Page 56 of 134 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    If they did something like that, would it still be considered canon?

The thing that's really annoying is that King's run is sort of dependent on the ending, lol. Considering everything he's promised/hyped. Stopping it at this point is really messed up for people who've been promised a payoff to all of this. And he really sounded like he understood that in those recent interviews, so this is just horrible.
    Yes most likely...Morrison wrote Batman then jumped to Batman and Robin and then to Batman Inc. It all counted (until New 52 reset some stuff)

EDIT: Look at it this way...he was going to write Batman thru issue 105...if he leaves after 85 but they spin into a new book then he just writes 20 issues there. DC also gets to promote a "new" #1 on a new title and so on.... "It all starts here..." that kind of promo crap that companies love....

Mighty Member

One wonders IFF King is moving to a different title, would he still only go for 20 issues? There would be no "I did exactly 100 issues of [the title] Batman" goal anymore. Also, would it move to monthly? DC probably ought to add some clarity soon . . .
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Incredible Member

Well, I mean, that would certainly be better than the alternative. At least give fans the ending!

He said the Bane arc would go to 82, then three issues for the aftermath. If it ends at 85, there is NO time to wrap up the Bruce/Selina stuff, and that's the stuff that's been hanging in the air ever since the non-wedding fiasco. That would really be a total gip for readers to not give them a good ending for that. Especially after he kept saying over and over that it was the only the halfway point, that it's all part of one complete story arc, etc. Now we don't get that story finish?! That's AWFUL

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Constructive criticism, sure. Of course. But it's wonderful to have a thread here where 75% of the posters in it aren't on a campaign to destroy any love anyone might have for King's series. The other threads about his run are so venomous I avoid them as much as I can.

The posts about King's run have really made me empathize with those that loved Zach Snyder's take on the DCEU. Personally, I hated it and thought it a disaster but, while I was vocal about my dislike of his work, I never posted anywhere to tell others they were wrong for liking or loving it. The difference is that this board has a lot of vocal Zach Snyder supporters. Posters that hate King's Batman have made this forum an unpleasant place to talk about King's outstanding run so fans of it are reticent to poke their heads up, knowing they'll be told to explain their love of such a horrible series. It takes all the fun out of it.

And I'm not sure why this thread couldn't have "appreciation thread" rules, but I'll take what I can get. A place on the best comics forum in the world where it's safe to love King's Batman? Finally. And thank you.
    Man, this is the news I woke up to this morning and I gotta say...This truly sucks. Love him or hate him, Tom King always seemed to swing toward the fences and even his failures are admirable ones in my opinion.
    What the hell is going on at DC?

If they are moving things over to another title, that'd allow them have him finish his run out on his own terms (as a 15 issue prestige series ala Mr. Miracle), and get the main Bat Books back on a more corporate friendly path sooner. It's not like Detective Comics hasn't been ignoring King's Batman run from the jump anyways.

Maybe it is a choice he's making with DC. Rich admits he doesn't have all the details nailed down. King could legitimately just be burnt out from all of this. HiC has been getting a ton of backlash and he's getting death threats for it. Maybe he's just done with these big books, the mess of hate that comes with them, and he wants to end this run in a format that won't generate the level of issues with fans but still allow him to do it on his own terms? It is interesting that his Walmart Superman book unexpectedly skipped an issue this month as well.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    If they are moving things over to another title, that'd allow them have him finish his run out on his own terms (as a 15 issue prestige series ala Mr. Miracle), and get the main Bat Books back on a more corporate friendly path sooner. It's not like Detective Comics hasn't been ignoring King's Batman run from the jump anyways.

Maybe it is a choice he's making with DC. Rich admits he doesn't have all the details nailed down. King could legitimately just be burnt out from all of this. HiC has been getting a ton of backlash and he's getting death threats for it. Maybe he's just done with these big books, the mess of hate that comes with them, and he wants to end this run in a format that won't generate the level of issues with fans but still allow him to do it on his own terms? It is interesting that his Walmart Superman book unexpectedly skipped an issue this month as well.
    Except he was literally giving interviews days ago about the whole "change" he had planned for Batman in the last 15 issues. This came out of nowhere right after he said that stuff.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

What if this is all about legacy numbering? And his "leaving" on issue #85 means that he will be on whatever legacy numbering that Batman is at now, especially to match Tec

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    Except he was literally giving interviews days ago about the whole "change" he had planned for Batman in the last 15 issues. This came out of nowhere right after he said that stuff.
    Per BC, it was decided last week at the Orlando Con. It's possible things just came to a head there for him and they worked it out there.

I really find it unlikely that a big change was approved all the way up the chain at WB's, to the point where it was announced in an major interview with Hollywood Reporter, and then DC editorial got cold feet and fired him from Batman. I don't think Immortal Hulk outselling Batman is that big of a alarm bell considering it's a massive speculator book and that's obviously what's driving the sales. (I love Immortal Hulk BTW, but it's sales success is because early issues are selling for $50-100 and speculators are jumping on that hype train).

I said this in the other page, but I honestly believe it can't simply be just DC removing him from the book, because on every level, PR wise and professionally, it would be an absolutely terrible idea. It would ruin their working relationship with him and possibly others, potentially leading to one of the most successful writers currently working jumping ship to their competition, and as the other big news outlets pick it up, will only lead to even more negative publicity.

Especially with his big interviews happening like a week or so again, it doesn't really seem like they would have cold feet on a decision this big so suddenly, and now with some of Gerads' tweets, I'm willing to believe it's something else going on.

Also, I have high doubts they would be able to find anyone who would actually go out of their way to replace him, he's too well respected.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I said this in the other page, but I honestly believe it can't simply be just DC removing him from the book, because on every level, PR wise and professionally, it would be an absolutely terrible idea. It would ruin their working relationship with him and possibly others, potentially leading to one of the most successful writers currently working jumping ship to their competition, and as the other big news outlets pick it up, will only lead to even more negative publicity.

Especially with his big interviews happening like a week or so again, it doesn't really seem like they would have cold feet on a decision this big so suddenly, and now with some of Gerads' tweets, I'm willing to believe it's something else going on.

Also, I have high doubts they would be able to find anyone who would actually go out of their way to replace him, he's too well respected.
    The only thing that makes sense is if they were going to turn the last part of the run into a separate book/event/mini-series, with a new title, maybe? His interview from today is the second time he mentions that the last 10-15 issues is supposed to be kind of like a separate thing entirely, so...that would make sense to me. At least, more so than kicking him off the book when he's literally got 10 issues left write. At least this way we could get the ending.

I don't know if they'd be actively denying the reports yet if this was the case. Maybe they wouldn't want to announce something like that so early.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post

I'm pretty sure they'd find people. Batman is basically your ticket. Heck, they could just put James Robinson on the title.

However, I hope that whatever is going on, DC will make an announcement soon.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

He's well respected and he's also made enemies and thrown his weight around getting rid of editors and being difficult about artists. I don't think they'll have problems replacing him.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    He's well respected and he's also made enemies and thrown his weight around getting rid of editors and being difficult about artists. I don't think they'll have problems replacing him.
    Only editor I have heard who might not like King is Mark Doyle. Only artist who he's been difficult about is Clay Mann, and they're still very close buddies.

I don't think it's helpful to exaggerate issues, even though I would agree that those two cases were frustrating.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

FHIZ got some private scoop apparently. His tone changed pretty quick. Fingers crossed?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    FHIZ got some private scoop apparently. His tone changed pretty quick. Fingers crossed?
    Yeah, I saw that too. So frustrated that DC hasn't released any info.