Page 91 of 134 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 1999

I didn't like this one as much as the rest of this storyarc, though I had a lot of fun reading it. JRJR's pencils are really to my liking, not always, but most of the time. I don't like the cover in this issue, but the interior is great. Kudos to inker and colorist. Now, to the script:

I think there're a lot of narrative choices that I don't like in a regular basis, but that they've been properly introduced for most of the run, so I think it's cohesive within itself so I don't have a problem with them. This gave me a strong Batman RIP vibe, because just like in that story, when Batman seems at the bottom, he actually is winning. The whole Venom stuff and Magpie involvement are fine explanations, and they made nods to previous details in the run that didn't look important back then. I was also satisfied with the twist in the finale of The Fall and the Fallen.

I didn't like Thomas beating the Batfamily in such a way that we don't see how he did it but that it's clear that he did it in a fist fight. It's a too impressive feat and, while I don't care much about power levels and I know Tom King doesn't either, it's too much of an stretch, though Thomas asking for a tea afterwards was badass af. I think if we were given more information about how he did win (gizmos or whatever) it would have worked better for me. I don't think in this case not showing anything of the confrontation, like what happened in I Am Bane when Bane defeated the three Robins, would have worked

I would have liked more foreshadowing or explanation in the twist involving Basil like when and how did he return to Batman's side (he did leave Tynion's run back to villainy or dead, right? I don't remember it too well). I haven't made my mind yet at the whole "communicating through blows". I think it fits the modern characterization of Batman and it doesn't leave him once again as someone who punches his sidekicks in an abusive manner, but it still feels as shock value like it did in Snyder's run when Batman punched Nightwing
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I didn't like this one as much as the rest of this storyarc, though I had a lot of fun reading it. JRJR's pencils are really to my liking, not always, but most of the time. I don't like the cover in this issue, but the interior is great. Kudos to inker and colorist. Now, to the script:

I think there're a lot of narrative choices that I don't like in a regular basis, but that they've been properly introduced for most of the run, so I think it's cohesive within itself so I don't have a problem with them. This gave me a strong Batman RIP vibe, because just like in that story, when Batman seems at the bottom, he actually is winning. The whole Venom stuff and Magpie involvement are fine explanations, and they made nods to previous details in the run that didn't look important back then. I was also satisfied with the twist in the finale of The Fall and the Fallen.

I didn't like Thomas beating the Batfamily in such a way that we don't see how he did it but that it's clear that he did it in a fist fight. It's a too impressive feat and, while I don't care much about power levels and I know Tom King doesn't either, it's too much of an stretch, though Thomas asking for a tea afterwards was badass af. I think if we were given more information about how he did win (gizmos or whatever) it would have worked better for me. I don't think in this case not showing anything of the confrontation, like what happened in I Am Bane when Bane defeated the three Robins, would have worked

I would have liked more foreshadowing or explanation in the twist involving Basil like when and how did he return to Batman's side (he did leave Tynion's run back to villainy or dead, right? I don't remember it too well). I haven't made my mind yet at the whole "communicating through blows". I think it fits the modern characterization of Batman and it doesn't leave him once again as someone who punches his sidekicks in an abusive manner, but it still feels as shock value like it did in Snyder's run when Batman punched Nightwing
    I didn't love Thomas beating the Batfamily, as I think it was too hasty, but I think it works in the sense that we're building to a confrontation between Batmen. I'm very curious what King's going to say thematically about it, because the point of this issue is that Batman can't win alone - and he expected his family to beat Thomas.

Tynion had Basil die when Kate shot him with the special gun, but he appeared alive at the very end of the run, leaving Gotham with Dr. October. I think it's implied that he wasn't necessarily going to be evil, but couldn't figure out how to be a pure hero. So I like this - it feels like a nod to Tynion's run, a respectful one.

The Tim punch thing got a lot more reaction from fans than I expected. But maybe that's because one of my first Batman comics that I remember is Bruce Wayne: Murderer, which has one of the worst versions of Batman punching a Robin ever. But the thing for me is that King, Snyder, Rucka/Brubaker - they're all riffing on the famous "Batman backhands Robin" panel, and trying to find their own way to make that panel meaningful in today's context. I'm inclined to like King's version best, for obvious reasons, but I think all of them are coming from roughly the same place.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I didn't love Thomas beating the Batfamily, as I think it was too hasty, but I think it works in the sense that we're building to a confrontation between Batmen. I'm very curious what King's going to say thematically about it, because the point of this issue is that Batman can't win alone - and he expected his family to beat Thomas.

Tynion had Basil die when Kate shot him with the special gun, but he appeared alive at the very end of the run, leaving Gotham with Dr. October. I think it's implied that he wasn't necessarily going to be evil, but couldn't figure out how to be a pure hero. So I like this - it feels like a nod to Tynion's run, a respectful one.

The Tim punch thing got a lot more reaction from fans than I expected. But maybe that's because one of my first Batman comics that I remember is Bruce Wayne: Murderer, which has one of the worst versions of Batman punching a Robin ever. But the thing for me is that King, Snyder, Rucka/Brubaker - they're all riffing on the famous "Batman backhands Robin" panel, and trying to find their own way to make that panel meaningful in today's context. I'm inclined to like King's version best, for obvious reasons, but I think all of them are coming from roughly the same place.
    I haven't read Bruce Wayne: Murderer or much of that time in Batman's history, I didn't know there was a case of Batman punching Robin in that one!

