Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    I swear X-Men is like the only place in fiction where gay relationships between men are accepted but between women it is verboten, even though gross male gaze stuff dictates that the opposite must be true.
    I think that happens because Kitty is a "waifu", you can see that in many of the writers that have self inserted as her boyfriend, even great critically acclaimed writers like Ellis who did that through Pete Wisdom. If they make her gay, she can't be a waifu for straight men anymore.
    Gay men don't have that problem, so it's easier to let them be gay.

Honestly, I think it's a problem of the writers, not the readers. Many writers are in the age group that made them read the original Claremont run as kids, with Kitty as the young character for teens to self insert and fall in love with. Most modern readers are probably irritated by Kitty, or how she has been written the last years.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    she can't be a waifu for straight men anymore.
    It's the waifu part of Kitty that's the effing worst. Because she's such a Mary Ann/Cool Girl, every underdeveloped pleb with hormones thinks she's the perfect mate. It's tragic, because her entanglements make her a compelling disaster protagonist, but we have to suffer through every writer working through his issues.

No one waifus Mystique, Destiny, Magik, Karma, Sunpyre, Rachel Summers, Karolina Dean, Lightspeed, Harley, Ivy, or Storm.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    It's the waifu part of Kitty that's the effing worst. Because she's such a Mary Ann/Cool Girl, every underdeveloped pleb with hormones thinks she's the perfect mate. It's tragic, because her entanglements make her a compelling disaster protagonist, but we have to suffer through every writer working through his issues.

No one waifus Mystique, Destiny, Magik, Karma, Sunpyre, Rachel Summers, Karolina Dean, Lightspeed, Harley, Ivy, or Storm.
    Rachel has been waifu’d plenty of times since Reload. Storm too during Hudlin’s run.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    NO

let her join rogue and that strange man to form a triumvirate
    Your wisdom knows no bounds.

Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

This is the epitome of the internet in the 2010s.

Discussing who/what is and isn't queer be they real or fictional.

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    Eh, I'm not big on Kitty being queer. Not due in any part to being against it, but mostly cause I feel the moment she's made gay or bi, they're going to put her with Magik.

And I am not big on Illyana and Kitty as a couple.
    Illyana belongs with Leah of Hel, accept no substitutes.

I know Leah is just young Hela but the x-books have seen weirder.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    This is the epitome of the internet in the 2010s.

Discussing who/what is and isn't queer be they real or fictional.
    Ideally a Queer Kitty Pryde thread would just be keepers of the flame appreciating our subtextually queer icon -- most of my days don't involve rationalizing or defending it, it's just..self evident! It's not about if she is or isn't, it's just 'you keep phasing through robots Queer Kitty Pryde, you're doing great!'

But the mere existence of a forum topic is like an implicit invitation for debate between scholars of the subject and anyone who sees it and says "huh, never thought about it before but I don't see it"... kind of like fox news covering climate change and YES I AM SUGGESTING THIS IS OF COMPARABLE IMPORTANCE

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Illyana belongs with Leah of Hel, accept no substitutes.

I know Leah is just young Hela but the x-books have seen weirder.
    Illyana belongs with Leah Williams because daaamn that What If one-shot is good. She is probably the only writer I know I would trust to do justice to Illyana in any relationship.

I kind of agree with PART of Woozie's post in that pairing Kitty with Illyana (or Rachel or Karma) seems like a trap that a lot of writers would immediately walk into, and I feel like Kitty is ready for a period where she's not in a serious relationship for a while, having already been engaged twice (not counting Caliban... am I forgetting an other weird wedding situations?) And I think a lot of writers would be afraid to break any of those pairings up, and maybe afraid to even depict any conflict. And I'm especially weary of Kitty and Illyana in the wrong hands because.... I don't want to act like Illyana is nothing more than her trauma, or that that should be all that defines her... but at the same time, any relationship that didn't incorporate that into the fabric would feel dishonest to me. And I'm not sure that just anyone could thread that needle, in the context of a superhero book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALITY View Post
    Illyana belongs with Leah Williams because daaamn that What If one-shot is good. She is probably the only writer I know I would trust to do justice to Illyana in any relationship.

I kind of agree with PART of Woozie's post in that pairing Kitty with Illyana (or Rachel or Karma) seems like a trap that a lot of writers would immediately walk into, and I feel like Kitty is ready for a period where she's not in a serious relationship for a while, having already been engaged twice (not counting Caliban... am I forgetting an other weird wedding situations?) And I think a lot of writers would be afraid to break any of those pairings up, and maybe afraid to even depict any conflict. And I'm especially weary of Kitty and Illyana in the wrong hands because.... I don't want to act like Illyana is nothing more than her trauma, or that that should be all that defines her... but at the same time, any relationship that didn't incorporate that into the fabric would feel dishonest to me. And I'm not sure that just anyone could thread that needle, in the context of a superhero book.
    She was mind-controlled into becoming Prince William’s fiancee during Cross-Time Caper.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Best. Cover. Ever.
    I’ll be in my bunk.

To be on topic, go for it Kate, I’d be most strongly in favour of her being bi as we are criminally underrepresented at the mo.
    Last edited by Su_Whisterfield; 09-30-2019 at 12:57 AM.

So, not even looking for fuel for this thread, I was watching videos on the Women of Marvel youtube channel, and got to this one they did for Pride Month, featuring briskly-edited studio interviews with Tini Howard, Vita Ayala and Leah Williams (all of whom will be writing DOX titles, though only Howard’s Excalibur has been announced)

https://youtu.be/QTMRq3S4hG8

They mostly talk about themselves as queer Marvel writers, but there’s a segment where they each choose a character to highlight. Howard talks about Rictor. Ayala talks about Mystique. And Williams chooses... Kitty Pryde. She says nothing of Kitty’s orientation, but the inclusion is nice in itself!

Okay I’m going to sleep before I find myself saying “and another thing!..”

I have never seen Kitty give any gay vibe. . Kitty feels more like valley teen girl who loves to gossip about guys and chase boys

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I have never seen Kitty give any gay vibe. . Kitty feels more like valley teen girl who loves to gossip about guys and chase boys
    Valley girl wtf???