Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Seems more like a curious girl, like she want to see the male body. It is a exploration of sexuality
    Could be, like I said, this was just my interpretation. Having been there, it reminds me of moments when a closeted person is attempting to pass as straight and accidentally over-corrects.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Could be, like I said, this was just my interpretation. Having been there, it reminds me of moments when a closeted person is attempting to pass as straight and accidentally over-corrects.
    How is it that I never hear stories of how straight people attempt to pass as LGBT?

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    How is it that I never hear stories of how straight people attempt to pass as LGBT?
    Honestly can’t tell what is and isn’t a joke on this site anymore. But if you aren’t kidding, the only reason nonstraight people try to straight pass is so they don’t end up being a victim of homophobia or get hate crimed. Why would a straight person need to come off as nonstraight? It’s the same reason POC have to code switch when working or talking to those in positions of power.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Cuz you don't have a Twitter account?
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Cuz you don't have a Twitter account?
    Your right I don't. I can't see myself sharing the same platform with Donald J. Trump

I think with Illyana it may be more complicated than a queer person trying to pass as straight; in the most literal terms that’s just one component of a powerful sorceress who barely sees herself as human at all (or is at least convinced that everyone who loves her is severely overestimating her humanity), performatively trying to pass as a ‘normal girl’. This is another example of how everyone brings something of themselves to the stories, but it reminds me of myself, in that, I’ve had cerebral palsy all my life and I remember so much of my childhood/teenhood being consumed with self consciously trying to project to my peers how ‘normal’ I was, which I never thought of in terms of being closeted, but it wasn’t until much later that I began to grasp the insidious extent to which heteronormativity was wrapped up in my concept of being a real human at all. (*I should say that this awful standard applied only to myself. I had queer friends and of course they were real, I just knew that secretly I wasn't.)

I’m not at all suggesting Illyana’s story is a 1:1 parallel to that, but the fact that she has this side of herself that she’s trying to hold back for fear of damaging the more comfortable concept her friends and family have of her, it’s easy to understand how she resonates so strongly with notions of queerness or being closeted, or plenty of other things individual readers bring with them. That’s the beauty of these stories — since mutants aren’t real and growing up in a literal hell dimension isn’t possible, the emotional framework comes from our own human experiences. Now, I’m not arguing that these characters shouldn’t ever also be made explicitly queer, because that is powerful in its own way, and I don’t think that specificity sacrifices any of the universality of the fantasy’s metaphorical potential.

I also see an (arguably) lighter side to those earlier depictions of Illyana. All of the romantic feelings or attractions that every other New Mutant spends so much time handwringing about (especially Rahne), mortified that everyone will be able to tell that they’re doing it wrong, are just so far from anything Illyana could imagine worrying about, I think she has some fun showing the others how easy it is. It’s the contrast present in my avatar, even! (They’re reacting to Warlock and Impossible Man taking the form of speedo-clad bodybuilders flexing on the beach.)
    Last edited by TOTALITY; 09-30-2019 at 12:54 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALITY View Post
    What book is this frame from?

What book is this frame from?
    New Mutants Annual #3! A great, fun issue.

New Mutants Annual #3, 1987.

ETA: What he said! XD

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

‘Spot Alan Davis’ is my secret superpower.
    And yeah, great fun.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    New Mutants Annual #3, 1987.

ETA: What he said! XD
    Thanks, I think I'll read that tonight

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Alan Davis' Sam just looks like a blonde Arnold Scharwznagger
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Alan Davis' Sam just looks like a blonde Arnold Scharwznagger
    Everyone looks like individuals when Davis is on a book.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    Well I always felt that Rachel and Illyana should stop pining for Kitty and go out with each other. It would be an interesting development. Haha, the new love triangle of the X-Men can be Rachel, Illyana, and Kitty.
    hell yeah!!!