View Poll Results: Who is to blame for Thanos's victory?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Star-lord

28 40.00%
  • Thor

0 0%
  • Dr. Strange

1 1.43%
  • Iron Man

0 0%
  • Gamora

1 1.43%
  • Cap and the others

0 0%
  • Thanos

25 35.71%
  • Everyone is to blame

3 4.29%
  • No one

12 17.14%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Infinity War poll: Whose fault was it? (spoilers!)

I recently read an article where Chris Pratt had to defend Star-lord's actions toward the end of Infinity War, where he lost it on Thanos over Gamora's death and screwed up his own plan and leading to Thanos's win. Apparently, fans were going as far as to blame the actor for what his character did, and that is insane. Pratt is just an actor, he has literally no control over what his character does.

However, this debate over whose fault it was that Thanos was victorious is still going on, and I don't think there will ever be a real answer to it. People can blame Star-lord, or Thor for not chopping his head off, or Dr. Strange, or Iron Man, or the other Avengers forever and ever. It doesn't matter, Thanos still won. Heck, I'll even go as far as to just blame Thanos. He is the bad guy, after all. He was the one who started this whole thing in the first place. Also, he was simply too powerful in the end for everyone to handle (look what happened when Wanda killed Vision; he just brought him back to take the stone). This is usually the case when people go up against a threat they have never dealt with before.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Thanos. I'm really not a fan of blaming victims.

However... Gamora (and every other character from now until the end of time) needs to learn one thing before they start another adventure: You NEVER ever ever ever ever tell your love interest to kill you if things go bad. It's the height of stupidity and an utterly disgusting thing to put on them. Pick somebody else, preferably someone who cannot stand you, and if you cannot find somebody else, do it yourself and/or don't put yourself in a position where your presence is a liability. Gamora had no reason whatsoever to go after Thanos herself and risk, literally, everything.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Thanos. I'm really not a fan of blaming victims.

However... Gamora (and every other character from now until the end of time) needs to learn one thing before they start another adventure: You NEVER ever ever ever ever tell your love interest to kill you if things go bad. It's the height of stupidity and an utterly disgusting thing to put on them. Pick somebody else, preferably someone who cannot stand you, and if you cannot find somebody else, do it yourself and/or don't put yourself in a position where your presence is a liability. Gamora had no reason whatsoever to go after Thanos herself and risk, literally, everything.
    Well I dont think anyone but Starlord would have gone through with it. And its becaus he loves her. Maybe Nebula but she wasnt around. Drax,rocket ect wouldnt have been able to.

Starlord is only guilty of the same thing Gamorra was. I can't blame one and not the other.

Or I could just blame Thanos, since he is the one who actually killed half the universe.

BANNED

The only answer to this question is who the writers intended to be at fault. There's no indication they thought anyone is/should be at fault. There isn't really even an indication that they would have won anyway if any of a dozen things had gone differently. Indeed, as the entire point of the story was for Thanos to do the finger-snap, we can rest assured that that it would have come to this no matter what else happened.

To that extent, I suppose the "fault" lies with Marcus and McFeely for writing the story. Or maybe Starlin for writing the story upon which it was based.

Well, they did almost have the gauntlet until Starlord went all stupid mad.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Well, they did almost have the gauntlet until Starlord went all stupid mad.
    True, but if Gamorra could have been able to be as hard as she wanted Starlord to be Thanos would have been forever missing one of the stones. And Strange handed one over as well, but I think that was his vision of 'the only possibility where Thanos is defeated.'

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

If Loki had not taken the Tesseract before Adgard's destruction...

If Gamora hadn't told Thanos where the Soul Stone was...

If Star Lord had kept his cool when they were about to take the Gauntlet...

If Doctor Strange hadn't given up the Time Stone...

I don't understand why everyone is focusing only on Star Lord's mistake. There were plenty of chances to stop or at least slow down Thanos by several of the heroes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    If Loki had not taken the Tesseract before Adgard's destruction...
    It seems very unlikely the Tesseract would have been destroyed with Asgard.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    It seems very unlikely the Tesseract would have been destroyed with Asgard.
    Agreed. And worse, if Thanos had been able to pluck it without anyone knowing, he might have gathered all the gems without as much resistance as he faced.

It did suck for the Asgardians, though

It was pretty much hanging by his pinky until Star-Lord decided to bug out. The decicions made by the others were tough ones, but were also for single stones. This was the entire glove that Star messed up.

Only reason why I don't blame/credit Thanos for a full victory is because he didn't plan for Star-Lord to give him an out. Every other venture was earned.

Fantastic Member

Starlord and Scarlet witch and Doctor strange. The battle Doctor strange and Thanos should of been more epic and he should of just done more. An he most knew starlord would mess up. Starlord is a fool but that's his character. Scarlet watch, well she should of killed vision sooner but if thanos has the time stone he just reply the moment, so not really here. Doctor strange and starlord mostly at fault

Ultimate Member

Kinda odd that in those a million and one timelines Strange looked at, none of them seemed to have them getting the gauntlet off then and there, and ending it.

They can all discuss this among themselves when they come back to life by the end of the next Avengers movie.
    Power with Girl is better.

I'm pretty sure that without Thanos, Thanos wouldn't have won.