Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Daken: Sell Me on this Characther

I made no secret that i dislike Wolverine's son, also known as Daken Akihiro, but i'm going to be fair my only expirience reading him come from Way's Dark Wolverine from the time when he was working for Norman Osborn and apperances in Logan's ongoings

So as the tittle say, what is his appeal?, why do you like him beyond being Logan's spawn?, is there anthything about him that make him different for other Wolverine villains like Creed?

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Not even sure what his appeal is except he would make a great villain for his 'sister'.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I made no secret that i dislike Wolverine's son, also known as Daken Akihiro, but i'm going to be fair my only expirience reading him come from Way's Dark Wolverine from the time when he was working for Norman Osborn and apperances in Logan's ongoings

So as the tittle say, what is his appeal?, why do you like him beyond being Logan's spawn?, is there anthything about him that make him different for other Wolverine villains like Creed?
    Tom Taylor de-clawed him. But when I read about his older incarnation. Under Bendis and Liue he seemed to have this 'the-rules-don't-apply-to-me'. Devil may care attitude about him. Daken's essentially a sociopath with Daddy issues. I was never a fan of the character, but I liked his 'down with the man!' or anti-societal conventions that he gave off. He's like one of those anarchists who show up to anti G7 riots to wreak havoc and make a little cash. I found it entertaining.

He's a mixed race bisexual character in a franchise about minorities that's normally consisted of straight white characters, that's enough for most people. jk. But his two solos written by Way/Liu were good/decent most of the time, I think.

BANNED

A Characther created by a trash panda.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

He's a Wolverine? No?

A sociopath with some goodness deep down? Hmmm. No, we already had Creed for that. lol

His brotherly relationship with Laura & Gabby, and how they love + defend him despite being disgusting? No, there too?

I got nothing.

Don't see the need for Daken. Along with the other 6 or 7 Wolverine knock-offs we now have. I can't see Daken as anything other than a knock off of Creed, who gets better treatment because he's a Wolverine.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 06-10-2018 at 05:22 PM.

BANNED

You see, to appreciate Daken you don't need to like the character per se. It's about the chance that, whenever he shows up, you have the opportunity of seeing someone beat the living shit out of him. Maybe drowning him in a puddle was excessive? Maybe. But after that, we saw him
    - Getting the hell beat out of him by his dad, who finally realized it wasn't his fault that Daken became what he was;
    - Got his arm ripped of, TWICE;
    - Was frozen with a kiss;
    And there might be more stuff I'm forgetting. Point is, every time Akihiro appears, I just know he'll be in some way or another, beaten or belittled. The exception being X-Blue, but Bunn's writing is so entertaining I completely overlook it. So no, he's not the best villain, character or even foil for his father, but he's good to hate and see getting shat on. Not sure if there's redemption for him, but who knows, even that might be fun.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I don't find Daken ultra appealing at all myself but I suppose he has a weird set of claws that accentuate his personality of "chaos"

His tatts help with that also

He has a sort of weird flowing fighting style

His pheromone ability adds to the sort of , well, "rapey" aspect of him but it also makes him a bit more intimidating or sort of "spy like" or "stealthy" of a fighter compared with normal Wolverine or X-23 or Sabretooth

I have to admit if you consider the stuff he's done in the past, the very fact he is allowed to participate as an "X-Man" in BLUE is truly amazing. I'm not complaining about it either, I 100% believe in seeing new sides to characters traditionally viewed only one way. But, yeah, considering the pushback Magneto and Emma Frost get...? But we have Daken now as a protagonist? I mean wow. Just wish folks would get over the "villain" label on the aforementioned two
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 06-10-2018 at 05:17 PM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Him getting shat on is great?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Abductor View Post
    Him getting shat on is great?
    I can see the pleasure of seeing him in pain, dude's a dick after all (to put it lightly), who doesn't deserve much sympathy, like when Norman Osborn gets beaten by Spider-Man .

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

I can see the pleasure of seeing him in pain, dude's a dick after all (to put it lightly), who doesn't deserve much sympathy, like when Norman Osborn gets beaten by Spider-Man.
    I may be cockily pushing it, but I enjoyed seeing him as the supposed butt-monkey in Claws of A Killer.

He's the one of the trio who acts like a brat, and he's the first casualty
    RCO022.jpg

But still 3 chapters to go. Who knows what'll happen by then. X-23 & Gabby may show up, and together the 3 Wolverine cubs triple-team Yuriko & Creed.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

If I'm honest, I really liked Daken. . . during Dark Reign. So that was my expectation of the character. If I think about him ostensibly I'd think "this guys trolling", but he's actually doing it brilliantly.
    He's an inversion of wolverine's masculinity, and his "moral" code, this guy shows up and makes EVERYONE question their sexuality with pheromone manipulation. His interactions with "Gorgon/Venom"; the "human torch";
    and honestly even Ares was damned funny, hes served to keep everyone on edge, and was a master manipulator who was actually immune to telepathy so he couldn't get "cheated out" so to speak on his machinations.

