Page 79 of 105 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1574
  1. #1171
    Astonishing Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,822

    Default

    since we are just speculating here, what if it's that original character King created in that arc arc with wonder woman? I hardly remember him, but I remember King saying he would show up again.

  2. #1172
    Astonishing Member Korath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    3,123

    Default

    The Gentle Man certainly has the ability to fight to be a good replacement for Batman on the physical side, but as he demonstrated any ability to seek out clues and motives ? After all, he fights endlessly against a horde of monster more than he seeks the guilty.

    He had the mental fortitude, however, that's for sure.

  3. #1173
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I feel like no matter if this happens or not, I don't know how much it would be effected or built up in King's run, because even though he may have initially pitched up the concept, there's nothing really in his work at all that would appear to be heading in this direction.

    You could look through other books, like New Rorsarch, Duke, Black Lightning, etc., and can see where that would go, but there's nothing in King's work that indicates that's where he's headed.

    And when it comes to information like this through BC, its best to take some of it with a grain of salt. They were the ones who broke the him leaving Batman story, while also incorrectly stating he was fired.
    That's not true. BC never said he was fired they just said that Harras didn't like what he was doing on Batman and moved him off the title.

    We don't know if that is true or not since we don't have a statement from Harras. We know King is working on New Gods but that doesn't explain why he had to leave Batman.

    Point is we have no reason to assume that part was a lie. We have no evidence. But we all know he is off Batman as they reported so this new story could be legit.

    A post on Reddit a bout 3 weeks ago from a fan who spoke to Tomasi at a con stated that when asked if he's interested in taking over after King the writer said maybe after the writer that followed King but not directly. Siting too controversial or something along those lines.

    While I don't see the idea of a black Batman remotely controversial this could be what he was hinting at. Depending on the direction the story plans to go and with how shallow, misguided and insensitive HIC was. Lord knows what they mean by A Black Batman and the public reaction to it.

    If this story is legit might explain why King had to leave the Title. A white guy writing about the public's reaction to a black Batman is a delicate issue.
    Last edited by dietrich; 09-03-2019 at 04:43 AM.

  4. #1174
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    703

    Default

    I kind of doubt that BC rumor has anything to do with King's run. I'd say it's 50/50 on being a Snyder idea (spinning out of JL) or a Bendis/new Batman writer idea (that's part of the pitch to take over the title). It hardly fits into what we know of what King is doing (ending the Bane/Thomas story, setting up Bat/Cat + Phantasm). I mean, unless BatCat 12 ends with Bruce retiring and someone randomly appearing as Batman in the final panel and he's handing off the character to someone else . . .
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

  5. #1175
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I kind of doubt that BC rumor has anything to do with King's run. I'd say it's 50/50 on being a Snyder idea (spinning out of JL) or a Bendis/new Batman writer idea (that's part of the pitch to take over the title). It hardly fits into what we know of what King is doing (ending the Bane/Thomas story, setting up Bat/Cat + Phantasm). I mean, unless BatCat 12 ends with Bruce retiring and someone randomly appearing as Batman in the final panel and he's handing off the character to someone else . . .
    He might retire then come back once he's has his confidence back and isn't suffering so much emotional turmoil .

    Society's response to a Black Batman doesn't sound like a Synder pitch at all.
    Last edited by dietrich; 09-03-2019 at 05:10 AM.

  6. #1176
    Astonishing Member Inversed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,771

    Default

    I guess the Gentle Man could work, I do think it would feel a bit jarring to suddenly have him be the main focus after such a short initial appearance, and that doesn't seem like where things are going with his intentions, but things chance, my perception on where the run is headed has completely flipped after the last 2 issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    That's not true. BC never said he was fired they just said that Harras didn't like what he was doing on Batman and moved him off the title.

    We don't know if that is true or not since we don't have a statement from Harras. We know King is working on New Gods but that doesn't explain why he had to leave Batman.

    Point is we have no reason to assume that part was a lie. We have no evidence. But we all know he is off Batman as they reported so this new story could be legit.
    He did explain why he left, in the interview right after Bat/Cat was announced, he said he couldn't do a double shipping Batman book while also writing New Gods, his secret TV show, and the Adam Strange book at the same time, so they settled for making it a 12-issue monthly. And the reasoning for giving him his own book rather than using #86-97 was so that they could not only get the sales bump of having two high profile Batman books at once without actually double shipping, but that there's gonna be a "big Batman event" for 2021 and they need him to be in a certain spot for then, so presumably the main Batman book will be a long setup for whatever that new story or status quo will be (maybe that's what the black Batman is for).
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Sonic The Hedgehog, Absolute Carnage, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, Gwenpool Strikes Back, Runaways, The White Trees

  7. #1177
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Another gimmick that just wont work and DC wonders why Batman sales are in a downward spiral. King is horrible and a hack and should be replaced and a gimmick to replace Batman is just stupid. Im all for having more heroes of color but stop taking lazy route and create some new great characters. Bruce will always be Batman and we all know eventually he will return

  8. #1178
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I guess the Gentle Man could work, I do think it would feel a bit jarring to suddenly have him be the main focus after such a short initial appearance, and that doesn't seem like where things are going with his intentions, but things chance, my perception on where the run is headed has completely flipped after the last 2 issues.



