Page 119 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 1991
  1. #1771
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    You mean the part where you said this?

    "I don't intend this as a wholly appreciative thread, either"
    Please stop contributing to this thread if you come here only to hate on the run, and refuse to read the entirety of the first post of the thread.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews

  2. #1772
    Astonishing Member Fergus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    2,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    I thought this was a really good issue, but I'm mad that the Bat/Cat book is being delayed so long, because this is going to feel so unfinished!

    Also, if what Thomas wanted was for Bruce to marry Selina, then why did he help Bane to split them up?
    Because like he said that was false. Bruce was manipulated into proposing remember. He wants Bruce to be happy which means that Bruce should be acting of his own free will, it has to be his decision. The irony of it all.

  3. #1773
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Because like he said that was false. Bruce was manipulated into proposing remember. He wants Bruce to be happy which means that Bruce should be acting of his own free will, it has to be his decision. The irony of it all.
    That's an excellent point.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews

  4. #1774
    Astonishing Member Fergus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    2,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenyxx1481 View Post
    Who would've thought living would be what breaks Thomas? What is that saying, "You either die a hero of live long enough to see yourself become the villain?" (I think its something like that.) He feels everything he has done since being dumped in this world is justified because as he told Bane "I know what is best for the boy." That's all he sees Bruce as, a rebellious child that didn't turn out the way he wanted him to. Bruce won't give up. He denied Thomas of the chance to bring back Martha and reunite the "family." I really don't know how one more issue is going to wrap this up, but can't wait to see it.

    I don't know what the plans are to do with Thomas once 85 wraps up, but I do hope he sticks around in some way or another. If we can have the Batman Who Laughs in this universe with no problems I don't see why not Flash Point Batman.
    Funny how both Thomas and Selina keep calling him a boy. At least when Selina does it it's kinda cute.

  5. #1775
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Funny how both Thomas and Selina keep calling him a boy. At least when Selina does it it's kinda cute.
    Well, I think that them both using "boy" is part of the David Mazzucchelli point, that Batman as originally conceived was a boy's fantasy, rather than a man. And I hope that King is going to do something to progress that, and not just leave it that way.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews

  6. #1776
    Astonishing Member Inversed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Because like he said that was false. Bruce was manipulated into proposing remember. He wants Bruce to be happy which means that Bruce should be acting of his own free will, it has to be his decision. The irony of it all.
    I don't think it being manipulated is the reason why he wanted to break it up, it was because Bruce was still planning to be Batman while married, and that's the thing Thomas wants more than ever to stop. Even in the issue he tells him to go off and marry Selina, but to throw off the cowl for good and leave the city to him.

    It's the twisted, crazy sense of father knows best, that you need to punish your son, break his toys, and make him more miserable, so that he can be happy "the right way."
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Sonic The Hedgehog, Absolute Carnage, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, Gwenpool Strikes Back, Runaways, The White Trees

  7. #1777
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Please stop contributing to this thread if you come here only to hate on the run, and refuse to read the entirety of the first post of the thread.
    It is my opinion on King's terrible run

  8. #1778
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    It is my opinion on King's terrible run
    "read the entirety of the first post of the thread": "But on the whole, I think there should be a place for people to talk about the book which isn't just a bunch of "King is a hack" "I hate this" "A new low for this book" etc."

    You came into the thread, posted exactly that, and are now surprised.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews

  9. #1779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I don't think it being manipulated is the reason why he wanted to break it up, it was because Bruce was still planning to be Batman while married, and that's the thing Thomas wants more than ever to stop. Even in the issue he tells him to go off and marry Selina, but to throw off the cowl for good and leave the city to him.

    It's the twisted, crazy sense of father knows best, that you need to punish your son, break his toys, and make him more miserable, so that he can be happy "the right way."
    Take him down to the "studs" to rebuild him better is what is my rational for BatDad.

    I hope King ends Thomas real good; because he is the anthesis of Bruce. Thomas is so weak that on multiple occasions he breaks his principles because of the people he lost: first Bruce, second Martha, and lastly Selina. Yet, Bruce has lost everything on multiple occasions and never broke and I love that King is totally play that up especially with "I'm still here"

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    It is my opinion on King's terrible run


    Go be an ass elsewhere, follow the thread rules.
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 12-05-2019 at 11:22 AM.

  10. #1780
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Take him down to the "studs" to rebuild him better is what is my rational for BatDad.

