Page 79 of 134 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389129 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1999
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

since we are just speculating here, what if it's that original character King created in that arc arc with wonder woman? I hardly remember him, but I remember King saying he would show up again.

The Gentle Man certainly has the ability to fight to be a good replacement for Batman on the physical side, but as he demonstrated any ability to seek out clues and motives ? After all, he fights endlessly against a horde of monster more than he seeks the guilty.

He had the mental fortitude, however, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I feel like no matter if this happens or not, I don't know how much it would be effected or built up in King's run, because even though he may have initially pitched up the concept, there's nothing really in his work at all that would appear to be heading in this direction.

You could look through other books, like New Rorsarch, Duke, Black Lightning, etc., and can see where that would go, but there's nothing in King's work that indicates that's where he's headed.

And when it comes to information like this through BC, its best to take some of it with a grain of salt. They were the ones who broke the him leaving Batman story, while also incorrectly stating he was fired.
    That's not true. BC never said he was fired they just said that Harras didn't like what he was doing on Batman and moved him off the title.

We don't know if that is true or not since we don't have a statement from Harras. We know King is working on New Gods but that doesn't explain why he had to leave Batman.

Point is we have no reason to assume that part was a lie. We have no evidence. But we all know he is off Batman as they reported so this new story could be legit.

A post on Reddit a bout 3 weeks ago from a fan who spoke to Tomasi at a con stated that when asked if he's interested in taking over after King the writer said maybe after the writer that followed King but not directly. Siting too controversial or something along those lines.

While I don't see the idea of a black Batman remotely controversial this could be what he was hinting at. Depending on the direction the story plans to go and with how shallow, misguided and insensitive HIC was. Lord knows what they mean by A Black Batman and the public reaction to it.

If this story is legit might explain why King had to leave the Title. A white guy writing about the public's reaction to a black Batman is a delicate issue.
    Last edited by dietrich; 09-03-2019 at 04:43 AM.

Mighty Member

I kind of doubt that BC rumor has anything to do with King's run. I'd say it's 50/50 on being a Snyder idea (spinning out of JL) or a Bendis/new Batman writer idea (that's part of the pitch to take over the title). It hardly fits into what we know of what King is doing (ending the Bane/Thomas story, setting up Bat/Cat + Phantasm). I mean, unless BatCat 12 ends with Bruce retiring and someone randomly appearing as Batman in the final panel and he's handing off the character to someone else . . .
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I kind of doubt that BC rumor has anything to do with King's run. I'd say it's 50/50 on being a Snyder idea (spinning out of JL) or a Bendis/new Batman writer idea (that's part of the pitch to take over the title). It hardly fits into what we know of what King is doing (ending the Bane/Thomas story, setting up Bat/Cat + Phantasm). I mean, unless BatCat 12 ends with Bruce retiring and someone randomly appearing as Batman in the final panel and he's handing off the character to someone else . . .
    He might retire then come back once he's has his confidence back and isn't suffering so much emotional turmoil .

Society's response to a Black Batman doesn't sound like a Synder pitch at all.
    Last edited by dietrich; 09-03-2019 at 05:10 AM.

I guess the Gentle Man could work, I do think it would feel a bit jarring to suddenly have him be the main focus after such a short initial appearance, and that doesn't seem like where things are going with his intentions, but things chance, my perception on where the run is headed has completely flipped after the last 2 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    That's not true. BC never said he was fired they just said that Harras didn't like what he was doing on Batman and moved him off the title.

We don't know if that is true or not since we don't have a statement from Harras. We know King is working on New Gods but that doesn't explain why he had to leave Batman.

Point is we have no reason to assume that part was a lie. We have no evidence. But we all know he is off Batman as they reported so this new story could be legit.
    He did explain why he left, in the interview right after Bat/Cat was announced, he said he couldn't do a double shipping Batman book while also writing New Gods, his secret TV show, and the Adam Strange book at the same time, so they settled for making it a 12-issue monthly. And the reasoning for giving him his own book rather than using #86-97 was so that they could not only get the sales bump of having two high profile Batman books at once without actually double shipping, but that there's gonna be a "big Batman event" for 2021 and they need him to be in a certain spot for then, so presumably the main Batman book will be a long setup for whatever that new story or status quo will be (maybe that's what the black Batman is for).