    He did explain why he left, in the interview right after Bat/Cat was announced, he said he couldn't do a double shipping Batman book while also writing New Gods, his secret TV show, and the Adam Strange book at the same time, so they settled for making it a 12-issue monthly. And the reasoning for giving him his own book rather than using #86-97 was so that they could not only get the sales bump of having two high profile Batman books at once without actually double shipping, but that there's gonna be a "big Batman event" for 2021 and they need him to be in a certain spot for then, so presumably the main Batman book will be a long setup for whatever that new story or status quo will be (maybe that's what the black Batman is for).
    Do you have the link to this interview where he said he had all those things because as ai recall he only mentioned the New Gods as the reason.

    Which made it strange since Batman is going monthly and then much later he accepted the extra work on Strange. I would really like the link please where he gives all those reasons. Thanks.

  9. #1179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Another gimmick that just wont work and DC wonders why Batman sales are in a downward spiral. King is horrible and a hack and should be replaced and a gimmick to replace Batman is just stupid. Im all for having more heroes of color but stop taking lazy route and create some new great characters. Bruce will always be Batman and we all know eventually he will return
    From the first post of this thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    a place for people to talk about the book which isn't just a bunch of "King is a hack" "I hate this" "A new low for this book" etc.
    Last Read: Justice League Odyssey vol. 1: The Ghost Sector
    Monthly Pull List: Action Comics, Batman, Daredevil, Detective Comics, Doomsday Clock, Event Leviathan, The Flash, Flash Forward, Ghost Rider, Kick-Ass, Legion of Superheroes, Lois Lane, Runaways, Shazam!, Supergirl, Superman, Young Justice

  10. #1180
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Another gimmick that just wont work and DC wonders why Batman sales are in a downward spiral. King is horrible and a hack and should be replaced and a gimmick to replace Batman is just stupid. Im all for having more heroes of color but stop taking lazy route and create some new great characters. Bruce will always be Batman and we all know eventually he will return
    Batman titles seem to be doing fine . I mean BWL has had ridiculous sales but it is good to see none batman titles like Dceased clean up.

    Well King has been replaced sop that's one problem solved. Only a few more more issue to go. In the mean time there's tec, White Knight, Batman vs Ra's, Batman/Superman, Last Knight and more to keep fans entertained
    Last edited by dietrich; 09-03-2019 at 08:13 AM.

  11. #1181
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Do you have the link to this interview where he said he had all those things because as ai recall he only mentioned the New Gods as the reason.

    Which made it strange since Batman is going monthly and then much later he accepted the extra work on Strange. I would really like the link please where he gives all those reasons. Thanks.
    King went into details here: https://wordballoon.blogspot.com/201...-new-gods.html

    There was another podcast where he gave basically the same explanation, but I can't remember it right now.

    One of the other reasons, I think, is King has embraced what I've been saying since he started on Batman - he's incredible at 12 issue miniseries. He's not really that great on monthly titles where he has to juggle so many more things.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews

  12. #1182
    Astonishing Member Inversed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Do you have the link to this interview where he said he had all those things because as ai recall he only mentioned the New Gods as the reason.

    Which made it strange since Batman is going monthly and then much later he accepted the extra work on Strange. I would really like the link please where he gives all those reasons. Thanks.
    This is the interview where he talks about most of this: https://ew.com/books/2019/06/13/batm...omic-tom-king/

    It was also before the Adam Strange book was officially revealed, but we did already know him and Gerads had been planning the new project since Mister Miracle ended, so they've known about it for a while.
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Sonic The Hedgehog, Absolute Carnage, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, Gwenpool Strikes Back, Runaways, The White Trees

  13. #1183
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Batman titles seem to be doing fine . I mean BWL has had ridiculous sales but it is good to see none batman titles like Dceased clean up.

    Well King has been replaced sop that's one problem solved. Only a few more more issue to go. In the mean time there's tec, White Knight, Batman vs Ra's, Batman/Superman, Last Knight and more to keep fans entertained
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    From the first post of this thread:
    I've been trying to encourage members to not respond to people who come here to rag on King (though, as always, constructive criticism is welcome! We recently had an excellent conversation about The Gift here, where several members talked about why it worked AND why it didn't work for them), as that's much more effective in keeping the thread clean and open for positive, analytical discussion and enjoyment than arguing back and forth. If you are not a King fan at all, and agree with a comment like the one being responded to here, I would request that if possible you refrain from responding here, instead perhaps inviting that person to join the individual issue threads with their comments.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews

  14. #1184
    Reader of Stuff Hilden B. Lade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one
    Posts
    2,106

    Default

    https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status...53449567002624

    King confirms that one of the final issues of his run will be about Alfred.

    Feel free to speculate if this means Alfred will live or if DC will keep the butler dead a spell longer...

  15. #1185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status...53449567002624

    King confirms that one of the final issues of his run will be about Alfred.

    Feel free to speculate if this means Alfred will live or if DC will keep the butler dead a spell longer...
    Could be a eulogy type of thing. Or like when they did those issues when Damian died.
    Last Read: Justice League Odyssey vol. 1: The Ghost Sector
    Monthly Pull List: Action Comics, Batman, Daredevil, Detective Comics, Doomsday Clock, Event Leviathan, The Flash, Flash Forward, Ghost Rider, Kick-Ass, Legion of Superheroes, Lois Lane, Runaways, Shazam!, Supergirl, Superman, Young Justice

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •