Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So nice to have a place where we can sum up our experience with King's current run with Batman. I hadn't read anything by him when Rebirth started, though mere months later I would start collecting The Vision in two spanish tpb, from Panini Comics.

I didn't fall for his Batman inmediatly, I would say it was in the middle of I Am Suicide, with the letter to Catwoman, when I took awareness of some of his take and plans for the character. I dig how he introduced and how he has play with the ideas of a Batman that became unsure of the path he has chosen and that wants happiness but is too afraid to go for it. I'm not a shipper, so I didn't care who King would chose as Bruce's love partner, and since I like how he has been handling the Bat/Cat relationship, I don't have complaints with his choice.

He has given quite a few surprises throughout his run. I didn't expect the proposal, nor Batman "talking" to his mother while fighting Bane. Knowing what he had in mind, I Am Gotham has really improve upon further re-readings, and a lot of what came later was already hinted there, still, I find it to be some of his weakest work with Batman yet. Not bad, but I feel he still wasn't entirely comfortable with what he was doing or how to do it. The entire run has been plagued with good art, most of it beautiful, and I think it's a pretty stable run if we talk about quality, once it took off in I Am Suicide I have seen few lows that remind me of I Am Gotham.

I don't know what to expect of the wedding, since this run has been full of surprises that I didn't see coming, especially on how it did some things, more than the things themselves, but if it keeps the same approach and style, I don't see reason to fear for its quality. If it changes those aspects, there's always the chance that it's something that can live up to what came before, though different, and King has yet to let me down. I appreciate some of his works more than others, but I haven't read something from him that I find genuinely bad
    Last edited by Chubistian; 06-10-2018 at 10:36 PM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH