Page 133 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134 LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 1999
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    One thing that I hope to see addressed in the Batman/Catwoman series is that a "we're married in our hearts" is still not actually a true, full commitment from Bruce. I understand King's POV on it -- his vow to Selina is as important to him as his vow to his parents -- but, to really demonstrate that he fully trusts Selina, I think it is important for the marriage to be binding in a more material way.

There's a really interesting angle to it, because Selina is... a thief. So, Bruce would be making himself incredibly vulnerable by trusting her completely by getting married legally, maybe even with no pre-nup. Does he trust her with half of his immense fortune? A full marriage partnership would mean fully sharing the assets. It would be interesting to see that explored on the page.
    In real life with partners who live together, it basically is a marriage. It's not like people don't accept that as real nowadays- but I'll be curious if with Tynion's run (however brief), he really is treating it like a marriage with Selina living with him in the mansion and everything, like she was when they were engaged (it sounds like she probably is, esp with Alfred gone, and with that solicit saying that Bruce Wayne is no longer a playboy, etc).

Although...I'm guessing no one will ever address this, but I assume they're going to retcon the fact that everyone knows Selina Kyle is Catwoman? Because if Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle are publicly together, then that means he's dating Catwoman and everyone knows that? And if everyone also knows that Batman and Catwoman are a couple, then, how exactly would it not be obvious that Bruce is Batman?
    Last edited by lilyrose; 12-24-2019 at 05:27 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    In real life with partners who live together, it basically is a marriage. It's not like people don't accept that as real nowadays- but I'll be curious if with Tynion's run (however brief), he really is treating it like a marriage with Selina living with him in the mansion and everything, like she was when they were engaged (it sounds like she probably is, esp with Alfred gone, and with that solicit saying that Bruce Wayne is no longer a playboy, etc).

Although...I'm guessing no one will ever address this, but I assume they're going to retcon the fact that everyone knows Selina Kyle is Catwoman? Because if Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle are publicly together, then that means he's dating Catwoman and everyone knows that? And if everyone also knows that Batman and Catwoman are a couple, then, how exactly would it not be obvious that Bruce is Batman?
    Her secret ID does need a retcon, or some kind of convenient mindwipe like Dick Grayson's secret ID.

But yeah that's the main difference between a boyfriend/girlfriend living together and being married is the assets are legally shared. To most real-life partners, there's not usually a huge disparity in wealth between the two, but in this case, there's some storytelling opportunities if they choose to take it.

I suspect it will be explored in Batman/Catwoman. Because in a certain sense, Selina Kyle having full claim to half of the Wayne fortune is truly her biggest score. It also would've made sense to include that as an element of doubt whispered to Selina in 50, like, "do you totally trust your own motivations here?"

BANNED

Was excited when it was announced but as it went on I saw King lacks the ability to catch my attention, his stories aren’t cohesive and worse often they make no sense or rather things about them go no where.

Snyder was a tough act to follow

Incredible Member

Random thought.

I think the run would've been a little better overall if KGBeast had sniped Gordon instead of Nightwing, everything else being the same.

Gordon only factors in the story again in The Tyrant Wing but he's notably absent in City Of Bane, and the story arc of his falling out with Batman isn't resolved. Gordon's absence from City Of Bane stands out because Gordon is the one legal representative from the city, what he's doing during this time period isn't addressed. So if Gordon goes down instead, it makes it easier for the status quo of "City of Bane" to fit in easily.

Gordon & Alfred both being fatherly figures to Bruce would make more sense for Thomas. He's eliminating the competition to get his warped message through.

It also saves us from Ric Grayson and allows Dick to be present for the Bat-Family stuff in City Of Bane... you could basically slot him alongside Tim in COB.

Random thought.

I think the run would've been a little better overall if KGBeast had sniped Gordon instead of Nightwing, everything else being the same.

Gordon only factors in the story again in The Tyrant Wing but he's notably absent in City Of Bane, and the story arc of his falling out with Batman isn't resolved. Gordon's absence from City Of Bane stands out because Gordon is the one legal representative from the city, what he's doing during this time period isn't addressed. So if Gordon goes down instead, it makes it easier for the status quo of "City of Bane" to fit in easily.

Gordon & Alfred both being fatherly figures to Bruce would make more sense for Thomas. He's eliminating the competition to get his warped message through.

It also saves us from Ric Grayson and allows Dick to be present for the Bat-Family stuff in City Of Bane... you could basically slot him alongside Tim in COB.
    It all depends on the exact timing of when everything was planned, but I think it's possible that they may have vetoed him letting anything really drastic happen to Gordon because of what Snyder was doing in The Batman Who Laughs. Which also might have been the reason why he was a non-entity in City Of Bane, cause of the Infected stuff that was going on with him at the time.

We do know that all the Ric Grayson stuff was something DC themselves thought about doing after the fact, and King just assumed he would've been temporarily put out of commission before coming back again, so really anything could've gone.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Random thought.

Well, Gordon is out of City of Bane because of Batman Who Laughs/The Infected Secret Six storyline. But there's no reason he couldn't have been the one who got shot.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    It all depends on the exact timing of when everything was planned, but I think it's possible that they may have vetoed him letting anything really drastic happen to Gordon because of what Snyder was doing in The Batman Who Laughs. Which also might have been the reason why he was a non-entity in City Of Bane, cause of the Infected stuff that was going on with him at the time.

We do know that all the Ric Grayson stuff was something DC themselves thought about doing after the fact, and King just assumed he would've been temporarily put out of commission before coming back again, so really anything could've gone.
    Haha, beat me to it.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Re-reading Tom King's run from the beginning. Just finished "I Am Gotham" and wow, it's even better than I'd remembered. Right out of the gate, it's an adrenaline rush, but a character-driven one. You get a real sense of just how thoroughly decent a person Bruce really is. The way he inspires others to overcome their fear. He works well with others and he's willing to unmask in front of Claire to help her deal with the trauma of her brother's death.

And as much as I enjoyed reading it as a monthly, I think it reads so much better in one sitting.

And I have teared up in several parts (notably, the epilogue issue).

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Re-reading Tom King's run from the beginning. Just finished "I Am Gotham" and wow, it's even better than I'd remembered. Right out of the gate, it's an adrenaline rush, but a character-driven one. You get a real sense of just how thoroughly decent a person Bruce really is. The way he inspires others to overcome their fear. He works well with others and he's willing to unmask in front of Claire to help her deal with the trauma of her brother's death.

And as much as I enjoyed reading it as a monthly, I think it reads so much better in one sitting.

And I have teared up in several parts (notably, the epilogue issue).
    I am hoping to enjoy the first half a bit more - as I've said, I didn't really fall for King's series until #32, and really invested after #50. I think my current plan is to start my reread next week, when we have to shutter all the old threads.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I am hoping to enjoy the first half a bit more - as I've said, I didn't really fall for King's series until #32, and really invested after #50. I think my current plan is to start my reread next week, when we have to shutter all the old threads.
    I loved it the first time around, but there are bigger payoffs when you know what's coming later. King established so much early on that I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I loved it the first time around, but there are bigger payoffs when you know what's coming later. King established so much early on that I missed.
    That is always the case, with King. So many things seem to be one thing, but when revealed in the context of the ending, they are something else.

Here in Ontario we have been on a lockdown for about a month now (our third in a year) I decided to read Mr Miracle and have been reading Strange Adventures, Rorschach and bat/cat.

I decided to go back and 're read his run. I still feel a lot of the same things but the nuance of his other work has helped me understand his deconstruction a bit more. I was lucky my comic shop at all five of the deluxe editions for 20 bucks buy two get one free so I got the whole run aside from what would be book six (is there plans for a deluxe six?) And I think it hit different this time. Having been exhausted from all this covid and watching the world fall apart in ways I never thought I'd see. I could see through batmans eyes easier. There are still things I don't like but the stuff I have grown to like I really fucking like it.

I think this is a run a lot of people didint get. I also think time will be friendly to this run. I know I keep being pulled into it. I still haven't read monster men or Elmer fudd. I , well I'm finding in my life I'm 're evaluating a lot of things. perhaps I'm just going crazy or having a mid life crisis (I'm 40). It's been a weird few years ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    Here in Ontario we have been on a lockdown for about a month now (our third in a year) I decided to read Mr Miracle and have been reading Strange Adventures, Rorschach and bat/cat.

I decided to go back and 're read his run. I still feel a lot of the same things but the nuance of his other work has helped me understand his deconstruction a bit more. I was lucky my comic shop at all five of the deluxe editions for 20 bucks buy two get one free so I got the whole run aside from what would be book six (is there plans for a deluxe six?) And I think it hit different this time. Having been exhausted from all this covid and watching the world fall apart in ways I never thought I'd see. I could see through batmans eyes easier. There are still things I don't like but the stuff I have grown to like I really fucking like it.

I think this is a run a lot of people didint get. I also think time will be friendly to this run. I know I keep being pulled into it. I still haven't read monster men or Elmer fudd. I , well I'm finding in my life I'm 're evaluating a lot of things. perhaps I'm just going crazy or having a mid life crisis (I'm 40). It's been a weird few years ha.
    Really glad to hear people are revisiting King's Batman! I also hope that in retrospect, King's run will be more appreciated - I think even with the destructive meddling by editorial, there's still so much good in the work.

It's been a while, but I want to know opinions of Batman/Catwoman from people who mostly enjoyed Tom King's run in Batman. I took a pause from the character and floppies, but I now have HBO Max and I'm watching again the amazing Batman TAS; plus, the first three issues of Batman/Catwoman are arriving soon to my country in spanish, so I was thinking in giving the series a try. Is it worth it?
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    It's been a while, but I want to know opinions of Batman/Catwoman from people who mostly enjoyed Tom King's run in Batman. I took a pause from the character and floppies, but I now have HBO Max and I'm watching again the amazing Batman TAS; plus, the first three issues of Batman/Catwoman are arriving soon to my country in spanish, so I was thinking in giving the series a try. Is it worth it?
    I'm enjoying it quite a bit! It's not quite at the level of power as the main Batman run for me, but I love the extrapolation into the future it takes, and the art by both Mann and Sharp is wonderful. Definitely give it a try!