The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default When Pre-COIE Barry Allen read all those comics about Golden Age heroes...

By reading Golden Age comic books, Pre-COIE Earth-One Barry Allen learned that Jay Garrick was the Flash of Earth-Two. This wasn't a problem because there was no Jay Garrick (that we know of) on Earth-One, or even if there was, Earth-One's Jay Garrick wasn't the Flash.

But what about Superman (Clark Kent), Wonder Woman (Diana Prince), Batman (Bruce Wayne), Robin (Dick Grayson), and, to a lesser extent, Aquaman (Arthur Curry), Green Arrow (Oliver Queen), and Hawkman (Carter Hall)? These were heroes who existed on both Earth-One and Earth-Two, whom Barry knew as people in his world as well as characters in the comics he read. Were characters such as Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, etc., simply different people (not Clark, Diana, Bruce, etc.) in the comics that Barry read? Or did their civilian identities never get portrayed in those comics? How did DC resolve this (assuming it ever did)?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Retired

Presumably the comic books on Earth-One were published by Max Gaines with Sheldon Mayer as the main editor--the All-American side of things--but not Harry Donenfeld with Whitney Ellsworth as the main editor--the Detective Comics side of things.

Since Batman and Superman only appeared in a few issues of ALL-STAR COMICS, those comics might have been different on Barry's Earth. On our Earth--Earth-Prime--our Gardner Fox had a telepathic connection to both Earths and thus was able to render those stories fairly faithfully. But I guess the Gardner Fox on Earth-One was not as well in tune telepathically with Earth-Two as his Earth-Prime counterpart and only picked up signals for certain heroes and not others.

It reminds me how in Legends of Tomorrow Nate coined "Legion of Doom" from an old cartoon he used to watch as a kid, implying Super Friends was an actual cartoon in the Arrowverse even though a lot of the main Arrowverse heroes were in that show.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It reminds me how in Legends of Tomorrow Nate coined "Legion of Doom" from an old cartoon he used to watch as a kid, implying Super Friends was an actual cartoon in the Arrowverse even though a lot of the main Arrowverse heroes were in that show.
    LOL seeing the grim CW Arrow watch himself as portrayed on SuperFriends wold be hysterical.

On the other-hand CW Barry would probably love his SuperFriends portrayal.
    Him and Cisco likely watch it together.
    I can see Cisco going- did I just see that latino dude teleport?

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    These were heroes who existed on both Earth-One and Earth-Two, whom Barry knew as people in his world as well as characters in the comics he read.
    Like himself, maybe he just figured his colleagues were inspired by old comic book characters too.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-11-2018 at 09:32 AM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Like himself, maybe he just figured his colleagues were inspired by old comic book characters too.
    Although this seems to be a joke, it's actually a perfect explanation.

"Well, if I am the Flash and I am not Jay Garrick, Superman probably isn't Clark Kent" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The problem is Batman, as Bruce is too high profile to ignore.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    LOL seeing the grim CW Arrow watch himself as portrayed on SuperFriends wold be hysterical.

The first time I ever saw or even heard of Ollie was from that episode.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Although this seems to be a joke, it's actually a perfect explanation.

"Well, if I am the Flash and I am not Jay Garrick, Superman probably isn't Clark Kent" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The problem is Batman, as Bruce is too high profile to ignore.
    And it'd be RICH the moment a few years later when Barry learns that the Superman and Batman of his world are indeed ALSO Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne!

I can see Barry laughing his butt off when he finds out!

828F8387-4325-4574-9DC6-8D9889BC3AA9.jpg

When they traveled to earth prime in Justice League of America #153, they were immediately recognised by everyone and they seen the comics with stories of themselves in... Great storyline.

Astonishing Member

Its possible that it was only Flash Comics that were published on Earth One...or which Barry read. Maybe it had something to do with speedsters relationships to the Multiverse, such that their activities psychically penetrated the barriers between earths better.

Astonishing Member

It's not all that hard to handwave it away.

After all the Teen Titans comics once referenced Tiny Titans being a kids cartoon in the DCU despite revealing things in those stories that would similarly reveal things about those characters.

Like Batgirl's dad being Commissioner Gordon. Jonathan and Martha Kent being related to Superman (and Supergirl) etc...

Just assume it all happens but the contradictory stuff was shown as something else.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

My understanding was that the idea for Flash came to Gardner Fox in dreams. So that he was somehow crossing the dimensional barrier in dreams and seeing the adventures of the Earth 2 Flash. Since his dreams didn't include Superman, it wasn't an issue. Don't remember where I read this though.
    Assassinate Putin!

Retired

Gardner never was a Superman writer (other than when he used him in the Justice Society and Justice League stories); however, he was a Batman writer (in the early days and then decades later), so it's harder to see how he didn't vibe Batman in his dreams. But this is the totally made-up comc book Gardner Fox we're talking about, so it's hardly something to sweat over.

I'm with PyroTwilight on this one. While it's fun to think about the loopy consequences had the comic books in Barry's collection been exactly the same as those in Jerry Bail's collection--reason suggests otherwise. And it's just as much fun to speculate on the special brand of comics that were available on Earth-One to Barry Allen and his fellow comic book geeks--and in what ways they varied from the comics on our Earth.

I imagine that once Jay and the other heroes from Earth-Two started to make appearances on Earth-One this had an impact on the value of the comics in Barry's collection and that of other Earth-One fanboys and fangirls. Was there enough of a profit to be made that Barry could retire on his wealth, if he had sold off his collection?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I imagine that once Jay and the other heroes from Earth-Two started to make appearances on Earth-One this had an impact on the value of the comics in Barry's collection and that of other Earth-One fanboys and fangirls. Was there enough of a profit to be made that Barry could retire on his wealth, if he had sold off his collection?
    He probably could, but geek that he was, Barry would never part with that collection for any sum of money.

Could be that in that universe, they were different characters. Like how in “Last Action Hero,” T-800 was played by Stallone.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!