I think in a pure narrative way, the final confrontation between Batmen has been pretty well constructed, so I agree in that point and I like that Tom King has various themes that he touches and goes back to in his run

Well, then I guess Basil's apparition isn't out of place, thanks for the sum up of what happened with him in the end of Tynion's Tec run. I hope this is also a way of bringing Basil back as a secondary character and that Tynion uses him again in his upcoming Batman run
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I do think it's interesting we're basically heading into Batman and Bane going in a back-and-forth of "It was my plan all along", "Actually it was my plan all along", while Thomas sits back going "Actually it was my plan all along too." I don't think we're at that point yet, but I can see we're close to the bubble bursting if it goes a bit too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I haven't read Bruce Wayne: Murderer or much of that time in Batman's history, I didn't know there was a case of Batman punching Robin in that one!

I think in a pure narrative way, the final confrontation between Batmen has been pretty well constructed, so I agree in that point and I like that Tom King has various themes that he touches and goes back to in his run

Well, then I guess Basil's apparition isn't out of place, thanks for the sum up of what happened with him in the end of Tynion's Tec run. I hope this is also a way of bringing Basil back as a secondary character and that Tynion uses him again in his upcoming Batman run
    Yeah. Too many "Batman punches Robins", but as I said, I think I understand why they keep doing it. That one panel has outsized weight in the public consciousness.

I hope that Tynion touches Clayface again in his run, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I do think it's interesting we're basically heading into Batman and Bane going in a back-and-forth of "It was my plan all along", "Actually it was my plan all along", while Thomas sits back going "Actually it was my plan all along too." I don't think we're at that point yet, but I can see we're close to the bubble bursting if it goes a bit too far.
    I mentioned on another thread that it's all a bit "all according to keikaku", but I enjoy that every now and then. And it is a classic Batman trope, after all. Almost every run has included some ridiculously elaborate plans.

Given the November cover of Thomas pulling Bane's strings, I think the bubble will burst pretty soon indeed!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

one thing im a bit unsure of. Is Batman not risking Gotham Girl's life by denying her the super venom she needs. Is she just dying upstairs while the rest of the team were battering Thomas.

Someone else said in the other thread they think Thomas will have taken some of the super venom. I think that could be quite likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    one thing im a bit unsure of. Is Batman not risking Gotham Girl's life by denying her the super venom she needs. Is she just dying upstairs while the rest of the team were battering Thomas.

Someone else said in the other thread they think Thomas will have taken some of the super venom. I think that could be quite likely.
    I am not convinced that denying the super venom itself kills Claire. I think using it kills her. But the "life for powers" thing always seemed a bit too neat and symbolic for me to really grasp the physical, in universe mechanism.

Thomas taking some venom would be quite interesting, and would also fit with "Batman with the brakes off".

With only four issues left, I feel like their is alot of things we still need to find out!

anyone got any predictions how the think the last four issues will pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    With only four issues left, I feel like their is alot of things we still need to find out!

anyone got any predictions how the think the last four issues will pan out.
    Well, I didn't expect Clayface, so I'm personally expecting and hoping for more information on him.

I also think that Batman and Kite Man in a bar is gonna happen at some point, but it might be in Bat/Cat.

My own prediction about Thomas sacrificing himself to bring back Alfred in the Nain Pit is something I'm more and more convinced will happen in some format.

The big thing, for me, is "How will King have a conclusion which doesn't mean "Batman wins because he's better at punching.""

Well, I didn't expect Clayface, so I'm personally expecting and hoping for more information on him.

I also think that Batman and Kite Man in a bar is gonna happen at some point, but it might be in Bat/Cat.

My own prediction about Thomas sacrificing himself to bring back Alfred in the Nain Pit is something I'm more and more convinced will happen in some format.

The big thing, for me, is "How will King have a conclusion which doesn't mean "Batman wins because he's better at punching.""
    "The stunning conclusion to "City of Bane" is here! How will Flashpoint Batman be vanquished from our dimension? What will become of Gotham Girl now that she's betrayed all she knows? How will the Bat team cope without Alfred? Will Catwoman stick around? Who will rebuild Gotham City? Is Batman ever going to be Batman again? The event of the summer now closes out the year, setting the stage for a whole new path for the Dark Knight Detective. You don't dare miss the extra-sized concluding chapter to Tom King's epic run on Batman-and it all leads to the new Batman and Catwoman series!"

The 85 solicit suggests a whole lot of questions will get answered. Im anxious it will be too many to answer well though.

I think your Nain pit prediction could be true. Though I think if Alfred does return he probably will be effected in some way and may be retired. Opening the door to Bruce taking his role for Luke fox batman in the future.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/d...of-gotham-city

Some black and white art by Janin for the upcoming Batman 82.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/d...of-gotham-city

Some black and white art by Janin for the upcoming Batman 82.
    Looks really awesome! Brutal looking fight between Bane and...probably Bruce, since he has dark hair.

It only counts if they are butt-ass naked like issue 69.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I could see that being the climax actually, three guys sitting around arguing about whose plan put them there, and the punchline being Catwoman upending all of their plans with just a little twist of chaos, somehow.

Incredible Member

I am a bit bummed that Alfred's death isn't as easily fixed by Clayface as it could be, but I think the Thomas for Alfred trade at the Nain Pit is still very much in the offing.
    Actually I think revealing Clayface was Joker makes it more likely that Clayface will be revealed as being Alfred, too. This run isn't too hung up on "how could this character be here and then make it there in this amount of time?"