View Poll Results: Who is to blame for Thanos's victory?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Star-lord

28 40.00%
  • Thor

0 0%
  • Dr. Strange

1 1.43%
  • Iron Man

0 0%
  • Gamora

1 1.43%
  • Cap and the others

0 0%
  • Thanos

25 35.71%
  • Everyone is to blame

3 4.29%
  • No one

12 17.14%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Here is an article that may or may not help shed some light on things: https://screenrant.com/avengers-infi...cter-mistakes/.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnFillory View Post
    Here is an article that may or may not help shed some light on things: https://screenrant.com/avengers-infi...cter-mistakes/.
    I stopped reading at "didn't live up to the hype." Eyeroll

I blame the writers of the movie. I wouldn't blame anyone else, either real or fictional. I wouldn't blame the Avengers, Star Lord, or any of the other heroes for what happened in Infinity War. The heroes were trying to save the universe...and the heroes lost against an incredibly powerful evil foe because the screenwriters wrote the movie script that way. I don't blame the victims.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Star Lord for acting like a little bitch 200%.

He only had to hold his **** together for 5 minutes til the gauntlet was off. Couldn't even do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Star Lord for acting like a little bitch 200%.

He only had to hold his **** together for 5 minutes til the gauntlet was off. Couldn't even do that.
    Like I said, I wouldn't blame Star Lord for what the filmmakers wrote in the movie script. Star Lord was just as much a victim of the film script as any other heroic character in the movie. I don't blame the victims.

Spectacular Member

It's clearly Thanos.

Certainly, Quill made a mistake, but that doesn't suddenly make it his fault. I do feel like they made it a bit too blatant of a mistake though.

Ultimate Member

Kinda wonder why Tony didn't just blast/stun Star Lord though, instead of restraining him.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shriveling_memo View Post
    Starlord and Scarlet witch and Doctor strange. The battle Doctor strange and Thanos should of been more epic and he should of just done more. An he most knew starlord would mess up. Starlord is a fool but that's his character. Scarlet watch, well she should of killed vision sooner but if thanos has the time stone he just reply the moment, so not really here. Doctor strange and starlord mostly at fault
    Star Lord was smart enough to come up with the plan that almost worked until he had a brain explosion. Agree that the time stone renders all previous victories moot.

I notice nobody is blaming Eitri for forging the gauntlet, but of the actual list Star Lord screwed the pooch the hardest.

Quote Originally Posted by Melwicker View Post
    Like I said, I wouldn't blame Star Lord for what the filmmakers wrote in the movie script. Star Lord was just as much a victim of the film script as any other heroic character in the movie. I don't blame the victims.
    So you don't blame any villain for doing evil things because ypthats how they are written?

No. Within the context of the story, blame and praise are determined by the characters actions. Quill made a dumb ass mistake. The writers decided that's reasonable for him to do.
    Last edited by brettc1; 06-27-2018 at 11:19 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnFillory View Post
    I recently read an article where Chris Pratt had to defend Star-lord's actions toward the end of Infinity War, where he lost it on Thanos over Gamora's death and screwed up his own plan and leading to Thanos's win. Apparently, fans were going as far as to blame the actor for what his character did, and that is insane. Pratt is just an actor, he has literally no control over what his character does.

However, this debate over whose fault it was that Thanos was victorious is still going on, and I don't think there will ever be a real answer to it. People can blame Star-lord, or Thor for not chopping his head off, or Dr. Strange, or Iron Man, or the other Avengers forever and ever. It doesn't matter, Thanos still won. Heck, I'll even go as far as to just blame Thanos. He is the bad guy, after all. He was the one who started this whole thing in the first place. Also, he was simply too powerful in the end for everyone to handle (look what happened when Wanda killed Vision; he just brought him back to take the stone). This is usually the case when people go up against a threat they have never dealt with before.
    The thing is, Thanos hasn't won yet.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

That's silly.

If you disregard all of the failures of a character because they're being controlled by a writer, but form your opinion based on their personality and positive behaviours (also controlled by a writer) then you've got no reason to like a character if you can't accept they aren't real making their own choices.

And Star Lord made a choice in context of the movie, to behave like an emotionally stunted idiot putting his own feelings and drama ahead of the literal universe.

That's silly.

If you disregard all of the failures of a character because they're being controlled by a writer, but form your opinion based on their personality and positive behaviours (also controlled by a writer) then you've got no reason to like a character if you can't accept they aren't real making their own choices.

And Star Lord made a choice in context of the movie, to behave like an emotionally stunted idiot putting his own feelings and drama ahead of the literal universe.
    Emotionaly stunted idiot is part of Star Lords charm. He fucked up big time and it's also 100% In character. He also pulled the trigger earlier In the movie. So he's emotionaly stunted sure but yes also loyal and brave. Hes suppose to be flawed all of the guradian are severely flawed its they're thing. But I agree its dumb to blame the writer in films. In the comics sure because character have a long history and some writers will ignore and **** on it. But not the films
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 06-28-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Extraordinary Member

That's silly.

Disagree. There was no choice here. Quill didn't think, he reacted. I agree he was at fault but I don't agree that it was a conscious choice.

That's silly.

Hey, you guys blamed the filmmakers when they had Superman kill Zod in Man of Steel. You guys even went so far as wanting the DCEU rebooted and the filmmakers replaced. Why judge me for blaming the screenwriters for what happened in Infinity War?

I blame the creator of Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet for creating an unbeatable all-powerful foe.

I am just saying that it is not the fault of the characters for being defeated by a Villainous Mary Sue. And Thanos WAS a villainous Mary Sue.

I do find it funny that Star-Lord has 19 votes to Gamorra's 1. Didn't she crack and lead Thanos to a stone herself?

The failure to stop Thanos was a group effort. Of course, if the collected stones are so powerful, couldn't he have just snapped his fingers and doubled the resources as opposed to eliminating half of all life?

Hey, you guys blamed the filmmakers when they had Superman kill Zod in Man of Steel. You guys even went so far as wanting the DCEU rebooted and the filmmakers replaced. Why judge me for blaming the screenwriters for what happened in Infinity War?

I blame the creator of Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet for creating an unbeatable all-powerful foe.

I am just saying that it is not the fault of the characters for being defeated by a Villainous Mary Sue. And Thanos WAS a villainous Mary Sue.
    Why would people be against superman killing zod? it's a darker take on the character and killing him was the only way to save lives. thats not a jump the shark writing moment, thats a sound logical decision that fans hate because it doesn't match up with the idealistic non murderous solution they always expect of superman.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Disagree. There was no choice here. Quill didn't think, he reacted. I agree he was at fault but I don't agree that it was a conscious choice.
    i don't agree, even finding out devasting news like that doesn't negate your ability to see the big picture.