Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

If it was shown on panel I’d be fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Kitty's bachelorette party was at a strip club with both men and women.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysv75 View Post
    Weirdos? You mean fans who are desperate for recognition and are tired of being queer baited? Representation matters so much. 5-7 percent of the population is gay, but there are nowhere near that many gay characters in comics (or movies or tv-shows for that matter). That is why hints that a characters might be gay (or at least bi-curious) gets so much recognition by fans - there are so few other gay characters out there for us to identify with.

So you read and buy comic books for people to identify with? Really? That sounds pretty limited to me.

I read and buy comic books for the inspirational storytelling. And for the characters character. How they comport themselves, rise to challenges and live heroically. It's what has allowed me to enjoy if not learn from characters from a cross section of society. It also gives me the opportunity to read about the kind of person I want to become and work on being.

If I wanted to see or read about someone like myself I don't have to waste money on a comic book. I can get that in real life for free from sitting in the food court of my local mall or riding public transit.
    Last edited by Mia; 06-10-2018 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    So you read and buy comic books for people to identify with? Really? That sounds pretty limited to me.

I read and buy comic books for the inspirational storytelling. And for the characters character. How they comport themselves, rise to challenges and live heroically. It's what has allowed me to enjoy if not learn from characters from a cross section of society. It also gives me the opportunity to read about the kind of person I want to become and work on being.

If I wanted to see or read about someone like myself I don't have to waste money on a comic book. I can get that in real life for free from sitting in the food court of my local mall or riding public transit.
    Of course I don’t only read comics for people to identify with. I never said that.
    I want to be inspired as well, and get insights into other people’s lives. I want to escape my mundane life.
    But why can’t it be both? That I can both like media that inspires me and gives me insight into other people’s lives. As well as wanting to find characters to identify with.

Almost all characters in comics, movies etc are straight. As a gay man I feel ignored and marginalized. Why can’t I get more gay characters in comics, showing me that writers and artists and editors acknowledge that people like me exist, at the same time as I get bigger than life adventures? It shouldn’t be that hard.

Of course I don’t only read comics for people to identify with. I never said that.
    I want to be inspired as well, and get insights into other people’s lives. I want to escape my mundane life.
    But why can’t it be both? That I can both like media that inspires me and gives me insight into other people’s lives. As well as wanting to find characters to identify with.

Almost all characters in comics, movies etc are straight. As a gay man I feel ignored and marginalized. Why can’t I get more gay characters in comics, showing me that writers and artists and editors acknowledge that people like me at the same time as I get bigger than life adventures? It shouldn’t be that hard.
    Exactly.
    I want action and adventure, but well developed characters make me more invested in the story. Those characters should be diverse to appeal to a diverse market.
    It's not just gay fans that want gay characters. Many readers like having a diverse cast. A good example is that I loved that the character of Jericho in the Titans was mute and spoke with sign language. I want to see characters from all walks of life.

Incredible Member

Instead of trying to assume if our favorite character is queer, what about the other characters who are canonically queer? Don’t they get any love? I like Anole and Karma.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 244 View Post
    Instead of trying to assume if our favorite character is queer, what about the other characters who are canonically queer? Don’t they get any love? I like Anole and Karma.
    Northstar is one of my favorite character hands down, but he basically got the boot after Astonishing X-Men... I'd love to see him active again.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Well, although i have no stakes in this discussion, i had to say that characters that are confirmed queer don't appear very often, right now i think that the one with higher profile is Iceman, whose solo seems to be quite popular (i thought that the first issue was good, but i didn't continue).

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    It’s not Canon. Sorry, Not Sorry!

BANNED

Almost all characters in comics, movies etc are straight. As a gay man I feel ignored and marginalized. Why can’t I get more gay characters in comics, showing me that writers and artists and editors acknowledge that people like me exist, at the same time as I get bigger than life adventures? It shouldn’t be that hard.
    That's good to know. But instead of advocating for more gay characters to be included. Would it not be more effective to have a gay character who is more fleshed out and portrayed in a positive light? And by positive I mean given depth, dignity their own personality.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Exactly.
    I want action and adventure, but well developed characters make me more invested in the story. Those characters should be diverse to appeal to a diverse market.
    It's not just gay fans that want gay characters. Many readers like having a diverse cast. A good example is that I loved that the character of Jericho in the Titans was mute and spoke with sign language. I want to see characters from all walks of life.
    Exactly. It adds more depth and for interesting stories.

The irony certainly isn’t lost on me that it seems a lot of the people who wish to dream of their favorite characters as being queer tend to either never mention the canon queer characters in the same breath or flat out ignore that they even exist while complaining about the level of queer representation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    And? It’s not like Kitty was the one who booked it or even gave any real reaction to female strippers. We weren’t exactly there to bear witness to Kitty getting a lap dance from a woman.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 06-10-2018 at 01:06 PM.

I also never read Kitty and ilyana as anything other than a sisterly friendship that rivals any family bond. I would rather a new character that was openly bisexual and proud to fly that flag, or better, bring back Bling! And have her dive into an x-team after a little more time away. I’m excited to see more Northstar which was teased in the x-position.

I would rather give our openly LGBT characters more presence and panel time than trying to push a long established character out of a closet that may or may not be there. Plus, kitty has hogged enough panel time in gold, do we REALLY need her to be pushed any more into the spotlight which her coming out would certainly do

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Considering his proclivity for tentacles...
    I miss Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Notably an establishment Storm picked out. “X-Men don’t discriminate”.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    The irony certainly isn’t lost on me that it seems a lot of the people who wish to dream of their favorite characters as being queer tend to either never mention the canon queer characters in the same breath or flat out ignore that they even exist while complaining about the level of queer representation.
    Even funnier, Shan for example wasn’t canonically a lesbian for her first 2 decades in publication. And even then there was less existing subtext for her than there was with supposedly “straight” A-list characters like Ororo or Kitty.

I love Shan too though and always decry when she isn’t used. Like notably at Kitty’s bachelorette party, despite being closer to Kitty than nearly half the ladies present (Jean, Domino, Brand, Betsy, etc). That’s actually the issue, not the fans ignoring these characters but the creators. Get a new strawman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Muffinman View Post
    I also never read Kitty and ilyana as anything other than a sisterly friendship that rivals any family bond. I would rather a new character that was openly bisexual and proud to fly that flag, or better, bring back Bling! And have her dive into an x-team after a little more time away. I’m excited to see more Northstar which was teased in the x-position.

I would rather give our openly LGBT characters more presence and panel time than trying to push a long established character out of a closet that may or may not be there. Plus, kitty has hogged enough panel time in gold, do we REALLY need her to be pushed any more into the spotlight which her coming out would certainly do
    Would love to know which spotlight Iceman got inbetween his outing in April 2015 and the launch of his solo in June 2017.