Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    Magneto and Xavier have a lot of heavy subtext, how come I don't see people complaining about queer erasure like this when they have het pairings?

Do people not get friendships? Is there not more love than just sexual love? Two long time friends, one dying in the other's arms and people want to make this a homosexual relationship? Is that all this is about anymore is tally marks on either side? Repugnant if you ask me.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bloodofthegods View Post
    Do people not get friendships? Is there not more love than just sexual love? Two long time friends, one dying in the other's arms and people want to make this a homosexual relationship? Is that all this is about anymore is tally marks on either side? Repugnant if you ask me.

BANNED

Sexual love isn’t even always romantic love. There’s a lot of space in there for love, attraction and camaraderie without nailing down a definitive singular classification. Sex and sexuality is a complex thing and the reality of that doesn’t even necessairily reflect one’s chosen identity.

From these panels you can tell Xavier and Magnus care for each other deeply, they’re almost intimately close, more like family than friends or colleagues. Does that mean they want to bone? I dunno, it’s possible. Does it matter? Not really imo, they love each other and that’s enough for me.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

I'm also curious as to why out of a whole thread about queer subtext between female characters, you focused on the only male pairing to label as "repugnant."

The language we have to discuss relationships, sexual platonic romantic professional et cetera, is very small despite being a huge part of the hallmark diet that contemporary culture feeds us. Relationships bleed into one another, causing drama and comedy and tragedy.

Charles and Magneto can be best friends, arch enemies, and love each other completely, and never once think about the other naked or desire the others' body.

BANNED

There are some other close male friendships or rivalries that had some deeper implication or subtext over the years. Nightcrawler & Wolverine, Cannonball & Sunspot, Beast & Iceman, Cyclops & Wolverine, Gambit & Bishop, Cable & Deadpool, Iceman & Cannonball, Cypher & Warlock, probably others that slipped my mind. Rictor & Shatterstar also fell into this category until PAD made it official.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    There are some other close male friendships or rivalries that had some deeper implication or subtext over the years.
    Absolutely. Iceman's reveal about repressing his sexuality in favor of embracing his mutant identity suggests an internal struggle that others may have wrestled with in younger, more hormone-driven times. Even Kinsey 1s blur deeper into the spectrum when you add stress, security, and identity issues. What happens in boarding school doesn't necessarily impact the choices you make at 40. Sexual behaviors (should/often) follow consent and trust. That's why conversations about power dynamics are so important. With all these relationships bleeding back and forth, one person is going to empty out more than the other.

Dudes like Cyclops shouldn't have a "sexuality" so much as looking for a person to relax with... like Colossus. Dudes like Kitty Pryde don't have "a sexuality" so much as hold court among whoever fascinates her at the moment... like Daken.

Ultimate Member

Even funnier, Shan for example wasn’t canonically a lesbian for her first 2 decades in publication. And even then there was less existing subtext for her than there was with supposedly “straight” A-list characters like Ororo or Kitty.
    Ha, this felt so out of left field. Rahne and Dani were snuggling and calling each other soulmates, as were Ilyanna and Kitty, and it's Shan who turns out to be a lesbian? So random. She seemed, to me, the *least* likely of the three founding New Mutant ladies.

And the notion that outing a character somehow raise their profile seems like a joke. Where Karma now? Rictor? Northstar? Anole? Living Lightning? Mutant, please.

Anyway, Rachel and Ilyanna forever. They need to realize that Kitty was a terrible 'best friend' and run off together. I don't care if they are girlfriends or just girls who are friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Anyway, Rachel and Ilyanna forever.
    I should really finish my Ruby + Sapphire = Rachel + Illyanna fanart poster. I wonder how many of you would throw me $ for a print.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Really gotta wonder why everyone's got to be grasping at every little straw that x character is bi or gay. Sometimes a character is just straight and the "signs" people are looking for are just the innate flamboyant nature of superhero comics.
    You bludgeon someone on the head enough with lesbian innuendos, they finally start noticing. After awhile, even some of us thick-headed types start noticing endless use of one female character figuratively pounding her own chest and yelling at another female character: "You WILL love me, BODY AND SOUL !!!!!!!!" "Oh, darling, you look so delicious!" This starts to make me feel like I'm witnessing some of Claremont's personal fetishes, and it makes me very uncomfortable. I hope he never writes another Marvel title ever again.

Yes. And then Rachel and Illyana should find each other.

I NEED Rayana to happen.
    Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Yana can be interpreted as straight, bi, lesbian, asexual, or nearly anything else based on what issues you are reading. Maybe more so than any other character I have seen.
    I think she's bi.

Astonishing Member

I think Illiana and Rachel are bi, but they aren't attracted to human men. They like human women + demons/magical creatures for Illyana, and Shi Ar men for Rachel.

Incredible Member

If Illyana does come out as queer, I'd ship her with Dani Moonstar. Dani's generally level-headed and can provide a positive influence for Illyana's messed-up life. She was the first of the new mutants who believed that Illyana's a good person.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I think Illiana and Rachel are bi, but they aren't attracted to human men. They like human women + demons/magical creatures for Illyana, and Shi Ar men for Rachel.
    Rachel is currently dating Kurt and in Wood's run had something of a fling with Sublime.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    There is one human male for Rachel. Unfortunately. he's not allowed to grow up.