Default General Mills Monster Cereals: Write Our Movie!

General Mills wants "credentialed professionals" to submit pitches for multi-media projects featuring their monster-cereal characters like Count Chocula, FrankenBerry, BooBerry, etc.

https://www.workwiththemonsters.com

Wow. I suppose this was inevitable. And it looks as if the company is "serious" about working with folks who have some experience in film/TV productions.

I suppose if I had to pitch something, it would be a whimsical fantasy, something that younger kids could watch. Absolutely no need to turn this into a "dark" interpretation.

On a deeper level, I suppose some folks will lean in on what it means to potentially have a 90-minute "sugar" cereal commercial out there, but I'll leave that alone for now..

I just want to try Fruit Brute and Yummy Mummy. Maybe a movie will bring them back.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Oh, goody. The General Mills Cereal Monster Cinematic Universe is upon us.

Jesus wept.

Never eaten the cereal but imo....

Its a kids cgi action/comedy with low end horror. Count Chocula/Booberry/Frankenberry are all losers in the secret society of monsters. Monsters are meant to be scary and their...not. One of the trio discovers a text about the true 'King of Horror' but he's located in the human world (all monsters live on a non descript 'monster island' in the middle of the ocean) thus the trio of lovable losers go on an epic journey across various nations to try and learn how to be scary. Along the way they get into hijinks etc and learn that its better to be yourself.

Highlights

Jabs at modern horror lore (Twilight etc)
    Refferences to older lore (Chocula derisively explains how Vampires are fine in the sun, just get a bit queasy etc)
    The king of horror ? Its Vincent Price who's a tad bewildered but gives sage advice to these misfits.
    Post credits scene is a cereal guy talking to them about a mascot deal.

Astonishing Member

Do you have to use the Monsters? The Trix Rabbit and the Lucky Charms Leprechaun are the most iconic of the Mills cereal characters.

Mighty Member

LOL. I'd go straight to the Dark Side. the three monster cereal mascots are trying to find a serial killer... who turns out to be the Trix Rabbit decapitating adults that eat his cereal. "TRIX ... ARE... FOR.... KIDS!"

along the way the monsters get help from a Hannibal Lector style character played by the Lucky Charms Leprechaun.

the animated feature would last no more than 11 minutes. because, seriously.... WTF are you going to do with this to make it even 60 minutes long?

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    LOL. I'd go straight to the Dark Side. the three monster cereal mascots are trying to find a serial killer... who turns out to be the Trix Rabbit decapitating adults that eat his cereal. "TRIX ... ARE... FOR.... KIDS!"

along the way the monsters get help from a Hannibal Lector style character played by the Lucky Charms Leprechaun.

the animated feature would last no more than 11 minutes. because, seriously.... WTF are you going to do with this to make it even 60 minutes long?
    So a Cereal Killer?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    So a Cereal Killer?
    Yes, that has to be the plot!!

This Monster Cereal movie is the downside of the success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Now every company with IP of some sort is going to try to turn it into a movie series or at least an Avengers-style team up film. It's flattering for Marvel the way they've taken over Hollywood and changed the way it does business, but Marvel actually has fully developed characters with detailed backstories that could be mined.

If we were going to do a cereal character movie, I'd go with the Kelloggs characters as they are probably better known and liked, but I don't want to see any of it.

I just hope that if the Monster Cereal movie does come to pass, it doesn't get any more high profile than a Nickelodeon/Netflix series or an OVA.

As for "credentialed professionals," I'd guess Geoff Johns might take a serious look at this given his love for Count Chocula cereal.

People keep commenting on the MCU and shared universe and what not, but I'm pretty sure the impetus for this move is that Hotel Transylvania has three freaking movies now and General Mills is thinking, "Hey, we have kid friendly cartoon monsters too, let's get in on this!" In all honesty I'm expecting a cheaper, somehow (and this is impossible) more dumbed down Hotel Transylvania knock off in 3 to 4 years time.