Here you have character whose true power lies in "Out witting" everyone as well NOT just out fighting them (but he could do that too), inheritor of a rather insane legacy and whose prime motivator is power, who got a taste of power
    being one of Earth's Mightiest Heroes for a year, and friends with the fantastic 4, PERFECT for being a big bad, Crime lord, or at least a major player in the Marvel universe....

Then dark reign ended.
    They moved his characterization back to "whine about dad" to chase dads coat tails... silly stuff about Romulus, establish his "relationship" to the clone (which really... could have been done way better and in his favor)
    Then the writers moved him to L.A. where he got hooked on "heat" a plot devices drug that beats healing factors... and really I lost interest after that.
    I picked it up and scanned it, I'd follow it in previews, but the writer in my opinion didn't do the character justice but MORESO didn't understand that people following a character in that characters SOLO BOOK, overwhelmingly do so to
    see the the character win or dare I say GROW. I picked up that solo and ... I remember my brother liked him and started picking up the book, but he said... "Damn, I'm not gonna keep paying to see a character I like get thrashed ever issue".

this in the wiki
    Liu described him as someone who is confident in his own abilities and superiority, despite never having actually tested them "on the world stage". But since taking up the mantle of Wolverine means being in the public eye, he gets to "live a little and spread his wings [and] face the fact that there are people just a bit better at the game than him....
    On whether Daken joining the Dark Avengers means he's being redeemed or not, Liu stated that in order for someone to want to achieve redemption, they first need to believe they've committed an act that requires atonement, and Daken doesn't feel any guilt for his past actions.[6] She also described him as elegant, preferring to use his brains over his brawn. She further stated that Daken is unable to form meaningful relationships, with the ones he does form being based on how he can use the people around him. His father is the one exception, who manages to "ruffle his emotions".[8]"
    The first part translated to "Daken fails at everything after the dark avengers", the second in practice was "He never gets over his daddy issues, and transfers some of them to x-23 imho"
    So he basically went from a guy poised to be super dangerous, essentially able to become the "Kingpin" at a minimum where ever he went, while pretending to be a hero to... well... a 3rd tier putz that almost everyone hates
    Except for his sexuality for which he's loved, but critical analysis illustrates he's not really bi or pan or whatever his interest is power and control, he's a violent manipulative, brilliant...sociopath or psychopath. Sure he'll sleep with you but...
    "You think I care? We're all just meat" -Black manta should have always been his secret position on things while he's accepting love and awards and playing the good guy.

The best way for him to defeat wolverine would have been to keep "winning" and doing bad things dressed as wolverine and all the while his response to both Wolverine AND X-23 should have been

"Dad... Sis, please get out of my office, the security for this building are all actual off duty police officers, and I'd hate to see you got to jail..."
    and Not...
    RAWR I'm gonna KILL YOU!!!!
    Instead of fighting them hire a mutant bodyguard whose sole job is teleport melee guys away a (neo vanisher if you will), or hell have Mr.Fantastic design smart system that does just that, and have logan served with ACTUAL back child
    support papers and require a DNA test if he wants to be trolling.

I have trouble selling you on a character that has suffered such a regression over the years. I like him, he lived the perfect "blueprint for a bastard" and he has potential but it was never really reached, he could have been a real player and IF YOU WANTED to read a book about an unrepentant bad guy then he would have been the perfect fit "If you want that" alot of people don't but then its what we say about different target audience all the time.

Daken was supposed to be Mordred + Christian Grey + Sabertooth...

... but instead they chose to drown him in a puddle. ymmv.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 06-10-2018 at 05:43 PM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

I didn't like him until he was the Dark Avengers' Wolverine. I like that he's an evil Wolverine alternative who isn't as trashy as Sabretooth.

Spectacular Member Wolvie valley's Avatar

His A villian and also great at it. his still in the infamous house of Wolverine but Logan has his 2 daughters as source of pride. He dosen't like Daken one bit and who can blame him. Daken is a vicious villian.

Logan however is the mentor of his daughters. They are mentally on the right side and on their way to becoming heroes

Last edited by Wolvie valley; 06-10-2018 at 07:35 PM.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I didn't like him until he was the Dark Avengers' Wolverine. I like that he's an evil Wolverine alternative who isn't as trashy as Sabretooth.
    I agree with this. The perfect fit for him is being the black king of the hellfire club, except based out of LA and Vegas, and where as Wolverine is many times portrayed as an honorable Samurai Berserker and in touch with the wild. Daikin, should be a depraved predator in touch with the post of modern civilization. Reading a book about him should be like reading the best book about Lex Luthor.

Wolverine has his daughters but he should also have a son that he's not proud of and would stop if you could... But he should not be able to through hook or crook, because while Dakin could theoretically out fight him or not... The entire goal is to deny Wolverine that fight unless it's a certain win and an embarrassing one at that.

More importantly the more Wolverine chases him down the more it should look like he's the bad one, coming in late trying to be a dad when he never was, portrayed by Dakin as father that is after him now that he's found legitimate success excetera excetera.

Meanwhile he's actually a high tier power broker involved in lots of things, but he still gets invited to Fantastic Four gatherings and meetings with the Avengers because everyone thinks he's a good guy and that's his cover
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 06-10-2018 at 07:45 PM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.