Spectacular Member

Another gimmick that just wont work and DC wonders why Batman sales are in a downward spiral. King is horrible and a hack and should be replaced and a gimmick to replace Batman is just stupid. Im all for having more heroes of color but stop taking lazy route and create some new great characters. Bruce will always be Batman and we all know eventually he will return

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I guess the Gentle Man could work, I do think it would feel a bit jarring to suddenly have him be the main focus after such a short initial appearance, and that doesn't seem like where things are going with his intentions, but things chance, my perception on where the run is headed has completely flipped after the last 2 issues.

He did explain why he left, in the interview right after Bat/Cat was announced, he said he couldn't do a double shipping Batman book while also writing New Gods, his secret TV show, and the Adam Strange book at the same time, so they settled for making it a 12-issue monthly. And the reasoning for giving him his own book rather than using #86-97 was so that they could not only get the sales bump of having two high profile Batman books at once without actually double shipping, but that there's gonna be a "big Batman event" for 2021 and they need him to be in a certain spot for then, so presumably the main Batman book will be a long setup for whatever that new story or status quo will be (maybe that's what the black Batman is for).
    Do you have the link to this interview where he said he had all those things because as ai recall he only mentioned the New Gods as the reason.

Which made it strange since Batman is going monthly and then much later he accepted the extra work on Strange. I would really like the link please where he gives all those reasons. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Another gimmick that just wont work and DC wonders why Batman sales are in a downward spiral. King is horrible and a hack and should be replaced and a gimmick to replace Batman is just stupid. Im all for having more heroes of color but stop taking lazy route and create some new great characters. Bruce will always be Batman and we all know eventually he will return
    From the first post of this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    a place for people to talk about the book which isn't just a bunch of "King is a hack" "I hate this" "A new low for this book" etc.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Batman titles seem to be doing fine . I mean BWL has had ridiculous sales but it is good to see none batman titles like Dceased clean up.

Well King has been replaced sop that's one problem solved. Only a few more more issue to go. In the mean time there's tec, White Knight, Batman vs Ra's, Batman/Superman, Last Knight and more to keep fans entertained
    Last edited by dietrich; 09-03-2019 at 08:13 AM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Do you have the link to this interview where he said he had all those things because as ai recall he only mentioned the New Gods as the reason.

Which made it strange since Batman is going monthly and then much later he accepted the extra work on Strange. I would really like the link please where he gives all those reasons. Thanks.
    King went into details here: https://wordballoon.blogspot.com/201...-new-gods.html

There was another podcast where he gave basically the same explanation, but I can't remember it right now.

One of the other reasons, I think, is King has embraced what I've been saying since he started on Batman - he's incredible at 12 issue miniseries. He's not really that great on monthly titles where he has to juggle so many more things.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

This is the interview where he talks about most of this: https://ew.com/books/2019/06/13/batm...omic-tom-king/

It was also before the Adam Strange book was officially revealed, but we did already know him and Gerads had been planning the new project since Mister Miracle ended, so they've known about it for a while.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Batman titles seem to be doing fine . I mean BWL has had ridiculous sales but it is good to see none batman titles like Dceased clean up.

Well King has been replaced sop that's one problem solved. Only a few more more issue to go. In the mean time there's tec, White Knight, Batman vs Ra's, Batman/Superman, Last Knight and more to keep fans entertained
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    From the first post of this thread:
    I've been trying to encourage members to not respond to people who come here to rag on King (though, as always, constructive criticism is welcome! We recently had an excellent conversation about The Gift here, where several members talked about why it worked AND why it didn't work for them), as that's much more effective in keeping the thread clean and open for positive, analytical discussion and enjoyment than arguing back and forth. If you are not a King fan at all, and agree with a comment like the one being responded to here, I would request that if possible you refrain from responding here, instead perhaps inviting that person to join the individual issue threads with their comments.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status...53449567002624

King confirms that one of the final issues of his run will be about Alfred.

Feel free to speculate if this means Alfred will live or if DC will keep the butler dead a spell longer...

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status...53449567002624

King confirms that one of the final issues of his run will be about Alfred.

Feel free to speculate if this means Alfred will live or if DC will keep the butler dead a spell longer...
    Could be a eulogy type of thing. Or like when they did those issues when Damian died.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans