Page 34 of 134 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast

I thought about the heart monitor too. The design of the mask that the “Joker” wears resembles the line indicating the heart pulses, plus the sound of the Roadrunner being similar. I knew about the Looney Tunes reference from before the issue was released thanks to Bleeding Cool, but you people posted some great theories about the reason of the chase! I didn’t give it much thought. Probably I was too occupied being amazed by the incredible art
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

There were a variety of sounds other than the beep, like a rumble and the whoosh of water. Probably actual sounds from the real world entering into his dream world.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Just noticed this now, check out that button on the sewer. Interestinnnnnnnng.....

batman-67-4.jpg

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Just noticed this now, check out that button on the sewer. Interestinnnnnnnng.....

batman-67-4.jpg
    I can't see it clearly and haven't read the last few issues. Is it the Comedian's button?? Is that thread finally being paid off?

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    I can't see it clearly and haven't read the last few issues. Is it the Comedian's button?? Is that thread finally being paid off?
    Well, this is a dream. So I think it's not more than an Easter Egg?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

I'm leaning more towards fun easter egg territory rather than important detail, though given Flashpoint Thomas Wayne's role in The Button crossover, perhaps this is Bruce's subconscious at work?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    I'm leaning more towards fun easter egg territory rather than important detail, though given Flashpoint Thomas Wayne's role in The Button crossover, perhaps this is Bruce's subconscious at work?
    That's a very good point. It's all subconscious, but I think that might be a good hint that will lead Bruce out of the Knightmare into his battle with Thomas.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    Yeah that's what I was thinking of, the Watchmen parallels linking to the Button storyline, which is tying into Flashpoint Batman.

I do wonder after all this, will all of Batman's subconscious clues he's giving himself allow him to break out of the Knightmares himself, or will he be forcefully awakened by Bane, Thomas, etc. instead?

I'm betting he'll wake himself, because he's BATMAN!

Incredible Member

One thing that everyone can agree on re. King's Batman is that it has polarized readers, with some thinking it is epic while others think it is a heaping pile of garbage.

Some musings though:

(1) Does any feel/think that by the end of his run, everything will make sense and when read in the collected edition it will be "good"/ a classic?

(2) Does he need to "explain" the message of any issue(s) via twitter, interviews etc? If yes, what does that say about his writing/ understanding of the character?

(NB: I've read and highly rate both Vision and Mister Miracle - but we're talking his Batman run here).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    One thing that everyone can agree on re. King's Batman is that it has polarized readers, with some thinking it is epic while others think it is a heaping pile of garbage.

Some musings though:

(1) Does any feel/think that by the end of his run, everything will make sense and when read in the collected edition it will be "good"/ a classic?

(2) Does he need to "explain" the message of any issue(s) via twitter, interviews etc? If yes, what does that say about his writing/ understanding of the character?

(NB: I've read and highly rate both Vision and Mister Miracle - but we're talking his Batman run here).
    (1) Having re-read 1-50 in rapid succession a few weeks ago, I do think it goes much better in big chunks. There are definitely slow issues, or issues whose context is missing (the start of Knightmares), but if you're just plowing through them, it all kind of hangs together. When we get to the end, I think Bruce's emotional arc will make sense and probably be pretty enjoyable. I'm getting more concerned that the "What was Bane's plan and how did it work?" part will not hang together at all.

As a side note, I do hope when we get the inevitable omnibii, they include all parts of Monster Men, The Button, and The Price - the first two are definitely important to the overall story, and the third one, well, whatever.

(2) I haven't needed an issue explained to me yet, but the transition into Knightmares was intentionally jarring and I can see where people were confused (I was until I'd read a couple issues and got it). I wouldn't call it writing for trade, per se, but I think King's style generally lends itself to being better in chunks/arcs. Now, one could call that a huge flaw in a serial writing format and there's not a lot I could say to defend it, but I think when he's done around Dec. 2020, one could go back and re-read the story in big chunks and be satisfied (I hope - 1-25 + tie ins is incredibly enjoyable, but I'm not guaranteeing King sticks the landing on this one).
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Honestly, I never thought his Batman has been that "confusing", to the point where he has to explain the message of what each issue means in interviews and on Twitter. The current Knightmares stuff is the only time I've really seen him try to clarify some things, and even then, he's never actually explained anything, just kept to the vague "It's all connected", or "Everything will come together" like so many other writers do.

I will say I do think one flaw with the Knightmares, and some of his other issues, is he's trying to have things both ways, wanting them to be standalone enjoyable stories, while also having to read every issue in order to completely understand it, which I don't think completely fits together all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    (1) Having re-read 1-50 in rapid succession a few weeks ago, I do think it goes much better in big chunks. There are definitely slow issues, or issues whose context is missing (the start of Knightmares), but if you're just plowing through them, it all kind of hangs together. When we get to the end, I think Bruce's emotional arc will make sense and probably be pretty enjoyable. I'm getting more concerned that the "What was Bane's plan and how did it work?" part will not hang together at all.
    Yeah I agree with you there, his emotional arc and everything going with him personally has been really well executed and everything that's happened regarding it makes sense, it's just Bane's actual planning and scheming I'm still really iffy on, because I'm hoping they don't go too far with him as the "Ultimate Master Manipulator"
    Last edited by Inversed; 03-23-2019 at 01:27 PM.

How does King keep surprising me while working with an 80-year-old character who's been a constant pop cultural presence for decades? It took me a few pages to warm to this issue because of its rigorously minimalist approach, but I ended up amazed. The layers packed into this simple little package are remarkable. I can't believe I didn't connect the "beep beep" to the Road Runner until I saw that pointed out in this thread (especially because I did catch the Wile E. Coyote reference and the fact that the bartender was Porky from King's WB issue). I did think of a heart monitor, both in regard to the sound and the mouth of the Joker's mask.

Nice catch on the Comedian's button there, Inversed. I never would have noticed.

How pissed off are the King detractors in the regular thread? There's a war within me about whether or not to go look at it.

Empty is thy hand!

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    How pissed off are the King detractors in the regular thread? There's a war within me about whether or not to go look at it.
    There is no regular thread. It's less hate than apathy at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    There is no regular thread. It's less hate than apathy at this point.
    There's the regular issue discussion threads, and...let's just say there's a reason I resurrected this thread.