    I hope King ends Thomas real good; because he is the anthesis of Bruce. Thomas is so weak that on multiple occasions he breaks his principles because of the people he lost: first Bruce, second Martha, and lastly Selina. Yet, Bruce has lost everything on multiple occasions and never broke and I love that King is totally play that up especially with "I'm still here"
    While I pretty much agree with your response, the only reason I'm trying to communicate with the negative posters right now is that with the end of the run coming, I want it to be as clear as possible that this is not the thread for fights about whether the run sucks or not. I'm hoping that the message is clear now, and people who hate the run will go to the weekly threads, or create their own thread. Hopefully we can avoid getting dragged into arguments with people who miss the OP.

    I am very curious to see how BatDad goes out. I still think Nain Pit is the best, but it seems to be going in a different direction.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews

  11. #1781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    While I pretty much agree with your response, the only reason I'm trying to communicate with the negative posters right now is that with the end of the run coming, I want it to be as clear as possible that this is not the thread for fights about whether the run sucks or not. I'm hoping that the message is clear now, and people who hate the run will go to the weekly threads, or create their own thread. Hopefully we can avoid getting dragged into arguments with people who miss the OP.

    I am very curious to see how BatDad goes out. I still think Nain Pit is the best, but it seems to be going in a different direction.
    What other option is there other than death or getting zapped back before the heat death of the Flashpoint universe though?
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 12-05-2019 at 11:29 AM.

  12. #1782
    Incredible Member Chubistian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    What other option is there other than death or getting zapped back before the heat death of the Flashpoint universe though?
    I just don't want Thomas to follow a similar path to The Batman Who Laughs, where he becomes overexposed and I end up bored of him, or that he falls into the category of an irrelevant Bat-villain like what happened to Hush. I have liked the few times I've read something with the character (Knight of Vengeance, Flashpoint, despite not really enjoying the overall story, and the current Batman run), so I wouldn't want to become disenchanted with FP Batman
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

    "We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

  13. #1783
    Astonishing Member Fergus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    2,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I don't think it being manipulated is the reason why he wanted to break it up, it was because Bruce was still planning to be Batman while married, and that's the thing Thomas wants more than ever to stop. Even in the issue he tells him to go off and marry Selina, but to throw off the cowl for good and leave the city to him.

    It's the twisted, crazy sense of father knows best, that you need to punish your son, break his toys, and make him more miserable, so that he can be happy "the right way."
    He called it a false love in this or something along those lines which to me could only be in reference to it being orchestrated by Bane. It was Bane decision or will not Bruce's. He wants Bruce to make the decision to embrace happiness of his own free will.

    I believe he wants Bruce to choose a Happy Batman free life with selina himself. That makes it 'real' and reduces the chances of Bruce going back to his old lifestyle.
    so he's going to help him make him make that decision by punishing him, breaking his toys, and making him see how miserable being Batman is.

  14. #1784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I just don't want Thomas to follow a similar path to The Batman Who Laughs, where he becomes overexposed and I end up bored of him, or that he falls into the category of an irrelevant Bat-villain like what happened to Hush. I have liked the few times I've read something with the character (Knight of Vengeance, Flashpoint, despite not really enjoying the overall story, and the current Batman run), so I wouldn't want to become disenchanted with FP Batman
    Very good point; I was so interested in Batman Who Laughs in METAL, but now he is like the Joker himself. Like let's build his mystique a little before we start churning it out and for Hush Dini was the last writer that did anything good with him.

  15. #1785
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    783

    Default

    This is kind of tangential to the idea that Bruce was manipulated into proposing*: What happened in Arkham while Alfred was supposed to be monitoring Psycho Pirate's "healing" of Claire? There are four basic possibilities for Claire that I see:

    1. Claire was in on it from the beginning (including letting Psycho Pirate screw her up, having her parents killed, etc), so PP's healing in Arkham was merely part of the plot to restore her to her generally evil-ish self

    2. Claire is cured during I Am Bane, but Bane offers the opportunity to join him in return for the reveal in The Price, that her brother might be brought back

    3. At some point between I Am Bane and The Wedding, Claire is re-manipulated by Psycho Pirate off screen

    4. Alfred somehow failed in getting PP to heal Claire during I Am Bane.

    I don't entirely like any of these (3 and 4 happening offscreen is poor storytelling, 2 happened during a non-King story, and 1 just makes me sad for liking Claire so much in the beginning). Any other ideas?

    *Was Claire manipulating Bruce into proposing in 24 with their chat about happiness? If not, it's hard to imagine that Bane did something to take Bruce over the top on proposing (rather than it being something he did on his own or something he chose to do because of interacting with his dad in The Button).
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •