ever since All-New X-Men #40.
    Without looking it up, I'm going to assume this is the one where Bobby was revealed to be gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    Without looking it up, I'm going to assume this is the one where Bobby was revealed to be gay.
    You'd be correct
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    You'd be correct
    Had a feeling. It was just a little too, "I don't care what's happened since then, this is where I draw the line."

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    “revealed”

Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Reed Richards during Civil War. It was such a departure from how I saw Reed and how he was previously portrayed, especially the stuff with Clor and Bill Foster. He didn't even care that he died, he might as well have said "whoops! My bad" he cared so little. That has never been how Reed reacted to how a friend dies, especially if it were his fault.
    It's especially jarring after the arc in FF 300 and something, many years before Civil War where he and the team were testifying against registering superheroes.
    That whole event was a mess and while Reed isn't viewed as badly as Tony Stark after it, there are still those who hate him because of it and think that is how he usually acts.
    Last edited by Crimz; 06-09-2018 at 06:47 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Carol Danvers since she became Captain Marvel.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    Mariko Tamaki and Jason Aaron writing She-Hulk. Jen should not be a Hulk Clone and she is a fun character.
    Having read Tamaki's run, she wasn't at all a Hulk clone. She wasn't the She-Hulk we knew, I agree (although I don't think a new thing because of specific events in her life is the same thing as misrepresenting a character - was David Michelinie misrepresenting Iron Man when he started suffering from alcoholism?). I hope she recovers and reverts to status quo (I'm sure she will), but that's not the same thing.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Knight27 View Post
    Max Bemis on moon knight. He turned the mysterious, dark antihero of Marc Spector into a "lol Marc's so craaazy" . Which is also what they did in Dr.strange damnation turning Marc into a atrocious comedic relief with everyone just calling him crazy.
    Is that where that started?

Messiah series. What those "writers" did with Bishop was a racist atrocity.